Something strange happened to my hard drive

Around 2-3 months ago I discovered my primary HDD (WD-1002FEAX-00Z3A0, it's a western digital) had 1 write error count. I kept checking everyday (I'm serious) if the value was increasing but it didn't until today.

(I did a chkdsk right after I discovered the write error count. Here is the log: http://pastebin.com/3t4yQshw)

Today I checked the value as always but to my surprise, the value is 0 (it decreased from 1). I don't understand. Is the HDD going to fail sooner? If not, what happened to that write error count? I'm so confused.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

SMART:

CSzpICW.png

Run WD diagnostic

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Run WD diagnostic

I did a quick test and it passed. I'm gonna do an extended one. But for now these are the screenshots... I don't know how to read the SMART values WD is showing me though.

Edit: When I hover over the value, it says: Attribute falling below threshold indicates a negative health status. And worst: Worst attribute value ever occurred.

So I guess, the write error count never ocurred? I also used Crystal Disk Info and in raw value (write error count) it had "00000000001".

SMART:

3VM7pPs.png

Results:

e4EwbjM.png

It could just be a fluke.  Do you have a UPS?  Maybe you had a power surge/sag causing some oddities.  The first screen capture shows no reallocated sectors or really anything to be concerned about.  As always I would strongly suggest proper backups and then just sleep easy at night.  Consider all drives as time-bombs.  It's a matter of when they're going to die, not if...

You may also want to read this interesting blog post from BackBlaze.  They have ample sample rates from the various drive manufacturers.  Here they a nice writeup on Hard drive SMART stats and predicting failure rates.

This is their TL;DR:

From experience, we have found the following 5 SMART metrics indicate impending disk drive failure:

• SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
  • SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
  • SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

It could just be a fluke.  Do you have a UPS?  Maybe you had a power surge/sag causing some oddities.  The first screen capture shows no reallocated sectors or really anything to be concerned about.  As always I would strongly suggest proper backups and then just sleep easy at night.  Consider all drives as time-bombs.  It's a matter of when they're going to die, not if...

You may also want to read this interesting blog post from BackBlaze.  They have ampe sample rates from the various drive manufacturers.  Here they a nice writeup on Hard drive SMART stats and predicting failure rates.

This is their TL;DR:

From experience, we have found the following 5 SMART metrics indicate impending disk drive failure:

• SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
  • SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
  • SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
  • SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

Yes. I have 1 UPS exclusively for the PC. Thanks for the link. It's really good.

The extended test has just finished. I couldn't find the log but in test result it says: PASS and I checked the SMART attributes again and they are the same.

Hi there.

Since the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool doesn't detect any errors and both quick and extended tests are passed, you don't need to worry and keep using the drive. 

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/