280x CF vs 1 290

Bubba200

I want to upgrade my computer to play some of the latest games and the upcoming ones two at ultra with good FPS in 1080p and latter on at 1440p. I alregty have one 280x and now I'm not shore wether I should get one 290 and ditch the 280x or get anther 280x and put them in crossfire. I only have a 750w psu though so I also need to know if the dual 280x will work or not (no over clocks). My cpu is the FX-8350

Get another 280x. In Crossfire it's faster than any single card out there today. Should be fine on that PSU as long as you've not massively OCed the 8350.

don't get either. Sell the 280x on ebay for $150.00 to 200.00 depending on style. and go buy a Gtx 970 or get an R9 290x

the 750W PSU will hold the wattage of your cards but wont leave you much expand-ability ware as the 970 will have plenty of head room for SLI and expand-ability 

There are a lot of R9 280X in discount these days from $200 and up, if you are willing to go used, there are some pretty good deals, ranging from $80-130.

Personally I'd just get another R9 280X  as the CFX on these cards scales well on most games; another option would be selling yours and getting something like a GTX 970, but I understand if you don't want to go through all the hassle, specially with some offers out there that are dirt cheap.

Also, tell us what PSU you have.

I want to upgrade my computer to play some of the latest games and the upcoming ones two at ultra with good FPS in 1080p and latter on at 1440p. I alregty have one 280x and now I'm not shore wether I should get one 290 and ditch the 280x or get anther 280x and put them in crossfire. I only have a 750w psu though so I also need to know if the dual 280x will work or not (no over clocks). My cpu is the FX-8350

Crossfire them!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

There are a lot of R9 280X in discount these days from $200 and up, if you are willing to go used, there are some pretty good deals, ranging from $80-130.

Personally I'd just get another R9 280X  as the CFX on these cards scales well on most games; another option would be selling yours and getting something like a GTX 970, but I understand if you don't want to go through all the hassle, specially with some offers out there that are dirt cheap.

Also, tell us what PSU you have.

The EVGA New Version SuperNOVA Nex750b 750w psu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025&cm_re=evga_power_supply-_-17-438-025-_-Product

It uses several different rails to provide power, be sure the connectors you are using don't belong to the same rail when you plug the cards in.

How will I know witch is witch... And wouldn't I want them to belong to the same rail?

How will I know witch is witch... And wouldn't I want them to belong to the same rail?

Just check how the cable connects to the PSU, usually if it's directly attached to the PCB it's its own rail, if it splits from, or is paired to another cable, then they are probably the same.

Each rail handles a little bit over 25A, each card will want around 21+ Amps, so it's ok for that PSU, but not for plugging 2 cards on the same rail.

Crossfire them

You selling thw GPU will earn you nothing

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)