*UPDATE* My Pc will randomly turn off (No BSOD)

Tripnator

So over the past week my pretty new pc will Just randomly turn off. The Power supply makes a click noise then its gone. But all the motherboard lights stay on and you can switch it on straight away. Parts list below, any ideas im guessing its the PSU or a short. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DfHDMp

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£244.94 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£84.12 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£125.20 @ Aria PC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£316.54 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Sandisk Extreme II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£113.17 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (£285.56 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 ATX Full Tower Case  (£109.98 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£154.79 @ Aria PC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.35 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1506.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 08:56 GMT+0000

*23rd December - Re installed windows 8.1 and only put the drivers i needed on but still turning off. 

So far :

Swapped PSU
Tested RAM
Re Installed Windows

Thanks For the help.

Is anything overheating?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

If you are running any OC, stick it to stock

check temps

check voltages

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Is anything overheating?

Nope all temps are low

If you are running any OC, stick it to stock

check temps

check voltages

nope its all running at stock too :( 

thanks for the replies 

power issues hard to diagnose.. 

if all the temps are good, signs point to PSU..  Got another one laying around to test ?

power issues hard to diagnose.. 

if all the temps are good, signs point to PSU..  Got another one laying around to test ?

tested a new one and it still powers off

Also as i was routing around inside the case i knocked the ram a tiny bit and it switched off... so i re-seated it and it was fine for a day but now its doing it again. any ideas?

tested a new one and it still powers off

Also as i was routing around inside the case i knocked the ram a tiny bit and it switched off... so i re-seated it and it was fine for a day but now its doing it again. any ideas?

Maybe try resetting the CMOS. Try testing all your RAM to make sure it's all good too.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Maybe try resetting the CMOS. Try testing all your RAM to make sure it's all good too.

thanks ill do that when im home. I kinda hope it is the RAM as everything else is new. 

That doesn't matter at all in a 1-rail PSU...

1. good for you

2. asus recommends it

I faced a same issue for 2 months even after i bought a new pc i used to happen. did try everything in my case... but the thing that solved the issue was getting a fresh install of windows 7(or whatever you are using.). If nothing works then try this.

[CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4350 @4.2GHz ] [MoBo: 970 PRO GAMING/AURA] [Ram: 2x8GB HyperX FURY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3] [GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] [PSU: Corsair VS550Watt] [HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB WD green] [CPU Cooler: JONSBO CPU AIR COOLER - CR-201 RED LED] [Display: LG 24MP88HV-S 24-inch Slim IPS] -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

random computer shutoffs are hardly ever software related.  The last time i saw a software related shutoff was back in windows 95 and before that days when CTRL+ALT+DEL would be the keyboard combination for reset..

loose or even bad ram wouldn't cause a hard shutoff either, it would definitely give you a blue screen, no post or a hard reset but not a shutoff.  Signs are starting to point towards system board.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran memory test and installed windows 8.1 again still no luck. 

I've encountered a similar issue whith a custom built that came into my shop a while ago. Random power-offs, good temps, and all hardware tested fine. We eventually found out that the customer had just screwed the motherboard directly onto the case without any standoffs, and it was causing a grounding issue. I would recommend re-building the whole thing, and making sure there isn't any contact between the board and the case.

I've encountered a similar issue whith a custom built that came into my shop a while ago. Random power-offs, good temps, and all hardware tested fine. We eventually found out that the customer had just screwed the motherboard directly onto the case without any standoffs, and it was causing a grounding issue. I would recommend re-building the whole thing, and making sure there isn't any contact between the board and the case.

yea i think thats my next step, i know its on stand offs but i suppose there might be some sneaky short on the mobo. 

yea i think thats my next step, i know its on stand offs but i suppose there might be some sneaky short on the mobo. 

Best of luck! If this doesn't fix it, could you send some pictures of the computer? We may be a little bit more helpful if we can see what's going on  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Best of luck! If this doesn't fix it, could you send some pictures of the computer? We may be a little bit more helpful if we can see what's going on  :)

hey so i finally got some time to take it apart and re install everything, Same problem i am thinking of buying the same motherboard again and testing it, worst case ill just ebay it off because i need my pc to do work ( even though it turns off all the time) ill upload some pictures later.