Burnt smell from my PC

Alex Kiss
Go to solution Solved by Alex Kiss,

Wow, I am super late, but for anyone interested in the reason this issue has occured, it's simple.

The rail I've connected my PC already had an other PC on it, two lamps and a few chargers. Turns out it was a cable within the power outlet that caused the burnt smell.

Using the second rail for the second PC and plugging the lamps and chargers on the third has fixed the issue.

I would like to ask for your help guys.

I am experiencing a burnt smell which comes from my PC.

So far It has only occured when I've played games, to be exact Black Ops 2.

When I'm browsing the internet, it doesn't occur, or so far it hasn't.

I think that the issue is my PSU, because I've read lots of articles about the same problem and the anwsers were a bad power supply.

Please let me know if the PSU I'm using does not meet the requirements set by the hardware:

i3 4160 (Not overclocked)

(Asus) R7 260x OC. (Overclock done by Asus, not by me)

One Seagate Barracuda HDD

Asus B85M-G

Fractal Design Core 1000, which included one fan at the front of the case.

One DVD reader/writer

And the PSU is from EVGA, it's an EVGA 500b. I've picked up this one because I heard good user experiences from EVGA products, and it is rated for the 80+ efficiency.

I tought, and heard on this forum that the powersupply would be plenty enough for this build, so if the wattage is enough, then I have got a faulty product from EVGA, right? So I will have to return it to either them, or to the shop I've bought the rig from.

Thank you very much for your help

Alex

Start sniffing around your PC when you have black ops running, to make sure it's the PSU, smell the exhaust.

Start sniffing around your PC when you have black ops running, to make sure it's the PSU, smell the exhaust.

Truth be told I wasn't experiencing the amount of bad smell from it, but that could be because I've turned off my PC immediately, to make sure I don't risk ruining other components. Also I haven't tried the paperclip ghetto jumping solution yet. (Not that I'm planning to)

I wouldnt advise you play anything right now. Does it smell like plastic? Ive had something similar with a crap generic psu that started melting plastic and even produced little droplets of plastic from the PSU. Can you find no other evidence of overheating? Did you visualy inspect every component?

I wouldnt advise you play anything right now. Does it smell like plastic? Ive had something similar with a crap generic psu that started melting plastic and even produced little droplets of plastic from the PSU. Can you find no other evidence of overheating? Did you visualy inspect every component?

Haven't opened the case, so I haven't seen anything.

It smells like burnt plastic.

Haven't opened the case, so I haven't seen anything.

It smells like burnt plastic.

Why have you not opened the case? Would you have void your warranty? Is your psu the only exhaust?

is it maybe your subwoofer?

Would be pretty weird because I don't own a subwoofer.

Why have you not opened the case? Would you have void your warranty? Is your psu the only exhaust?

It wouldn't ruin the warranty, but currently I don't have the time for it. I will do it later if the issue reoccures.

should then be psu, the copper coils are warming up the glue that is there for xtra tightning it on the psu board.

if not the copper coil of the gpu, or even mainboard.

As long as the temperatures are normal, it shouldn´t be a problem.

oh and check if the psu air intakes are not blocked

should then be psu, the copper coils are warming up the glue that is there for xtra tightning it on the psu board.

if not the copper coil of the gpu, or even mainboard.

As long as the temperatures are normal, it shouldn´t be a problem.

oh and check if the psu air intake are not blocked

The temps are perfectly fine and the exhaust is not blocked. I tought about the PSU fan not working, but I don't really think that's the case here.

Well surely the temps are normal but the smell is indeed a problem, it smells like utter shit to be honest.

The temps are perfectly fine and the exhaust is not blocked. I tought about the PSU fan not working, but I don't really think that's the case here.

Well surely the temps are normal but the smell is indeed a problem, it smells like utter shit to be honest.

I guess everyone would burn plastic instead of candles, would it smell good :,D

Hmm, please check if the fan is broken, I had a friend who came to me with his broken pc.

Changed his psu, worked. Opened his old psu, removed the fan and tested it, wasn´t working,

heat can be a problem, especially if the fan isn´t working

I guess everyone would burn plastic instead of candles, would it smell good :,D

Hmm, please check if the fan is broken, I had a friend who came to me with his broken pc.

Changed his psu, worked. Opened his old psu, removed the fan and tested it, wasn´t working,

heat can be a problem, especially if the fan isn´t working

Air coming out of it, fan works.

Then it's overheating right? Damn...

+1 for the glue thing, I had the same thing happen to me once.

It was a fan LED with somehow exposed wires that smoked the glue a little, giving the entire room dentist office smell and some white smoke.

Scared the living shit out of me anyway.

I'd try taking that PSU apart and maybe running it open for a second, investigate closer.

And when it comes to warranty, I have a friend who won't dust their PC, cause there's warranty sticker on the case and he'd void it if it were to be open.

You gotta draw the line somewhere :)

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

It's your PC trying to burn itself down because it's having to run Black Ops 2.

Or maybe you gotta two wires shorting somewhere possibly melting their rubber insulation.

You quite literally have to start sniffing around. Boy do I wish I could be there to see it... :P

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

It's your PC trying to burn itself down because it's having to run Black Ops 2.

Thank you for your hard effort.

If I could ask you a thing, please tell me if you find it amusing to tell people what to do.

I don´t think it is "overheating", just getting warm

From the official evga webpage of your psu: 

OPERATING TEMPERATURE 0° to 50° C

Link: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-B1-0500-KR

Thank you very much for your help, if I'll have some time I'll check inside.

+1 for the glue thing, I had the same thing happen to me once.

It was a fan LED with somehow exposed wires that smoked the glue a little, giving the entire room dentist office smell and some white smoke.

Scared the living shit out of me anyway.

I'd try taking that PSU apart and maybe running it open for a second, investigate closer.

And when it comes to warranty, I have a friend who won't dust their PC, cause there's warranty sticker on the case and he'd void it if it were to be open.

You gotta draw the line somewhere :)

I've asked for it when I've purchased the pc, if removing the sticker would cancel the warranty, but they've said it's perfectly okay to open the case.

It doesn't smoke, and I've been running it for more than a hour now and I haven't experienced any of the syntomps. Not even the bad smell.

I might even try to run Black Ops 2 now, but only until the issue reoccures.

Why don´t you send the psu to evga? You have 3 years warranty(don´t open).

If they check the psu, send it to you as "OK" back and your pc gets destroyed,

they will pay your parts.

Why don´t you send the psu to evga? You have 3 years warranty(don´t open).

If they check the psu, send it to you as "OK" back and your pc gets destroyed,

they will pay your parts.

Sure, and the whole process will take 3 months and I will not have a computer. #worthit

Sure, and the whole process will take 3 months and I will not have a computer. #worthit

#whynot hahahaha 

didn´t think of this <.<

• 6 months later...

Wow, I am super late, but for anyone interested in the reason this issue has occured, it's simple.

The rail I've connected my PC already had an other PC on it, two lamps and a few chargers. Turns out it was a cable within the power outlet that caused the burnt smell.

Using the second rail for the second PC and plugging the lamps and chargers on the third has fixed the issue.