Windows 7 vs 8.1 (Let's Beat A Dead Horse)

armycombatvet7

Ok final thoughts. I have both Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 DVD with keys for each. If you were building your high end rig with an SSD as the boot drive, which would you chose, why, and which do you think you will get the most out of your gaming needs?

I have used both for a very long time now. I hate Metro in Windows 8.1 and I use the classic theme in Windows 7 because I dig my old retro theme from Windows 2000. I'm running Windows 8.1 right now and I need to reformat my system and I need to pick one or the other, convince me and why.

Windows 8.1, much faster boot times.

Windows 7 if you care about benchmark scores, otherwise no point in running something that is loosing support in a year

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Windows 7 if you care about benchmark scores, otherwise no point in running something that is loosing support in a year

Extended support ends 2020... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

go with 8.1, you can disable the metro ui (if you didnt know that) its got faster boot times, apps open faster, more optimized in general and support for the newest direct x 11.2 and 12 when released :)

Meh, Windows 10 is better than both.

Well its not going to have the consumer version released for quite a while, and I doubt running a tech preview as a primary os is a very good idea.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ok final thoughts. I have both Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 DVD with keys for each. If you were building your high end rig with an SSD as the boot drive, which would you chose, why, and which do you think you will get the most out of your gaming needs?

I have used both for a very long time now. I hate Metro in Windows 8.1 and I use the classic theme in Windows 7 because I dig my old retro theme from Windows 2000. I'm running Windows 8.1 right now and I need to reformat my system and I need to pick one or the other, convince me and why.

8.1 tends to boot a bit faster and tends to have better minimum fps in gaming, but honestly if you like windows 7 then go for windows 7 the differences are not that much to really matter

OAS || AAS || LLS

8.1. Once you convert the Metro screen into a Start screen I don't see what the big deal is.

8.1. Once you convert the Metro screen into a Start screen I don't see what the big deal is.

I did that, its still got the metro crap on here. You have to deal with metro regardless.

8.1 tends to boot a bit faster and tends to have better minimum fps in gaming, but honestly if you like windows 7 then go for windows 7 the differences are not that much to really matter

I don't mind boot since I leave my system on all the time, but does it have better fps in gaming? I don't have a game on my system that runs below 60fps at any given time and I hit usually around 120+fps in most of them to begin with. I want DOS back too so I can play some old games I played when I was a kid. Windows 8.1 just hates DOS.

Meh, Windows 10 is better than both.

I tried it and I loved that they got rid of that touch screen shit. But it still has metro lol. And then they put those ugly ass search icons and shit next to the start menu where I normally keep my chrome and steam icons at.

I did that, its still got the metro crap on here. You have to deal with metro regardless.

Eh? Remove all the Metro apps from the initial start screen (as opposed to the app drawer below) and then they're all gone? If you really hate em you can probably just uninstall them.

go with 8.1, you can disable the metro ui (if you didnt know that) its got faster boot times, apps open faster, more optimized in general and support for the newest direct x 11.2 and 12 when released :)

I tried to disable metro and it never gets disabled. It does boot significantly faster but I never shut my computer off. Also, when does this new directx come out and is it really going to make any difference?

I tried to disable metro and it never gets disabled. It does boot significantly faster but I never shut my computer off. Also, when does this new directx come out and is it really going to make any differencclick 

it already has a newer directx version then win 7, and directx 12 should be coming soon, maybe sometime after Christmas, and yes the performance will be great, between 20% and 50% :D 

8.1 hands down.  Much snappier, everything works and it hasn't given me BSOD nowhere near as much as win 7 and not to mention dx12 support

ur forgetting a free update to windows 10 (if the rumours are correct)

I don't mind boot since I leave my system on all the time, but does it have better fps in gaming? I don't have a game on my system that runs below 60fps at any given time and I hit usually around 120+fps in most of them to begin with. I want DOS back too so I can play some old games I played when I was a kid. Windows 8.1 just hates DOS.

The minimums tend to be higher which would give a couple fps better average, you won't see more fps, but it should be a touch smoother, again though, it is only a couple fps

OAS || AAS || LLS

Latest = best.

Go with Windows 8.1, lots of improvements. People talk about Windows 8 is a failure like vista. But it is not. If you know how to work with it, it is best.

I just see it as Windows 7 with Metro UI.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

8.1 is sooooo FAST

i guess raid 0 helps too lol

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

it already has a newer directx version then win 7, and directx 12 should be coming soon, maybe sometime after Christmas, and yes the performance will be great, between 20% and 50% :D

They said that about Mantle too.....

ur forgetting a free update to windows 10 (if the rumours are correct)

It would be nice. But Microsoft seriously needs to give us some damn themes to chose from. Metro needs to get thrown out the window. I do love the snappiness of Windows 8.1 and yes, latest is usually the best (not in the case of Vista or when 8 first came out). If I can get Windows 10 as an upgrade and they change that ugly ass theme, I'll stick with Windows 8.1

So there. Windows 8.1 it is ladies and gents.

I don't get it.....you have both OS's, you should know which one you prefer better. Just use the one that you like.

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

They said that about Mantle too.....

and mantle does give a reasonable amount of extra fps, plus its still in development, mantle still haves some great potential to unlock in the near future