GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280 vs 270X

Go to solution Solved by JoaoPRSousa,

@Deano87 first off, Welcome to the forums! Always follow your topics, quote or tag us to get some attention and mark your threads as solved when you're done ;)

Get the R9 280.

Anyone have an opinion of the what seems to be a newly released Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 (not 280X). Mixed reviews on newegg with a lot of DOA and others working successfully. Performance-wise it appears to out perform the 270X with the exception of more power consumption.

I'm wondering if this is just an odd/off model that should be steered clear of and go straight to either a 270X or 280X. The 280 and 270X are about the same price and fits my budget atm.

Thanks!

Go for the 280, 280x, 290, 290x

They are fine usually,

and 280 beats 270x, 290 beats 280x, so on

@Deano87 first off, Welcome to the forums! Always follow your topics, quote or tag us to get some attention and mark your threads as solved when you're done ;)

Get the R9 280.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Literally in the same situation anyone know how much more power the 280 consumes than the 270X? or the amount of power total would be awesome :D 

Saw somewhere it was about 20%. It has a 8 pin and 6 pin, compared to the 270X having 2x 6 pin connectors.

I'm wondering if this is just an odd/off model that should be steered clear of and go straight to either a 270X or 280X. The 280 and 270X are about the same price and fits my budget atm.

Some percentage of any product will always fail, and when they do, those are the users more likely to post a review on Newegg. I don't think the 280 is any more likely to fail than the 270X, and even if it does, it should be replaced under warranty.

If you've found the same price on a 280 as a 270X, that sounds like a pretty good deal, as it's quite a bit faster. Power consumption is a little higher but that is by no means problematic for most systems.