Sennheiser hd 800

Cyrus

So im not really a audio fnatic so i won't buy these (don't even know if they're that good)

But why are they so expensive?

Watch the tour video and see why! :)

Yeah but still like 5 times more expensive than high end  headphones...

Because they look badass, probably sound badass and will most likely outlive any other pair of headphones you buy.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

@Cyrus many many many members in head-fi own hd800, they are expensive but not the most expensive headphone, sennheiser orpheus probably holds the throne with second hand selling for $6000++

Hd800 currently holds the title for best imaging headphone, so if you want super expensive headphone to match your xXXmlg420yolonoscopexXx in csgo, this is the headphone :P

Yeah but still like 5 times more expensive than high end  headphones...

Those aren't high end headphones, simple as that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Audiophile and professional grade hardware is always that expensive.

Just like a lambo is 10x more expensive than a regular car.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Cyrus many many many members in head-fi own hd800, they are expensive but not the most expensive headphone, sennheiser orpheus probably holds the throne with second hand selling for $6000++

Hd800 currently holds the title for best imaging headphone, so if you want super expensive headphone to match your xXXmlg420yolonoscopexXx in csgo, this is the headphone :P

Audiophile and professional grade hardware is always that expensive.

Just like a lambo is 10x more expensive than a regular car.

Those aren't high end headphones, simple as that. 

Get it :P

You can see the attention to detail in the craftsmanship, how if a part isn't absolutely perfect it gets rejected.

Research and development is another reason, this is the first & only headphone to my knowledge with a ring-radiator-driver (hd700 have it too).  They probably spent thousands of hours developing this product, and they have to pay those wages back somehow.

Also, $300 headphones are mid-range IMO.  High end consists of flagships IMO, things that were/are a companies highest-end offerings, or things that are over $500.

Things like the HE-500, LCD-2, Fostex Th600/900, AKG k812, LCD-3, HD700/800 etc.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

high end headphone gear are considered to be cheap compared to high end hifi gear such as speakers, preamp, power amp, cables etc.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

It's expensive because it's a different market. Sometimes it makes sense to raise the price. Don't forget, many people judge performance by price alone and those that don't are subconsciously affected. Observing the way things are priced, from cables to amps to headphones...I can tell that price colors the impressions of people a whole lot. In some circles something being cheap is a letdown and discourages people from wanting or buying it. Sennheiser is a business. Must the most expensive offering of a company be the most pleasing to most people or measure the best? Not really.

Because they look badass, probably sound badass and will most likely outlive any other pair of headphones you buy.

You see what I'm saying? You've never tried it but you've already made up your mind that you'll love them.

Ok, yes, the HD800s do some things very well. There's that. But it's not the end-all-be-all of headphones. They seem to be the poster child of expensive headphones and tons of people think they're #1 in the world, and these people typically don't know much about this area. This is still a great product, lots of R&D, Sennheiser needs market segmentation, etc.

$1000 for a used pair sounds like a lot but it's really chump change. A computer can easily pass that and has to be replaced every few years. College, slightly larger house, changing tile floors, traffic tickets for being stupid... all these things cost as much if not many times more. 

Get it  :P

Some of us have, we're just not telling the whole world about it.

high end headphone gear are considered to be cheap compared to high end hifi gear such as speakers, preamp, power amp, cables etc.

If we're going down the cables path we are going down a slippery slope of placebo. Audiophiles love to obsess over things that often don't matter, ei expensive amps and cables. The people that actually know audio are busy getting a speaker with the lowest distortion and the rest of the time spent perfecting their room acoustics, EQ and a bunch of other software settings. One of these approaches goes nowhere. I'll leave you to guess which.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Research and development is another reason, this is the first & only headphone to my knowledge with a ring-radiator-driver (hd700 have it too).  They probably spent thousands of hours developing this product, and they have to pay those wages back somehow.

The Senn guy at USF said HD700 uses a different kind of driver than the HD800, though. He said, that's one of the reason the HD700 don't have that crazy soundstage HD800 have. 

HD800 remains the flagship with their newest technology implementation. 

If you find one that sells for $6k+, get it. It can easily go for 20 grand+ for second hand. Instant 14 grand.

So im not really a audio fnatic so i won't buy these (don't even know if they're that good)

HD800 is the current flagship of the Senn. So to be fair, try comparing them to other brands/companies' flagships, like the Beyer T1, Audio Technica W5000, Audeze LCD-3, etc. 

And yeah, take a look at Stax products too. 

The Senn guy at USF said HD700 uses a different kind of driver than the HD800, though. He said, that's one of the reason the HD700 don't have that crazy soundstage HD800 have.

HD800 remains the flagship with their newest technology implementation.

They are both ring radiator drivers apparently. You can Google it and see they both use ring radiator drivers, I believe the reason for the hd800s sound stage is because the cups are MUCH larger and they sit further away from your ears and I think the driver is bigger as well.

I'm not 100% sure though because tyll seems to think it's something else, but other places claim it is a ring radiator.

May have to email senn and ask to be sure.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They are both ring radiator drivers apparently. You can Google it and see they both use ring radiator drivers, I believe the reason for the hd800s sound stage is because the cups are MUCH larger and they sit further away from your ears and I think the driver is bigger as well.

I'm not 100% sure though because tyll seems to think it's something else, but other places claim it is a ring radiator.

May have to email senn and ask to be sure.

Hmmm, looking at the profile pages of 800 and 700 in Senn's website, the HD800 got this line:

Biggest transducers ever used in headphones up to today - new innovative dynamic transducer design

While the 700 doesn't. Dunno if it's just a typo or they're really different. 

Hmmm, looking at the profile pages of 800 and 700 in Senn's website, the HD800 got this line:

While the 700 doesn't. Dunno if it's just a typo or they're really different. 

not entirely sure what's going on, tons of conflicting stuff, but then if I go to other places, it appears the hd700 just has a plain dynamic driver.

dgt3t.png

I have those baby I personally like them although if it's outdoors I love my hd598's better.

well yes they are expensive but as usual every different things on different price tag will be different per person if it's worth it or not. it may be worth it for a couple of us guys but at most it isn't worth it for the other half.

Live your life like a dream.

If you find one that sells for $6k+, get it. It can easily go for 20 grand+ for second hand. Instant 14 grand.

There's a member in Head-Fi with 2 FREAKING ORPHEUSES. everybody went bananas......

also: halo orang jakarta juga ya :D ?

There's a member in Head-Fi with 2 FREAKING ORPHEUSES. everybody went bananas......

also: halo orang jakarta juga ya :D ?

There's probably people on head-fi with millions of dollars worth of audio equipment TBH, Jude mentioned there's lots of CEO's and executives + artists that browse head-fi and frequent it apparently.