Should I get the Monoprice 4k monitor?

aba

I'm considering buying the monoprice 4k monitor right now. From what I've seen so far here are the pro's and con's.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12156&seq=1&format=2

Pros (for me personally):

4k resolution

glossy (I keep my room dark)

good size overall

adjustable stand

price - its ok at 400 CAD

60hz

Cons (what's stopping me from buying it):

TN - I want decent viewing angles

speakers - not sure about the sound quality of built in ones, although not a deal breaker

size - is a 28 inch too small for the 4k resolution? - will I be squinting at text and things like that?

Let me know if I should buy it or not. Are 4k prices falling? Is there another 4k monitor at this price point that I'm missing?  :blink:

I wouldnt get it, Its not really that monitor in particular, but 4k in general. 4k is expensive (will eventually get cheaper), scaling in windows is bad, and it is challenging to run.

I also think that 28 inches for 4k is too small.

Yes, at 100% scaling, you'll have to squint (if not, it's generally just painful) to read text. You can increase UI scaling in Windows, but some programs do no scale very well. 

In Chrome, I have pages zoomed to 150% otherwise it's painful to read text.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

The issue with reading text is the biggest drawback.

Its more of a media consumption screen rather than a gaming monitor, so driving it won't be an issue.

What kinds of programs are bad at scaling? I'm running Win 8.1

The issue with reading text is the biggest drawback.

Its more of a media consumption screen rather than a gaming monitor, so driving it won't be an issue.

What kinds of programs are bad at scaling? I'm running Win 8.1

Honestly, if mostly for media consumption then I would not get 4k unless you use Netflix. 

Screen real-estate for productivity purposes and gaming are really the only things 4k has going for it at the moment. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

One of the biggest things for it(text size and scaling aside) is that the monitor isn't IPS.  At 27" you can notice distortion to the sides of a TN, at 28" it's noticeably worse and so on.  So, I advise not and for the same price - a Qnix monitor can be bought at 1440p or can get an X-star(Same thing different name, little cheaper for some reason on Ebay).  I think for now - 1440p is perfect and crisp.  4k isn't worthwhile until it is IPS and affordable IPS, given that TN at 27" and higher is.. yeah.. not great.

One of the biggest things for it(text size and scaling aside) is that the monitor isn't IPS.  At 27" you can notice distortion to the sides of a TN, at 28" it's noticeably worse and so on.  So, I advise not and for the same price - a Qnix monitor can be bought at 1440p or can get an X-star(Same thing different name, little cheaper for some reason on Ebay).  I think for now - 1440p is perfect and crisp.  4k isn't worthwhile until it is IPS and affordable IPS, given that TN at 27" and higher is.. yeah.. not great.

Is there a 1440p monitor from a reputable brand name with good support? 28+ inches IPS?

Is there a 1440p monitor from a reputable brand name with good support? 28+ inches IPS?

Asus PB278Q.  BenQ GW2765HT, AOC Q2770PQU.  To name a few.  Though 1440p is -mainly- at 27inch and rare to be 28 unless it's 28 - 30 1600p monitors, but they're ridiculously priced.

Though I will point it out that the PB278Q by Asus, uses PWM dimming which for some people causes eye-strain and issue while using it.  You can find out if your monitor has PWM by taking a digital camera(phone or otherwise) and filming your comp on a white or black screen - if there is distortion - it's using PWM.  Can also place a small fan in front of it.  BenQ's GW2765HT and the AOC do not use PWM, so they're flicker free, but not many are affected by PWM, but it's a consideration.  The PB also uses a PLS panel which does have a difference to it than some of the IPS panels.  The BenQ uses an AHVA panel which is beautiful and has good color reproduction, 4ms response time for gaming and smooth tracking on the desktop and all in all - BenQ is great.