Question on Android Development over a remote desktop connection

Toltar
Go to solution Solved by Nuluvius,

To be honest I prefer the following infrastructure: Hypervisor running ESXi => iSCSI => Synology NAS. This way I can spin up n # of VMs for development/build/test. I can then RDP to any of them as well as manage all parts of this infrastructure over the wire when I'm away from home.

I am a Computer Science undergraduate student and I have been trying to learn Android but I have been running into storage space trouble on my laptop. Ideally I wanted to just upgrade my storage on my laptop to something that would fit all the Android SDKs and APIs and or just run it on a external HDD. Though my father is insisting that I just remote to my desktop at home and use the NAS server we have at home as storage. Though I am not quite certain on a few things about some things. Would it really be ideal to develop on a remote desktop connection? Would it effect the way the resolution looks for when I preview apps? Is there any benefit to it and if so, what are the benefits?

I thank you all in advance for your help!  :) 

use the NAS server we have at home as storage.

Why not just do that? No need for remote desktop, just forward the ports needed to access the NAS remotely and you are good to go!

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

I use various RDPs when I work from home and I haven't really had any issues to date regarding cross platform...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Though my father is insisting that I just remote to my desktop at home and use the NAS server we have at home as storage. 

Ii want a father like yours!

Why not just do that? No need for remote desktop, just forward the ports needed to access the NAS remotely and you are good to go!

Problem is that its a Synology NAS server, which I dont think runs windows. Which has me iffy on the support for software.

Problem is that its a Synology NAS server, which I dont think runs windows. Which has me iffy on the support for software.

Create a webdisk and mount it in your machine, you can that use the storage from your webdisk (NAS) to put in your projects etc.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

Ii want a father like yours!

Haha thanks  :)

Create a webdisk and mount it in your machine, you can that use the storage from your webdisk (NAS) to put in your projects etc.

Hmmm, I never heard of a webdisk before. Ill look into it, but will it be able to hold all the Andriod SDKs and work off the webdisk?  :)

Again I thank you for helping out  :D

To be honest I prefer the following infrastructure: Hypervisor running ESXi => iSCSI => Synology NAS. This way I can spin up n # of VMs for development/build/test. I can then RDP to any of them as well as manage all parts of this infrastructure over the wire when I'm away from home.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I use various RDPs when I work from home and I haven't really had any issues to date regarding cross platform...

Thanks for your assurance. I just did not know if would cause problems when developing my apps.  :)

Sweet! That seems like a good option as well. I will talk to my father about that.  :)

Thanks a lot! :D

Thanks for your assurance. I just did not know if would cause problems when developing my apps.  :)

I doubt it and even if it does there are so many different clients out there that you'd likely be able to select one that does work well. I tend to stay away from VNC based clients as VNC's architecture doesn't allow it to optimize so well. I primarily use TeamViewer, Chrome RDP or just basic default MS RDP in the case of Windows boxes.

I doubt it and even if it does there are so many different clients out there that you'd likely be able to select one that does work well. I tend to stay away from VNC based clients as VNC's architecture doesn't allow it to optimize so well. I primarily use TeamViewer, Chrome RDP or just basic default MS RDP in the case of Windows boxes.

Ah ok, good to know. I will be sure to stay away from VNC then.

Ah ok, good to know. I will be sure to stay away from VNC then.

Well I'm not calling it bad or anything. It's good for a lot of situations; it just seems to struggle with slow connections due to the way the whole screen is sent on each refresh and not just a partial region.

I don't want to upset any VNC fan boys, there's rather a lot of them!

Well I'm not calling it bad or anything. It's good for a lot of situations; it just seems to struggle with slow connections due to the way the whole screen is sent on each refresh and not just a partial region.

I don't want to upset any VNC fan boys, there's rather a lot of them!

Lol we all have our preferences. :P