Feedback on Day Trading Build

arcticbeaver

Hi there! I've recently gotten into day trading and I'd like to build myself a new pc. I won't be gaming at all on this computer, it will purely be used for trading. I plan on running 3 to 4 monitors on this computer. I already own a case and cpu cooler, so I don't need to incorporate those components into the budget. My budget is about 800$-1000$ not including monitors. 

By the way, I live in Canada.

This is what I have so far, any feedback is appreciated. I'm not sure which GPU to go with....

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/XM98XL

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($129.95 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($87.99 @ NCIX) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.27 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($58.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($199.95 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.48 @ DirectCanada) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $823.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-29 20:30 EST-0500

if you are not going to game at all you are not going to benefit from FX8350, get a i5.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Don't get a Kingston V300; they're unreliable (which is NOT a good idea for what you're doing). Get something reliable like a Samsung 850 Pro. The power supply is pretty overkill; you could easily get away with something like a cheap CX500(M) or even lower. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Summoning our resident day trader @MyInnerFred.

Everything looks good from here... The SSD seems iffy so try getting something different...

Don't get a Kingston V300; they're unreliable (which is NOT a good idea for what you're doing). Get something reliable like a Samsung 850 Pro. The power supply is pretty overkill; you could easily get away with something like a cheap CX500(M) or even lower. 

Yeah, I also thought that power supply was overkill, but are those CX500 reliable?

Yeah, I also thought that power supply was overkill, but are those CX500 reliable?

I have two CX430's (one being the semi modular version) and I've never had a single issue with them. Some people have reported capacitors blowing on them if they're pushed hard for a long time (I think for the older versions), but with a 270x and no gaming, you'll be fine. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

The CX500 is a reliable PSU, well at least that's what a friend of mine has claimed after using it.

Now to set you up right as a fellow trader I'll need to ask a couple of questions. How many browser tabs do you plan on using to collect information? How many trading applications will you be expecting to use(thinkorswim? 3rd party level 2 info?)? And now the off topic question, what sector do you plan on focusing on? Or are you just shooting for high volatility stocks? 

For a trading PC you'll want the best reliability you can get, with performance being the 2nd priority. Have a backup laptop or PC ready to go if your main trading PC is down. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The CX500 is a reliable PSU, well at least that's what a friend of mine has claimed after using it.

Now to set you up right as a fellow trader I'll need to ask a couple of questions. How many browser tabs do you plan on using to collect information? How many trading applications will you be expecting to use(thinkorswim? 3rd party level 2 info?)? And now the off topic question, what sector do you plan on focusing on? Or are you just shooting for high volatility stocks? 

For a trading PC you'll want the best reliability you can get, with performance being the 2nd priority. Have a backup laptop or PC ready to go if your main trading PC is down. 

I plan on using around 13 browser tabs with one trading application. I'm shooting for high volatility stocks.

I plan on using around 13 browser tabs with one trading application. I'm shooting for high volatility stocks.

Alright your good to go then! May the bulls drive your positions to success! 

Do keep in mind too much information can become a hindrance too so monitor what you need to monitor and read trader mentality, but I'm sure you already know. :D 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Thanks guys! I really like this forum, the feedback is great. I'll edit the build and post an updated version probably tomorrow.

What about a 840 EVO? I've heard they're quite good

What about a 840 EVO? I've heard they're quite good

Yea they're good, but if you're not going for the 850 pro, Crucial MX100's are also a great option and are generally significantly cheaper than 840 Evo's.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Alright your good to go then! May the bulls drive your positions to success! 

Do keep in mind too much information can become a hindrance too so monitor what you need to monitor and read trader mentality, but I'm sure you already know. :D

Yea they're good, but if you're not going for the 850 pro, Crucial MX100's are also a great option and are generally significantly cheaper than 840 Evo's.

I'm wondering what monitor to get... 1440p is too expensive, so I'm sticking with 1080p. I'd like something with thin bezels.  

If I'm not going to game, so does the monitor have to be IPS? 

I'll get one monitor now and I'll wait maybe a month or two before getting more.