American parts in a UK pc?

Go to solution Solved by xXxYOLOxSWAGxXx_420BlazeIt,

Hi guys,

Bit of a noob, never built a pc before.

I was looking at the UK and US versions of pcpartpicker, and I realised that the price difference between the two sites for the rig I want to build is over £200 (yes I did convert £ to $ and vice versa)

This got me thinking, if it's so much cheaper to buy US parts, why don't I do exactly that? (I know that postage could be expensive, so this only applies to smaller parts)

So my question is, other than the PSU (due to different sockets), are most US components compatible with the mains power in the UK? If so is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

Import duty and VAT must be paid when it arrives in the UK.

Add on around 40% from the USD to GBP conversion price.

The power supply is the only part that is potentialy not going to work. Make sure it has 240v listed as its input. Most have a red sliding switch, others will not require any input from the user. I doubt any from a good brand will give you any problems.

Hi guys,

I was looking at the UK and US versions of pcpartpicker, and I realised that the price difference between the two sites for the rig I want to build is over £200 (yes I did convert £ to $ and vice versa)

This got me thinking, if it's so much cheaper to buy US parts, why don't I do exactly that? (I know that postage could be expensive, so this only applies to smaller parts)

So my question is, other than the PSU (due to different sockets), are most US components compatible with the mains power in the UK? If so is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you mean by "UK or US parts" they are parts, they are used to make a PC, there is no such thing as... uh. the difference is price, nothing else.

You're reading this. Why are you reading this?

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Import duty and VAT must be paid when it arrives in the UK.

Add on around 40% from the USD to GBP conversion price.

The power supply is the only part that is potentialy not going to work. Make sure it has 240v listed as its input. Most have a red sliding switch, others will not require any input from the user. I doubt any from a good brand will give you any problems.

Of course it will work. Just watch out for those shipping & import charges.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

They'll work but just keep this in mind.

Prices in the UK (99.99999% of the time) INCLUDE TAX

Prices in the US, especially on the internet, DO NOT INCLUDE TAX

after VAT there is almost no difference in price, and if something ends up going wrong (component not working), then it's going to be an immense hassle.

My advice to you, just but the parts locally, and search for similar, better priced components were you live! For example, if you intended to get a Gigabyte GPU that it's cheaper in the US, maybe instead of ordering it, get the same GPU but from Powercolor that is more common where you live.

They'll work but just keep this in mind.

Prices in the UK (99.99999% of the time) INCLUDE TAX

Prices in the US, especially on the internet, DO NOT INCLUDE TAX

us here in oregon dont get tax, on or offline. ^~^

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I'm not sure what you mean by "UK or US parts" they are parts, they are used to make a PC, there is no such thing as... uh. the difference is price, nothing else.

That was all I needed to know, thanks!

Tax avoidance is morally questionable anyway, even if it would save you money.

Compatible with Windows 95