Ehm..... Photoshop using 6.88GB of RAM?

MeepLikesToBuildPc's

as the title says.

as soon as i launch photoshop with no other programs on my system crashes because it literlally ran out of memory.

i have 8GB of kingston fury red

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

as the title says.

as soon as i launch photoshop with no other programs on my system crashes because it literlally ran out of memory.

i have 8GB of kingston fury red

I want to say this is normal, i have 24gb of ram so i never had this happen to me

Well welcome to photoshop! That's tbh not that unusual, photoshop needs a lot of ram, an upgrade to 16 or even 32gb is for photoshop almost a must...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Go to preferences and change the max amount of ram it's allowed to use.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I want to say this is normal, i have 24gb of ram so i never had this happen to me

Oh.

i never noticed because my HP laptop has 16 gigs of ram and i want to photoshop something on my desktop PC real fast and now this :x

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Well welcome to photoshop! That's tbh not that unusual, photoshop needs a lot of ram, an upgrade to 16 or even 32gb is for photoshop almost a must...

I've never had problems with just 8gigs....

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

It really depends on how big the file your working on is. 

Source: Long time PS user. 

Looky here, small file = low ram usage. 

5935b63edefca303eaad8138a8823b2a.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

If you can get into photoshop, you need to lower the amount of RAM photoshop is allowed to use. It is in preferences under performance.

how do you go to preferences? yeah sorry i havent used photoshop in a Loooooooong time

how do you go to preferences? yeah sorry i havent used photoshop in a Loooooooong time

b3fda4eb5984076abbe3e8942f4eb5d5.png

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Me neither; every system I use Photoshop on hasn't got anymore than 8GB's and never had an issue...

Guys I think you're forgetting that the more ram you have, the more you use... I opened Photoshop and I'm only using 3.1 out of my 6 gigs of ram on my laptop.

Normal. I use 6GB with only chrome open :P

RIP in pepperonis m8s

ok. i allocated 3 gigs to photoshop but as soon as i want to add text or use gradient it just locks up :(

Me neither; every system I use Photoshop on hasn't got anymore than 8GB's and never had an issue...

If you can get into photoshop, you need to lower the amount of RAM photoshop is allowed to use. It is in preferences under performance.

ok. i allocated 3 gigs to photoshop but as soon as i want to add text or use gradient it just locks up :(

What version of Photoshop? What size are your files (dimensions and DPI)? Do you have 3D objects or smart objects in your project (how many)? What kind of GPU do you have?

Are you doing anything else on your computer that eats up RAM? (Running a VM, games in the background, Adobe Bridge open, etc.)

What version of Photoshop? What size are your files (dimensions and DPI)? Do you have 3D objects or smart objects in your project (how many)? What kind of GPU do you have?

Are you doing anything else on your computer that eats up RAM? (Running a VM, games in the background, Adobe Bridge open, etc.)

Adobe cs6

Don't know the dpi but the res is 1280 by 720

I don't have background programs running

Project only has a blue background no objects (yet)

GPU is a MSI 780 GTX

Adobe cs6

Don't know the dpi but the res is 1280 by 720

I don't have background programs running

Project only has a blue background no objects (yet)

GPU is a MSI 780 GTX

This behaviour seems very atypical. I'd run through this: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/08/13/10-simple-steps-to-better-photoshop-performance/ and see if it helps at all. 

Before I built my desktop and before I switched to using PixInsight I used to process astronomical images in Photoshop using a laptop with 8GB of RAM and IntelHD graphics... Some of those files were over 7000x3000px (example (38.5MB PNG, maybe don't load on mobile)). Even now on my desktop (16 GB of RAM) I run Photoshop, Illustrator, and Blender simultaneously all the time while streaming audio and chatting over VOIP and I've never had performance issues let alone out of memory errors. Something isn't right with the way your Photoshop is configured or something else on your system is doing the bulk of the RAM eating and Photoshop is using up what's left. 

If your Photoshop is pirated (no judgement) also make sure it's not bundled with a bunch of useless extensions.

Taking lots of Ram is normal for photoshop program, If you are want some program which use less memory then you can go with GIMp which has all the function of photoshop and that too also 100% free. Next version is of browser based. when ever i am away with my computer and cannot find any program of photo editor i always use to go for Photoshop Online free. Hope this helps thanks