Best way to remotely access my desktop from work?

bydus

Was wondering whats the best software to use to access my desktop computer from work in case I need some files I wanted to download on at home broadband etc. TeamViewer or other software ? 

I use NoMachine NX. I'm a Linux guy though, I can't vouch for its performance on Windows but on Linux, nothing comes close.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

If you have a version of Windows that allows you to enable Remote Desktop the easiest thing to do is turn it on, create a user with RDP access and a very complex password, and then forward TCP port 3389 to the IP of your computer in your router. You can then RDP to your external IP from anywhere and it will connect to your computer.

Example.

MYCOMPUTER - 192.168.0.11 running Windows 7 Pro

- Enable Remote Desktop (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff404238.aspx)

- Add a user with a complex password, restrict access from users with simple passwords.

D-Link Router - 192.168.0.1 

- Login and forward TCP port 3389 to 192.168.0.11 (your PC)

- Check the status  page to find your external IP (from your ISP (lets say 255.22.31.21 just as an example.))

From wherever you are remotely (work).

- Run Remote Desktop (mstsc) and connect to 255.22.31.21, your router will forward the connection to your PC.

Personally I run a VM with Remote Desktop open on the internet and I remote to it and then to the other devices in my house. That way none of my main computers are directly accessible over the internet. 

If its just files I think skydrive should work.

I mean OneDrive, it was renamed

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB