How clean do you need to get recycle items to sell them?

DeViLzzz

I know that tin doesn't fetch you much but I have a question about how clean one needs to get it to sell to companies that buy it up.  Anyone have experience with this?  Also if there is rust on them does it really matter? And last but not least anyone know what one gets for tin now?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Is this your new source of income?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is this your new source of income?

Are you being a smart ***?  As for it being my new source of income it is just something I wanted to do.  I was like why in heck do I put out to the curb something I can get money for?  I was told by one recycling company that it is much more worth it to collect pop cans and bring them in.  They pay much more for that.  Heck I was also looking at stripping down old pc parts I have that I will never use for copper wire and whatever too.

Also for the record Enderman if you were out to make me feel bad it worked.  I am on ODSP and I hate not working. Ok?  Have a nice day.

I am on ODSP and I hate not working. Ok?

Holy crap M8 take a chill pill...

I was making a joke, I didnt know what ODSP was until I just looked it up in my dictionary.

Sorry if you got offended, it was not my intention.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you being a smart ***?  As for it being my new source of income it is just something I wanted to do.  I was like why in heck do I put out to the curb something I can get money for?  I was told by one recycling company that it is much more worth it to collect pop cans and bring them in.  They pay much more for that.  Heck I was also looking at stripping down old pc parts I have that I will never use for copper wire and whatever too.

Also for the record Enderman if you were out to make me feel bad it worked.  I am on ODSP and I hate not working. Ok?  Have a nice day.

I do some aluminum recycling occasionally, it doesn't pay much. Since we've been working on my fathers home remodel all the aluminum framed single pane windows came out, and new double pane windows went in. 

Filled up the short bed in a Toyota pickup and got over $100 at the scrap yard. They also require a drivers licence/for of ID, just as an FYI.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Holy crap M8 take a chill pill...

I was making a joke, I didnt know what ODSP was until I just looked it up in my dictionary.

Sorry if you got offended, it was not my intention.

Well I am used to people taking shots at me. I was an open book on another set of message boards that others here used to frequent and so at times I can be a little sensitive.  As for taking a chill pill eh having an anxiety disorder that messes with my mind constantly and keeps me from doing what I want to do in life out of great fear eh so it is hard to chill. :)  Sorry for upsetting you.

I know that tin doesn't fetch you much but I have a question about how clean one needs to get it to sell to companies that buy it up.  Anyone have experience with this?  Also if there is rust on them does it really matter? And last but not least anyone know what one gets for tin now?

If your planning on doing scrapping yes it does matter if the metal is clean as in mixed with other metals that's what most places consider dirty metal since they'll need to break it down and separate each type of metal. Clean metal will fetch more money and can be done fairly easily by breaking apart things such as taking part an old computer where the plastic goes in the bin and the metal case goes in one pile, other metals such as copper and aluminum heatsinks, motherboards/PCBs that contain precious metals. and etc. 

Also be-careful when doing this in Canada some places don't allow people to pick through other's garbage or recycle bins for metal or things.

I do some aluminum recycling occasionally, it doesn't pay much. Since we've been working on my fathers home remodel all the aluminum framed single pane windows came out, and new double pane windows went in. 

Filled up the short bed in a Toyota pickup and got over $100 at the scrap yard. They also require a drivers licence/for of ID, just as an FYI.

I would get someone I know to haul it for me and provide the ID but really I won't have enough collected for a good while to make any money off this.  As for $100 hey if it wasn't too long of a drive to get where you were going with the scrap that isn't too bad. I'd take the $100 for what essentially would usually be handed over to the city for nothing.

If your planning on doing scrapping yes it does matter if the metal is clean as in mixed with other metals that's what most places consider dirty metal since they'll need to break it down and separate each type of metal. Clean metal will fetch more money and can be done fairly easily by breaking apart things such as taking part an old computer where the plastic goes in the bin and the metal case goes in one pile, other metals such as copper and aluminum heatsinks, motherboards/PCBs that contain precious metals. and etc. 

Also be-careful when doing this in Canada some places don't allow people to pick through other's garbage or recycle bins for metal or things.

Also, for anything that is contaminated, they'll still take it but as "breakage".

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

In regards to the picking through other's garbage or recycle bins I wasn't going to do that as I was looking at more at collecting stuff in ditches and down trails and such but hey if I can pick through someone's garbage or recycle bin and go unnoticed I will do it.  I know that many people around here do pick up stuff from people garbage for resale but haven't noticed people running off with metal.

In regards to the picking through other's garbage or recycle bins I wasn't going to do that as I was looking at more at collecting stuff in ditches and down trails and such but hey if I can pick through someone's garbage or recycle bin and go unnoticed I will do it.  I know that many people around here do pick up stuff from people garbage for resale but haven't noticed people running off with metal.

If you find abandoned AC units, those are worth their weight in copper and radiator/heat exchangers itself. 

Just something to keep an eye out. Some people even advertise on craigslist to come pick up old appliances for free, and then they scrap them for money.

Still not sure about a little rust on tin ...

Does it matter guys?

Still not sure about a little rust on tin ...

Does it matter guys?

If its under ~8%, then it doesn't matter.

Also, for anything that is contaminated, they'll still take it but as "breakage".

Yeah I should have mentioned that it'll be for a lower value that pure/cleaner stuff.

I think it has to do with the recycle companies basically considering it theirs when it's curbside if I remember, but I do know many construction companies will allow you to pick through their large bins as long as you ask since it basically lowers the amount of stuff they throw away, friendly neighbors also help.

I remember picking through those bins when my area was being built finding things like half a pallet of 2x4 they threw away which was ridiculous.