AMD or Intel? What should you buy?

RobbieX27

So i just finished uploading a new video in which i discuss the differences and try to come to a conclusion about which people should buy. Probably the most difficult question to answer in the PC industry but i think some of the points i made are pretty valid :D

Here's a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV5rV...ature=youtu.be

Also what are your personal experiences with both AMD and Intel? Which do we prefer? (I'm gonna guess Intel will win here :>)

Personally i like AMD. I think people need to start giving them more of a chance. :D

I'm an 18 year old Tech Lover and YouTuber from South England. Subscribe here - *Link removed* :D

I don't want to turn this into a brand war, so i won't talk too much about AMD or Intel. I must say that your video was really well informative, and you seem really composed infront of the camera, so fully props for that. Continue posting great content like this, i'm sure you will get a nice base of subscribers :D

I'm making this short, only for the fact I don't want it to end up being a "brand war" like Dave said. But my opinion is go with AMD if more into gaming (they focus more on that), and Intel if all around (internet, gaming, video editing etc..).

Great video! Very impartial. Need more reviewers like you!

You just gained a SUB :)

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Wow thanks for the positive comments guys! Means alot =D

I'm an 18 year old Tech Lover and YouTuber from South England. Subscribe here - *Link removed* :D

Seriously though, keep them coming.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I don't want to turn this into a brand war, so i won't talk too much about AMD or Intel. I must say that your video was really well informative, and you seem really composed infront of the camera, so fully props for that. Continue posting great content like this, i'm sure you will get a nice base of subscribers :D
Thanks. Means alot =D

Nice video! :) and super informative. I'm sure this'll help people decide which is best for them!

Nice video indeed.

My mind likes Intel, though my heart is with AMD. I think Intel is overrated for a lot of things. Most of the time you can't really notice a difference between something like a FX8350 against a 3570K during gaming. There are some advantages with Intel though, like a much larger choice of microATX or miniITX motherboards, lower power consumption, PCIe 3.0 (which isn't really important) etc..

Lots of people recommend Intel because people recommend Intel. Many people just parrot stuff that others say (Like ''Get Intel'') without really considering whether it's really valid.

When I started building computers amd chips were kicking intels ass and were cheaper to boot, its more a recent thing that intel have started to really push ahead in terms of performance , standing from the core 2 line of chips.

Last summer I built my first Intel-based computer I got me the i7 3770K, it works like a charm, and is faster than the speed of light.

However, i've always had this special bond with AMD products. Every computer i've had since I think it was 1997 (?) were AMD based. Through all of the memorable games i've played, all programs ran, and all of the benchmarks, general number crunchings, and overclockings were processed by an AMD CPU. Up until now of course.

When the first bunch of Bulldozer CPU's were announced, I was extatic to say the least. I thought this would be the generation where AMD would rise from the ashes, and take the crown from Intel! Sadly I was wrong. The bulldozers flopped, and I was in need of a new CPU, so I went with Intel for the first time, and hopefully the last time. I really hope AMD have something up their sleeve, maybe for the next generation of sockets, I don't know, but hopefully some day, I will make the switch back.

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.

My opinion:

Intel can produce better CPU. Many of Intel's i7s are way better than AMD's best CPU which is FX8350. Except with (maybe) server CPUs, AMD even lacks enthusiast segment for CPUs. FX8350 is not enthusiastic CPU. So far the battle is won by Intel. But many of guys, including me, are not enthusiasts. I game a little, just a little, I work in 3ds Max, UDK, Photoshop, etc... That means many i3s, i5s, Phenom IIs and FXs are just right for my. Though i3s are lacking cores for multitasking. It can get pretty heavy when Photoshop is editing couple of textures, 3ds Max managing couple hundreths of thousands of polygons scene with textures and UDK project. To be honest, I was never following too much news for Intel CPUs. As soon as I see the prices, I just close the browser tabs with Intel CPU. To keep story short, I think AMD ofers (much) more than Intel for same money. Phenom IIs were quite good, Buldozzers failed, now Piledrivers are pretty good and it's going to get even better as general need for cores grows. I'm not an AMD fanboy. I just don't want to throw my money to Intel because for the same amount I can get even more from AMD.

As someone who grew up around AMD CPUs and want's the most "bang for buck," I would have to go with AMD. Most of the people around me praise how good Intel is over AMD, but can't justify exactly why. I think it's because they always see Intel as a sponsor for gaming competitions such as League of Legends and Intel's advertisements just seem more appealing.

Off topic here. There is something that sort of bothers me. So far in my computer science courses (computer architecture and assembly language) I've been taught CPU architectures starting with IA-32 or x86. My professor and textbook only mention the implementations that Intel has done with their Intel 64 and even showed me intel's family tree of processors. I have never seen AMD's implementation or history mentioned in those classes. What's up with that? Maybe I'm not that far along my comp sci degree yet.

Great video! Very difficult subject to discuss, you handled it really well...Logan should be taking notes :p Keep it up! :)

choosing between AMD or Intel is all personal preference i believe

I recommend 8350's to people all the time. The performance difference between that and the 3570k is negligible for the average use and the 8350 comes in around $20 cheaper. Not that you shouldn't go for the i5, it's also a brilliant chip. but with decent motherboards on the AM3+ platform coming in quite a bit cheaper than decent 1155 motherboards also, it does allow for better performance per dollar in fresh builds :)

Even if you're chucking a rig together for a mate, you can save him a bit of cash and still give him the ability to OC. You can reach around 5ghz on air with the 8350, which mightn't give to big of a performance increase, but would be pretty fun and a good learning experience.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

This video is really interesting!

http://youtu.be/eu8Sekdb-I

Looks like FX8350 beats many more expensive Intels, even one i7. 3570K is flushed by FX8350 :)

Off topic here. There is something that sort of bothers me. So far in my computer science courses (computer architecture and assembly language) I've been taught CPU architectures starting with IA-32 or x86. My professor and textbook only mention the implementations that Intel has done with their Intel 64 and even showed me intel's family tree of processors. I have never seen AMD's implementation or history mentioned in those classes. What's up with that? Maybe I'm not that far along my comp sci degree yet.

Interesting... AMD produced the first real multiple core CPU.Did they taught you at least that?

You are right.Maybe it's about Intel's marketing sponsoring gamers.

My conclusion for this topic:

If you ARE NOT an enthusiast, just go for AMD and you'll be just fine. I would recommend avoiding first generations of FXs (Buldozzer), second generation with FX8350 (Piledriver) is much better.

I also think of AMD to be value oriented. But I know Intel has some very good value chips. Now it comes down to what I need my computer for. High-end gaming and rendering for Intel lighter stuff AMD. Really though, it is just whatever feature set you find best.

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

choosing between AMD or Intel is all personal preference i believe

this

you need a cheap HTPC go for AMD APU

you want a standard pc go for Intel Pentium sandy/ivy bridge (way better price/preformance then a Athlon II X 2/3)

you want a gaming pc IMHO go for Intel cause most games dont utilize more then 2 cores and per core Intel produces stronger cores

you want a Server go for Intel lower TDP and more performance

and no im not a Intel fanboy if AMD where better then i would chose them over Intel without a doupt

Personally I'd say its up to what the person need it for, if its plain gaming and bang for buck then AMD is clearly what they need, if its more performance and price isn't an issue and the task at hand requires heavy lifting then Intel is what that person needs. At the end of the day though I would get Intel, I do more then just game and browse the web so the correct way to phrase it would be I needed an Intel CPU because of the task at hand. For people who need one or the other and decide to not get it due to fanboyism is rediculous on one hand that person would pay too much or on the other get something that cant handle the task at hand. Though this is only true now, next gen CPU's might make my current statements invalid where one side is better for price and performance.

AMD was running circles around Intel back then... especially with the 1100T back in those days.. but nowadays, it all depends on what you do... if per core performance is what you want then go with Intel but if you need something that has alot of cores and cheap, go with the AMD FX.

I think AMD is going with the simple way to build a gaming PC kinda thing as their APUs are capable of running most games well enough without an dedicated graphics card whereas Intel is just pushing the per core performance way higher than most of us consumers need. Seriously, we don't need that much processing power for web surfing and casual facebook games. Most modern high-end games doesn't tax so much on the CPU anyway, though I might be wrong...

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

That was a good video. 1+ subs. Just to many Ums. I remember when AMD was kicking the crap out of Intel back in the P4 days.

AMD CPUs are more geared towards gaming while Intel CPUs are good all-around

All next gen consoles (New XBOX and the PS4) will be using AMD CPUs.

So by power of deduction, all future console games ported to the PC will be optimized for the current AMD CPU architecture.

Which means the majority of future games will run better on AMD CPUs.