Why Do People Say That The EVGA 970 Is Terrible?

nikolaizombie1

The way I understand it, the issue with the new EVGA cards is not with the cooler, but with coil whine. Of course you could potentially have coil whine on any GPU if you're unlucky, but from a lot of initial reviews I read of EVGA's 970 for example, many complained of an audible buzzing/coil whine from only a moderate load.

I'm not sure if EVGA has since fixed this in newer batches of cards, but it was enough to put me off buying one for a planned Air 240 build.

All of the 970s suffer from coil whine.  Heres a hint:  It goes away.  My EVGA 780 had bad coil whine when I first got it.  3 months later, it was gone.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Isn't Sapphire known for having horrible tech support? Or have they cleaned that up in the last couple of years? I have read horror stories about RMAs taking up to two months. I mean they sound like the anti-EVGA from what I have read when it comes to support, though their cards are supposed to be awesome when they work (never owned a Sapphire myself but my brother had a bad experience with one of their cards a few years ago).

Nah, Sapphire is good.  Its XFX that is the worst.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Cards don't get shipped overseas anymore for Sapphire's RMAs?

Can't speak about that, not sure.  I just know that Sapphire makes a lot of good cards.  Tri-X, Vapor-X, etc..

Can't speak about that, not sure.  I just know that Sapphire makes a lot of good cards.  Tri-X, Vapor-X, etc..

Their warranty support reputation always makes me nervous when I recommend their cards, but yeah, they have 2 of the best 3 R9 290s performance and temperature wise. Still, the XFX 290 has a lifetime warranty and I have heard much better things about them when it comes to warranty service.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150697

Isn't Sapphire known for having horrible tech support? Or have they cleaned that up in the last couple of years? I have read horror stories about RMAs taking up to two months. I mean they sound like the anti-EVGA from what I have read when it comes to support, though their cards are supposed to be awesome when they work (never owned a Sapphire myself but my brother had a bad experience with one of their cards a few years ago).

Dunno what others have had experience wise, but I have had (so far) a good experience with Sapphire and their support crew.  My post was only meant to impart to the OP that I would, if I had to choose, go for an EVGA product.  They, like Sapphire, are their parent GPU providers preferred choice of board partners.  I generally only go with Sapphire as they have supported ATI/AMD for many moons, and at this point, my 290 is what I need.  Now, when the new round of GPUs roll out, who knows.....I may get in the building mood and roll with an Intel/Nvidia combo...we shall see ;)

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Listening to some videos of coil whine you can barely hear it and in a case like a Define R4/R5 (Windowed or not Windowed) you probably can't hear it.

So really if EVGA is known for having coil whine it still shouldn't matter because it doesn't affect much unless you put your ear near the computer. Though in Linus's example it sounded kinda funny, though not annoying.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Listening to some videos of coil whine you can barely hear it and in a case like a Define R4/R5 (Windowed or not Windowed) you probably can't hear it.

So really if EVGA is known for having coil whine it still shouldn't matter because it doesn't affect much unless you put your ear near the computer. Though in Linus's example it sounded kinda funny, though not annoying.

i dunno what is the big issue with the evga 970 if they both have almost the exact same amount of feed back on amazon and newegg so i dont get whats the big deal, but both of these gpu companies dont send the card through amazon and i need to pay an extra $20 to get it shipped here 

Edit: the disadvantages of living in the middle of the fucking ocean