AMD Athlon X4 860K vs Intel Pentium G3258?

Chibify

which is a stock i5 4690k i was comparing i wasnt saying prce i was proing that you didnt know which was faster

I never said 4690k. I just said i5. You assumed I said 4690k.

At stock clock speeds an FX8 would do better then an i5 when using all 8 cores

"Rawr XD"

the i5 still is 4 cores last time i checked

So? It performs a lot better, because costs a lot more then an 860K.

"Rawr XD"

I'd go 860k, since in 2014 I'm not comfortable getting a dual core. However, there's nothing wrong with the Pentium and you'll be happy either way. But keep in mind games are starting to leverage more cores

Part of the Q6600 club

The Pentium when overclocked can be a complete beast in most games besides extremely CPU-intensive games like Battlefield 4, or even content creation/3D modeling.

(I have never tested any of these parts, and I can therefore never guarantee no faults.)

PC and Peripherals:

Intel Core i3 4150 @3.5GHz - ASRock H97M Anniversary - Kingston Fury HyperX Black 8GB DDR3 @1866MHz - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 - EVGA 500W 80+ Certified - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - WD Caviar Blue 160GB - Lian Li PC-50 - Linux Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS - Acer P221w 21.5" 1680x1050 60Hz - Kingston Fury HyperX Clouds - Razer Deathadder 3.5G - CM Storm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues

The Pentium when overclocked can be a complete beast in most games besides extremely CPU-intensive games like Battlefield 4, or even content creation/3D modeling.

(I have never tested any of these parts, and I can therefore never guarantee no faults.)

Yes a pentium can do all these, but the athlon is better for it as it has 4 cores instead of two. And for newer games like call of duty aw, you cant even start the game with a pentium.

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Yes a pentium can do all these, but the athlon is better for it as it has 4 cores instead of two. And for newer games like call of duty aw, you cant even start the game with a pentium.

dragon age and farcry4 does that has well...the 860k is just plain better in modern games..

the pentium is way overrated because its an unlocked intel part, but from my experience it stutters and hitch a lot with any games that use 4 threads or more AKA most games nowadays...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Depending on games, Ubisoft alrd pulled off the "You can't run Far Cry 4 with Dual Core" move and more devs will soon be joining. Athlon is more safe in my opinion as of now.

@Chibify

I'll apologize in behalf of the community if this thread ends up getting locked...

I'll need to ask a few questions about your plans to accurately answer your question...

What will you be using the system for? Are you planning an upgrade within the next three years? and How much are you willing to spend on your system?

At stock clock speeds an FX8 would do better then an i5 when using all 8 cores

if*

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Depending on games, Ubisoft alrd pulled off the "You can't run Far Cry 4 with Dual Core" move and more devs will soon be joining. Athlon is more safe in my opinion as of now.

Activision did it before Ubisoft actually.

"Rawr XD"

Even with the release of this g3258, amd still has this low budget market locked down. (now let me explain)

The only reason to buy a g3258 is because it is a so-so place holder until you upgrade within about a year or sooner to an i5/i7 of some sort, OR if you are building on an extremely low budget just to play 1-2 very specific games, otherwise don't even think about it. (i3's trade blows with the fx8320 and for the same price, might as well get a locked i5) If you can finagle your budget to afford even a locked i5, you shouldn't think twice! Most people just don't have the budget for such a cpu, so amd is the only real option in this price range. 

You really have to think about if/when you will get money to upgrade your computer even before you build the dam thing! MY ADVICE, for the people who may get money soon after building their computer, is to buy an i5 (locked or unlocked) and spend less on your gpu/other parts because doing this will elevate any bottleneck, ever, with your cpu, BUT ALSO having the best "out of the box" experience they possibly can for their $$$. Other wise, buy an fx 6300, fx4300, 860k, etc, because intel doesn't have cpu's this cheap :P

I left many pros/cons out of my post, but you people should really already know them. You should also know this was based entirely for the gaming (and only gaming) aspect of these cpu's too. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

@Chibify

I'll apologize in behalf of the community if this thread ends up getting locked...

I'll need to ask a few questions about your plans to accurately answer your question...

What will you be using the system for? Are you planning an upgrade within the next three years? and How much are you willing to spend on your system?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vps6yc

I want to make a budget gaming PC that can play all games pretty well. Ya I think i will upgrade within the next 3 years.

also, would i need to overclock the 860k to be really good like i would have to do with the pentium?

also, would i need to overclock the 860k to be really good like i would have to do with the pentium?

Yes and yes. Upgrade that g3258 (to at least a locked i5) asap!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vps6yc

I want to make a budget gaming PC that can play all games pretty well. Ya I think i will upgrade within the next 3 years.

The build looks good enough from here... I suggest getting an i3 over a Pentium instead... Or you can get a good cooler and overclock the Pentium to around 4.2-4.3GHz tomake up for the lack in performance on multi-threaded...

The multi-threaded performance is something that might nerf your system...

If you'll be playing more multi-threaded games, the 860K would be a better buy in my opinion... Overclock it to around 4-4.3GHz (which is easily obtainable with a good cooler and a good motherboard)... But this route comes at the cost of upgrade routes and single-threaded performance...

Z97 is only 1-2 generations from reaching end-of-life and FM2+ may be the same... so either way, you'll end up with an obsolete platform in three years... which is not strange since DDR4 is being rolled out and we're getting new architectures from both sides...

Yes you will need to overclock it... even if it is a small overclock...

well you have a free space heater with no future for upgrades

Lol its not even hot but thank you fanboy for telling me your vast knowledge about what i already own.

For the record i would have a 3570k and a Z77 board with no upgrade path and would have spent a lot more...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I bought it at the wrong time, and for like 50 dollars more, i coulda got a i5 4690K and a Z97 mobo instead. 

I bought mine back when 3570k and Z77 was out. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Pentium.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I personally had a better gaming experience on an AMD Quad core A8 than my G3258, a lot of the online benchmarks only show FPS... which is half the story. And they also show lots of single player games and games that you load up, finish in 6 hours and never play again.

Just keep in mind upgrade paths from the Athlon 860K are well... none.

Lol its not even hot but thank you fanboy for telling me your vast knowledge about what i already own.

For the record i would have a 3570k and a Z77 board with no upgrade path and would have spent a lot more...

Yet an Intel motherboard will live 2-3 years longer (personal experience with componentry on said platforms, especially cheaper boards) and the 3570K outperforms the 8350 by quite a bit.

CPU bottleneck will come quicker to AM3 than LGA1155. 3570K at 4.5Ghz (average OC which at least 50% of chips can get) still isn't bottlenecking SLi GTX 980s, but an 8350 does. (Not to mention PCIe lanes, unless you have the ASUS Sabertooth Rev 2.0 board for AM3+)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just get the 860k or an i5, why waste money with buying a pentium to upgrade later.

Yet an Intel motherboard will live 2-3 years longer (personal experience with componentry on said platforms, especially cheaper boards) and the 3570K outperforms the 8350 by quite a bit.
That's down to the board manufacturer though, I've had no end of issues with Intel boards but yet my As rock socket 939 board is still chugging along.

I personally had a better gaming experience on an AMD Quad core A8 than my G3258, a lot of the online benchmarks only show FPS... which is half the story. And they also show lots of single player games and games that you load up, finish in 6 hours and never play again.

The FM2+ still sports PCI 3.0 and SATA III... so there is an upgrade route for everything else except for the CPU/APU....

Z97 is also on its way out in 2-3 generations with DDR 4 slowly gaining ground...

Upgrade path from the Athlon 860k is actually a big one. Excavator. The Athlon 960k will drop into existing FM2+ sockets.

That's down to the board manufacturer though, I've had no end of issues with Intel boards but yet my As rock socket 939 board is still chugging along.

Not only that, because Intel has higher minimum demands of board partners' choice of caps, chokes etc. AMD lets motherboard makers do pretty much what they want. Thus, cheap AMD boards are cheaper than cheap Intel boards, but have higher fail rates. A good example is the MSi FM2 line-up, pretty much every MSi FM2 motherboard, especially one of the mini-ITX A78 or A85 variants, (forget which specific one as the board doesn't exist in support anymore) have such a high RMA rate that some etailers were refusing to stock them near EOL even if their suppliers had it on hand.

I bought one of those from Multicom late last year, they had 87 of them in stock when I did. Almost 2 weeks later I had to RMA it (board was electrically dead, didn't even start with the two screwdriver method) and contacted them, they refunded my money immediately and said I didn't have to return the board. When I looked at the site they had 0 in stock and a week later the product was gone altogether. When I asked why (I still wanted a new one since it was the cheapest ITX option) they said they had returns of over 60% on that board.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Upgrade path from the Athlon 860k is actually a big one. Excavator. The Athlon 960k will drop into existing FM2+ sockets.

Any details on when that's coming? I need to plan ahead...

-snip-

Any idea if this issue carries over to their A88X line? I was thinking of getting an A88X PC-MATE...