Fortress, my first build!

Niksen

I am planning my first build.

The philosophy here is to make a powerful, cool-running, silent monster. Simpel, right? =P

SLI is not for me. To me it is more like a upgrade option later on.

I think that I have some pretty solid hardware chosen, but would like to hear what you guys think?

• Any recommendations or suggestions?
  • Anything that I need to keep in mind?
  • Am I on the right track, or not at all?

Case:  SilverStone Fortress FT02 Black USB 3.0

CPU Cooler:  Scythe Kotetsu SCKTT-1000
GPU:  MSI GeForce GTX 980 GAMING 4
CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K
MoBo:  ASUS Z97-PRO (WiFi AC)
RAM:  Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 DC 16GB

PSU:  Seasonic X Series Gold - 750W

SSD:  Samsung 850 PRO SSD - 512GB

HDD:  WD Green 6TB

Other:
Monitor:  Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard:  Corsair Gaming K95 RGB MX Brown / Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Mouse:  <Got one laying around for starters>

Let me hear what you think :)

What do i think? IM JEALOUS AS HECK D:

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

It's not X99-based, but still powerful as hell. What about cooling, though?

And failing to act, for fear of the risk, is no different than a living death. No matter what world you’re in.

It's not X99-based, but still powerful as hell. What about cooling, though?

Well, the case has some of the best airflow that you can come by (and does it pretty silently), and the Scythe Kotetsu cooler is a killer, despite its modest size (and is also pretty silent).

X99 is pretty overkill, even for this I think :P There is not much benifit to it, is there?

There is not much benifit to it, is there?

There is practically no benefit at all, yeah. Nothing but ability to upgraid in the future. : )

And failing to act, for fear of the risk, is no different than a living death. No matter what world you’re in.

Use an ft05 instead if you want, smaller and newer

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

There is practically no benefit at all, yeah. Nothing but ability to upgraid in the future. : )

No benefit?

• More cores
  • More PCI-E lanes
  • More cache
  • DDR4
  • More expansion

Use an ft05 instead if you want, smaller and newer

Not that upgradable in terms of HDD and 5.25 bays. I plan to have it for a LONG time :)

No benefit?

• More cores
  • More PCI-E lanes
  • More cache
  • DDR4
  • More expansion

Unless you are rendering video, and game streaming Crysis 3 at the same time, I am not sure that it makes a very big difference. Not when thinking about the price at least :)

But I would love to hear about better alternatives at the same (already high) price point, if possible ;)

That Scythe Kotetsu aftermarket cooler looks like a poor mans Noctua cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | Cooling: H100i | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengence Pro 1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Benchmark: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4457125http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/hHZ8TW

That Scythe Kotetsu aftermarket cooler looks like a poor mans Noctua cooler

But this little guy, Scythe Kotetsu, cools just ads good, and with lower noise and weight.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

It is awesome!

I would go for a Noctua cooler or a H100i or H105 instead of getting some weird Japanese branded CPU cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | Cooling: H100i | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengence Pro 1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Benchmark: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4457125http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/hHZ8TW

I would go for a Noctua cooler or a H100i or H105 instead of getting some weird Japanese branded CPU cooler

Noctua makes some good coolers, more often than not with slight better cooling than Scythe. But when it comes to silence, they are slightly behind. And for me, silence trumps performance (as long as cooling is still good).

Plus, I want a heatsink that compliments the airflow of the Fortress FT02, without bending my motherboard under transportation. The Scythe Kotetsu performs excellent with little noise, while being pretty small. I can even add more ram, without removing the heatsink/fan. Scythe is a well regarded brand, that performs great in reviews.

Not that I am trying to disregard your post, but I just can't find any Noctua heatsink that fits my needs better. I would love a specific example with some reviews :)

[EDIT] ps. Water/Liquid cooling is not for me. I see no benefits, just added risk.