EA back on the right track?

Hi guys,

I'd really like to know what you think of the EA E3 reveals.

I personally loved all of them and I will get Battlefield 4 and the new Star Wars.

But over time I really had my doubts about EA. First of all Battlefield 3:

The game is about to be replaced and it is still full of bucks. Random deaths, getting stuck, shitty teambalance etc.

Also closing donw studios didn't really make it any better.

But now waht do you think? Are they coming back on track or will they be worst company the 3rd year in a row?

P.S.: They made a nice poll on battlelog!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.2GHz cooled by Corsair H100 | Mainboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z | GPU: XFX HD7970 DD 3GB | RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX | Case: ANTEC P280 windowed | PSU: beQuiet! 650W DarkPower Pro

Now @ University in Munich: Games Engineering!!!!

Didn't they get a new CEO?

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

They announced nothing about Micro transactions, you still have to access Battlelog in order to play BF. The new NFS is an online game with no storyline. They will most probably still be pushing Origin, their sports games seem a bit disappointing for something "next gen".

Oh, and day 1 DLCs are still there. Announcing a DLC before making a game available is BM in my book, why not put it in the Disc that I'll pay 60$ to get? Why do you want me to pay 20$ for some maps 1 week after release date?

I cannot comment on Battlefront since we barely got 30 seconds of nothing but snow footage..

I can't really jump to conclusions now, but it seems to me as if nothing has changed. Maybe it's just you who got used to it OP ?

i think DICE is definitely back on the right track, with mirrors edge 2 it gives me a lot of hope

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I see gaming as a hobby especially PC gaming that being said these micro transactions seem to be here to stay me personally don't worry about the cost of games I will buy whatever I think is going to be fun and if BF4 ends up costing me 100$+ so be it. I game and gaming cost money the days of non dlc gaming seem to be almost over. That's just the way it is.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I was never really that against them, they were in the part of the year where they ALWAYS make mistakes then after E3 they release all the good games and then it happens again the next year, its a cycle that always happens it was just a little worse this year.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If the new Mirror's Edge game gets rid of most of the gunplay or at least make platforming a more suitable option in all situations, more open levels (the city is one of the coolest I ever experienced, in the first Edge that is) and a story that's actually interesting - I might actually purchase an EA game again. The last one being, yea, the first Mirror's Edge.

Getting rid of online passes was the right step... until we found out when they went in bed with Microsoft and their new console.

They have a lot of things to correct.  Their business practices last generation was just horrendous and did nothing to improve the games industry.  I actually think they were setting a bad example.  Shutting down / ruining the reputation of devs (Bioware as the latest example) and forcing them to rush out games year and year out just for the quick buck.  Microtransactions and DRM in my single player game (Dead Space 3, Sim City)?  Get outta here.  DLC here, DLC this, DLC that... the obsession with Call of Duty (see: Medal of Honor and this article - http://www.gamefront.com/electronic-arts-needs-to-get-off-of-call-of-dutys-nuts/), forcing Origin on players, not putting new titles on Steam... well... i can go on and on on just how much EA annoyed me but you get the point...

EA needs to get back in touch with gamers.  Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront is a good start but their business practices really have to change.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

EA were never off track. A few people hate them for legitimate reasons. But then everyone jumps on the band wagon saying how bad they are.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Getting rid of online passes was the right step... until we found out when they went in bed with Microsoft and their new console.

They have a lot of things to correct.  Their business practices last generation was just horrendous and did nothing to improve the games industry.  I actually think they were setting a bad example.  Shutting down / ruining the reputation of devs (Bioware as the latest example) and forcing them to rush out games year and year out just for the quick buck.  Microtransactions and DRM in my single player game (Dead Space 3, Sim City)?  Get outta here.  DLC here, DLC this, DLC that... the obsession with Call of Duty (see: Medal of Honor and this article - http://www.gamefront.com/electronic-arts-needs-to-get-off-of-call-of-dutys-nuts/), forcing Origin on players, not putting new titles on Steam... well... i can go on and on on just how much EA annoyed me but you get the point...

EA needs to get back in touch with gamers.  Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront is a good start but their business practices really have to change.

What was online passes? Can you explain what they did? I don't really know about them

I maybe looking at this from a different prospective then you are but we don't know what the stipulations were when EA went to Bioware and said "We want you to make games for us" any number of thing could of happened EA could have said hey we want 10 games in 5 years heres a contract now sign. As a dev (Bioware) and EA (Video Game Publisher) there has to be some type of collaboration going on between the two and in the end they both decide hey this works lets go with it. 

Lets be honest here most games now a days look pretty damn good sure the story maybe the same thing but I mean c'mon lets take BF3 for instance saving your country from XXXX isn't exactly new but it's a WAR game what other possible story could you want from a game named Battlefield 3 from the title it self you should be able to guess what the game is going to be about. Which brings me to why I don't play the campaign mode in any FPS it's the same shit over and over am I upset about not really it's a WAR game I know that already. Me personally my BF5 would be called "Battlefield 5: The Invasion" kicking alien ass would be f***king awesome but then again thats just me plus it's been done before so.

The whole DLC thing is what it is having the option of adding extra maps, guns, etc just add more replay value until the next game comes out. For example BF3 came out in Oct 2011 I bought the Premium edition it's lasted 2 years with new maps every 3-4 months keeping it just enough new for me at least that it never got old I really enjoyed how EA/Dice did that. 

Keep in mind that I totally understand if your under age and you can't afford DLC's then I understand your points on the whole DLC thing.

The whole Origin thing I didn't care for either but after a while it wasn't so bad. Steam is 10X better but then again Origin not trying to replace Steam it's just for EA games.   

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

I stil stand by this video

"stupid fatty, it didnt even hurt!"

The bandwagon of hate against EA is huge on this forum because a lot people think what Linus or Slick say on the Livestream is always true and no one else is right.

Simcity was a disaster and i have to agree on that with people who mentioned it, but their CEO resigned and this is a good sign. Peter Moore was the one leading presentation at E3 which is a good thing.

Battlefield 4 has every thing we asked on the forums, Star Wars Battlefront and Mirror's Edge 2 are being made.... I can't wait to see all of these games. I don't see Battlefield 3 Expansions as DLC's, in every one of them either you got tons of weapons or tons of new vehicles and skins and great maps, every expansion was different and after playing for 400 hours it was a good investment even tough i payed only 20 Euros at release and 25 Euros for premium later down the line, you can also get Close Quarters for free now....

Origin vs Steam, steam is clunky and a lot of times unresponsive while Origin mostly isn't but Steam has the upper hand of the awesome summer/fall/winter sales which Origin currently doesn't have but it seems they are trying with their sales.

Also remember when there was a promo code that people could use to lower cost to 0$ of 20$ dollar games, did they remove those games you got for free? NO they didn't.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Just responding to a few points here:

What was online passes? Can you explain what they did? I don't really know about them

You can't play multiplayer if you buy a used EA game.  You have to spend $10 more for an online pass - on consoles that is.

maybe looking at this from a different prospective then you are but we don't know what the stipulations were when EA went to Bioware and said "We want you to make games for us" any number of thing could of happened EA could have said hey we want 10 games in 5 years heres a contract now sign. As a dev (Bioware) and EA (Video Game Publisher) there has to be some type of collaboration going on between the two and in the end they both decide hey this works lets go with it. 

I'm not claiming I know what happened between EA and Bioware either but you can't deny there's a significant drop in quality of Bioware titles the moment they went to EA.  Mass Effect 2 - while still damn good - turned into full blown shooter with little RPG elements.  Let's not even get started on the rush job with Dragon Age 2... Mass Effect 3 fiasco?  It's no surprise either the two Dr.'s that started Bioware are no longer there.

Lets be honest here most games now a days look pretty damn good sure the story maybe the same thing but I mean c'mon lets take BF3 for instance saving your country from XXXX isn't exactly new but it's a WAR game what other possible story could you want from a game named Battlefield 3 from the title it self you should be able to guess what the game is going to be about. Which brings me to why I don't play the campaign mode in any FPS it's the same shit over and over am I upset about not really it's a WAR game I know that already. Me personally my BF5 would be called "Battlefield 5: The Invasion" kicking alien ass would be f***king awesome but then again thats just me plus it's been done before so.

Yes, it looks good and kudos for DICE for squeezing eye candy out of hardware.  Love the way graphics have evolved but I'm an old school gamer who likes to have substance in their games first.  Pretty graphics can only go so far for me.  I do agree the campaign in FPS meant to be multiplayer first are severely lacking in substance.  

The whole DLC thing is what it is having the option of adding extra maps, guns, etc just add more replay value until the next game comes out. For example BF3 came out in Oct 2011 I bought the Premium edition it's lasted 2 years with new maps every 3-4 months keeping it just enough new for me at least that it never got old I really enjoyed how EA/Dice did that. 

Adding content AFTER initial game is released is fine with me.  I look at them as expansion packs, like Bethesda did with their RPG's.  But when you have Day-1 DLC's with code that are on-disc already (CAPCOM is also notorious for this), then that's just nickel and diming the consumer.  EA handled that with DICE very well... with their other published titles... not so much.

The whole Origin thing I didn't care for either but after a while it wasn't so bad. Steam is 10X better but then again Origin not trying to replace Steam it's just for EA games.   

I'm OK with Origin, too.  I just wish they also distribute them to Steam as well.  Ubisoft, while it uses their UPLAY to launch their titles, you can still buy them on Steam and add them to your Steam library.  That's just personal preference for me to have my digital games under one roof. 

EA deserved the hate from gamers as consumers with the business practices they introduced last-gen.  I don't think they deserve the "Worst Company in America" title though.

Let's just hope they get back to basics which they seemingly are by greenlighting Mirror's Edge 2, and reviving Battlefront.  As vic pointed out, they did a lot of right things with Battlefield 3.  Start from there and build upon it and apply it to the rest of your titles.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

the "only way" i buy a new Mirror's Edge 2 game is that they "get rid" of the PhysX crap   <_<

don't get me wrong "i truly love the game"

but that bad programing when you don't use a Nvidia card is unforgivable

the "only way" i buy a new Mirror's Edge 2 game is that they "get rid" of the PhysX crap   <_<

don't get me wrong "i truly love the game"

but that bad programing when you don't use a Nvidia card is unforgivable

Can't you disable PhysX on Nvidia cards? I think you can...

EA's problem isn't necessarily their games, it's more their complete disregard for customers and their stubbornness that causes them so much hate!

Can't you disable PhysX on Nvidia cards? I think you can...

The point I think he's making is that the game is noticeably worse without physX, which works best on NVidia cards (although you can use it on the CPU if you've got an ATI/AMD card) now. I guess this would be because DICE were relying on people playing on a PhysX enabled system, which not everybody does.

HTTP/2 203

The point I think he's making is that the game is noticeably worse without physX, which works best on NVidia cards (although you can use it on the CPU if you've got an ATI/AMD card) now. I guess this would be because DICE were relying on people playing on a PhysX enabled system, which not everybody does.

ahhhh I see now I didn't catch that...lol

I am on my prohibition of EA as of since of the release of ME3, (Wasn't the only cause but the straw that broke the camel's back.) and from why the things are looking now I will be for a really long time. I can't really fathom why anyone would take so much abusive marketing tactics from a company like that is beyond me.

DICE definetly is, not so sure about EA, things like that CQ is free now for non-prenium users still get me pissed

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.