8 or 7 for new build ?

PandooZa

I'm building my new pc, only I don't know which os to put on..

W7 is good, but W8 is also not too bad.

Which do you guys reccomend ?

Do what ever you like more, or wait for win 8.1 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Do what ever you like more, or wait for win 8.1 

When does 8.1 come out ?

Because I need an OS now :$

Is this build for gaming or what? If gaming I would say 7 or 8.1 when that comes out. Its really up to you and what you find best/comfortable.

For gaming and editing

windows 8 runs much faster than any OS

with blue you will have alot of fixes 

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Windows 8. Just moved from Windows 7 loving windows 8 no problems so far, games work perfectly!

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Windows 8. Just moved from Windows 7 loving windows 8 no problems so far, games work perfectly!

I got 8 right now, only problem I have is that I need to start my pc twice... It keeps freezing at the loading screen..

I can't see myself going to Windows 8 anytime soon. Is is not horrible with a keyboard and mouse? Linus is bang on the money. People want small movements. They don't want to move the mouse half way across the screen to select one app. I completely see Win 8 as OS for touch screen. i hope they split the product line and do a touchscreen OS and mouse & key OS. Either that or give out service pack for win 7 for a long long time.  

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I got 8 right now, only problem I have is that I need to start my pc twice... It keeps freezing at the loading screen..

Wow? I have never had that problem. All i did was install -> install my programs -> update windows 8. I currently have a few updates pending to download/install but i dont know yet :P

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

I can't see myself going to Windows 8 anytime soon. Is is not horrible with a keyboard and mouse? Linus is bang on the money. People want small movements. They don't want to move the mouse half way across the screen to select one app. I completely see Win 8 as OS for touch screen. i hope they split the product line and do a touchscreen OS and mouse & key OS. Either that or give out service pack for win 7 for a long long time.  

You still can use it as windows 7 ?

You don't need to use the Start Screen

Wow? I have never had that problem. All i did was install -> install my programs -> update windows 8. I currently have a few updates pending to download/install but i dont know yet :P

I don't know..

Everytime I start it up, it freezes at load screen.

If I turn it off and back on everything is fine ?:P

I choose Windows 8 Pro for my next build. Here in Norway the price is the same for Windows 7 and 8. I figured why not try it out and get 8.1 for free than spend the exact same amount on Windows 7. I've also not heard so many complaints from my friends who run Windows 8 so I don't think I'll be bothered. 

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

I like 8 on a touch screen laptop :), have yet to 'upgrade' my desktop to windows 8, don't see the appeal to spend that extra money without a touch screen, other than like slightly quicker boot times i suppose :D I would go for 8 now though, if I had the choice as a starting OS :)

You can always use things like classic shell or start is back to make it seem like windows 7 anyways...

Edited by SirReallySam

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Windows 8.1 is free upgrade to Windows 8 users.

So get Windows 8. Windows 8 is great without any additional software or tweaks, but only if you know how to use it.

What I am trying to say, is that it has a steeper than usual learning curve. After discovering and reading on it, you'll see how to use it efficiently, and like most, you'll prefer it over previous version of Windows.

Is Windows 8 perfect in every way? No. It changes things that was greatly polished since many years. That is why 8.1 is suggested, as Microsoft got more time to polish things, collect new telemetry data, and constructive feedback and improve things on that. Windows 8.2 (if that comes out), I am sure will continue improving things and so on. Microsoft seams to follow a yearly OS updates to compete with Android and iOS, to not be behind on the mobile devices world.

I like 8 on a touch screen laptop :), have yet to 'upgrade' my desktop to windows 8, don't see the appeal to spend that extra money without a touch screen, other than like slightly quicker boot times i suppose :D I would go for 8 now though, if I had the choice as a starting OS :)

You can always use things like classic shell or start is back to make it seem like windows 7 anyways...

have you checked out leap motion? that thing looks fun to play with on windows 8.

i never tried it tho , it's just my first impression.

@op get whatever version you want , they're both the same at the end of the day just with different user interfaces.

pi = 3.14159262358979323846

have you checked out leap motion? that thing looks fun to play with on windows 8.

i never tried it tho , it's just my first impression.

Leap motion looks AWESOME HA! :) will be looking into that!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Exactly how I feel too! touch is still fairly new to the market most PC users don't have, need or want touch for their home computer. Mouse and keyboard ftw so why such a heavy touch GUI.

If your unsure, there's no need to rush to windows 8 so stick with 7 for a little while longer. (I stuck with windows XP untill windows 7 =D )

I don't know..

Everytime I start it up, it freezes at load screen.

If I turn it off and back on everything is fine ? :P

Update your BIOS.

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>