TIME TO CHOOSE A GRAPHICS CARD.

nicolas2465

You guys helped me yesterday pick out a motherboard which I have now ordered, along with my CM storm scout 2 case and my kingston SSD.  Thanks for the help!  Now it's time for the GPU.  First of all I don't know which to choose between the new R9 AMD cards or the GTx 700's or 900's.  I've heard the nvidia high end cards use less power and crank out less heat, but they are also more expensive depending on where you look and the deals that are going on.  I'm aiming to be able to run every game on ultra so I was thinking of getting an R9 280x at first but my friend reminded me that for a bit more money the 290 would be a better choice.  Now I'm not sure whether to go with a gtx 780 which has similar performance to an R9 290 or even go for a gtx 970.  Any help here guys?  

Gonna be running

FX-6300 hexacore overclocked to 4.5ghz

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ Motherboard

Most likely 8gb of ram not sure which yet

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

The evga 970 is a great pick, significantly cheaper than its big brother 980 with similar performance

"This is a bad idea"

If you can go for 970.

Now I'm not sure whether to go with a gtx 780 which has similar performance to an R9 290 or even go for a gtx 970.  Any help here guys?  

Well you'll need to tell us a budget and your other specs. The R9 290, GTX 780, and GTX 970 are at different price points.

Ignore everyone just spitting out 970, because we can't determine a good choice without a budget or specs to match the card with in case of bottlenecks or future multi-card support.

"Rawr XD"

You guys helped me yesterday pick out a motherboard which I have now ordered, along with my CM storm scout 2 case and my kingston SSD.  Thanks for the help!  Now it's time for the GPU.  First of all I don't know which to choose between the new R9 AMD cards or the GTx 700's or 900's.  I've heard the nvidia high end cards use less power and crank out less heat, but they are also more expensive depending on where you look and the deals that are going on.  I'm aiming to be able to run every game on ultra so I was thinking of getting an R9 280x at first but my friend reminded me that for a bit more money the 290 would be a better choice.  Now I'm not sure whether to go with a gtx 780 which has similar performance to an R9 290 or even go for a gtx 970.  Any help here guys?  

What's your budget and can you edit your post to tell us your whole setup?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Updated, and my budget is 300 canadian, keep in mind I use shopbot.ca to compare all the prices to get the cheapest

Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold