Google Nexus 4, thoughts?

Owen

I got a Blackberry Bold a year or so ago with a 3 year plan with Fido (If you aren't from Canada you might not know them, it's a newer phone company) and it's been having so many problems I've decided to just get an unlocked phone so I don't break the bank canceling my term.

Anyway, I'm really liking the Google Nexus 4, it's fast, decently good looking, and it's unlocked from Google with vanilla android and speedy updates. The price at $340 for the 16GB version is also really appealing to me.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have some input on this phone or if you have it, what don't/do you like about it?

Thanks ;)

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I have the galaxy nexus and it's awesome already. The nexus 4 must be even better.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

I think that it looks pretty good but If I was given the choice of a stock S4 versus the Nexus 4 I would probably have to take the s4. Still a good phone from what I have heard

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

I think that it looks pretty good but If I was given the choice of a stock S4 versus the Nexus 4 I would probably have to take the s4. Still a good phone from what I have heard

Ya I agree, but the S4 is double the price and I don't want to spend that much :P

I have the galaxy nexus and it's awesome already. The nexus 4 must be even better.

Cool, thanks!

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Ya I agree, but the S4 is double the price and I don't want to spend that much :P

Cool, thanks!

Then my suggestion to you is that you get the Nexus 4. I dont really care about storage amounts on things such as tablets because when I am at home I have a DLNA streamer that just streams everything for me. :) 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Get it and never regret it. Great phone, amazing price point. Identical to the Galaxy Nexus, except for price and shiny glass back.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Very nice phone, though I recommend getting a case for the glass back.

I wouldn't say identical, the processor is a fair bit faster and the screen is a bit wider. Also I believe it has 2gb ram instead of 1.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Cool thanks guys, it's going to be my first Android phone :D

I wouldn't say identical, the processor is a fair bit faster and the screen is a bit wider. Also I believe it has 2gb ram instead of 1.

Last time I compared the specs, it was only a tiny bit better. It's been a while though.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Last time I compared the specs, it was only a tiny bit better. It's been a while though.

I've just thrown the towel in on my GNex, it just wasn't fast enough anymore, the JB update didn't do many favors for the Dual Core CPU. In fact the phone is practically identical to the S2, which still isn't a bad phone, to be honest, both are pretty good but slow compared to newer editions.

As for the Nexus 4 and Android, my god its fantastic. You'll be so pleased after coming from a Blackberry, heck, you'll soon be able to install BBM on it to keep in touch with the 'Kool Guys' still rocking one of those Blackberry things...  :P

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

have the n4.

the strong points are: cheap price, glass design, stock android, unlocked by default

if those 4 points don't matter to you, then you should look for another phone. otherwise, if those points do matter, then the N4 is your only option.

with my first phone being an iphone 4 and my second being a plastic gnex, i have a fondness for glass phones. the gnex is a joke of a phone.

I had a nexus 4, one day the screen stopped working, so I called google's nexus customer service department thing and they sent me a replacement immediately. After I got it I just sent in my broken one and kept the replacement, Over all the customer service from google was rather impressive.

As for the phone it self it is rather good for the price, well just a good phone even when comparing it with much more expensive phones. The build quality is not bad, not htc one like, but not bad. It dosn't flex a lot and it dosn't make wired noises when you do it. As for the cons, the major one I noticed was that the back gets scratched very easily, so cover/case would probably be a good idea. The only other one that comes to mind right now is that when you have the phone laying on a table the speakers become very muffled because the holes for it are flat with the back and get covered up really easily.

Over all I think it is a great phone, and the price just makes it better.

"No signature"

The Nexus 4 is a speedy phone with a nice stock experience and fast processor, what isn't there to like. It's been said before but Google customer service is really only second to Apple when it comes to phone warranties.

The Nexus is a beast.... But battery life and camera :(

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

I have the nexus 4 and its a pure vanilla performance beast, negatives i can think is just battery, sd slot, and camera

ive been thinking id get a Nexus 4 (here in Australia) ..on the googleplay store it says its $350 which is damn cheap compared to everything else

just waiting for my iphone 3gs to die.... im not really iun any hurry tho

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Got mine here in NZ. I really really like it. I only have a few little tiny qualms with it. Only little - Glass back doesn't feel too strong, it feels premium but I like what HTC have done with the One and Oppo has done with the Find 5, both tanks. Also the look isn't that amazing, I wish Google would ditch the curves. Sharp edges really suit the software, but I do like the look more than my old Galaxy Nexus and I'd take the glass over that plastic any day. It also would have been nice to have better viewing angles, just something that annoys me from time to time. Lastly, microSD - I never really cared for it and I can get by easily with 16GB, but I sync my phone wirelessly and it would be very time saving if I didn't have to cherry pick my music and just had my whole library sync automatically.

Very small I know, but that's because everything else on this phone is amazing and if I would complain about any specs then I should just be waiting for the next Nexus.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

The only good thing about it is the price.

The build quality is pretty bad, everyone that I know that has one has had problems with it. Mine just decided to never turn on again, had to wait 2 weeks for RMA.  Get the HTC one instead.

The only good thing about it is the price.

The build quality is pretty bad, everyone that I know that has one has had problems with it. Mine just decided to never turn on again, had to wait 2 weeks for RMA.  Get the HTC one instead.

Thanks, but the HTC One is obviously not in my budget, if it was I'd be considering that or the S4. (I'm buying a phone w/o a plan so they're really pricey).

If you can wait there are rumours of a snapdragon 600 or 800 powered nexus phone coming

$340? In the UK for a 16GB model we have to pay £279.99 which is $450!

Does anyone happen to know if the Nexus 4 is worldwide unlocked?

Haven't tested it, but as long as the phone has quad-band GSM, it'll work globally. Google-sold phones are always factory unlocked.

I can vouch for the Galaxy Nexus, which was the flagship device before the Nexus 4. Works with a foreign SIM card, as well as multiple Canadian SIM cards.

You can't be wrong with it. I tried the thing and it really is magistral. Get it and you'll have an excellent and powerful and up to date phone for the next few years.

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx