Haswell or Vishera?

MsTrMind
Go to solution Solved by MsTrMind,

Keep us inform on which choice u make.

Decision is made :-)

I will be getting the 4670k in combination with an HD7870Ghz from Sapphire.

Hey all,

This is my current situation: using laptop with a second screen and external keyboard and mouse for daily driver. Using my parents' computer for gaming.

For a stupid reason, I can't use my parents' computer any longer.

In the form of the "Build Plan Recommendations:"

1. Budget & Location

I have a budget of €750, €760 MAX! I live in Belgium.

2. Aim

My system will be used as a gamingcomputer, will run (when I am not using it) as an FTP server (only on LAN) and DLNA server.

3. Monitors

I have 1 monitor at the moment, this is a 19" non-hd monitor (can't remember the resolution). I will be upgrading with one extra 1080p monitor in the future.

4. Peripherals

As I stated before, I have a keyboard laying around (it's a membrane, don't shoot me. It fulfils my needs) and a good gaming-capable mouse.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because I don't have access any longer to a gaming-capable computer. My laptop is gaming capable, but runs to hot imo.

So far I have build myself these systems:

(Translations:

- Mijn winkelwagen: My Cart

- Aantal: Number of

- Stukprijs: Price/piece

- Totaalprijs: total cost (only of the products)

- Totaal: Total (inc. shippingcosts)

- Bijkomende verzendkosten: additional shippingcost)

o7rbbb.png

And this one:

2zqzz2c.png

I am buying this PC on thursday (11 June 2013). I won't be doing crossfire/sli.

I have been googling a couple weeks with all my questions, and the AMD system is pretty much finetuned. It is only the Haswell one that I am unsure about...

1. Will the 4670K perform as good as/better as the FX8350? (In gaming that is, apart from that I   only use regular desktop applications)

2. Is this motherboard any good? 

3. When I add an aftermarket cooler, will I be able to get a 4.5Ghz speed? (When I have a good chip)

Cooler will be something like an H100i / Noctua NH-D14

For some reason I really want to go Haswell. 

My parents' pc runs on an FX-6100, and I am verry happy with it. My laptop runs an Intel 2630QM i7, and I am also verry happy with it.

Sorry for the long post ;-)

Proud to be from Belgium.

n=

Hey all,

This is my current situation: using laptop with a second screen and external keyboard and mouse for daily driver. Using my parents' computer for gaming.

For a stupid reason, I can't use my parents' computer any longer.

In the form of the "Build Plan Recommendations:"

1. Budget & Location

I have a budget of €750, €760 MAX! I live in Belgium.

2. Aim

My system will be used as a gamingcomputer, will run (when I am not using it) as an FTP server (only on LAN) and DLNA server.

3. Monitors

I have 1 monitor at the moment, this is a 19" non-hd monitor (can't remember the resolution). I will be upgrading with one extra 1080p monitor in the future.

4. Peripherals

As I stated before, I have a keyboard laying around (it's a membrane, don't shoot me. It fulfils my needs) and a good gaming-capable mouse.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because I don't have access any longer to a gaming-capable computer. My laptop is gaming capable, but runs to hot imo.

So far I have build myself these systems:

(Translations:

- Mijn winkelwagen: My Cart

- Aantal: Number of

- Stukprijs: Price/piece

- Totaalprijs: total cost (only of the products)

- Totaal: Total (inc. shippingcosts)

- Bijkomende verzendkosten: additional shippingcost)

o7rbbb.png

And this one:

2zqzz2c.png

I am buying this PC on thursday (11 June 2013). I won't be doing crossfire/sli.

I have been googling a couple weeks with all my questions, and the AMD system is pretty much finetuned. It is only the Haswell one that I am unsure about...

1. Will the 4670K perform as good as/better as the FX8350? (In gaming that is, apart from that I   only use regular desktop applications)

2. Is this motherboard any good? 

3. When I add an aftermarket cooler, will I be able to get a 4.5Ghz speed? (When I have a good chip)

Cooler will be something like an H100i / Noctua NH-D14

For some reason I really want to go Haswell. 

My parents' pc runs on an FX-6100, and I am verry happy with it. My laptop runs an Intel 2630QM i7, and I am also verry happy with it.

Sorry for the long post ;-)

i got an amd system slightly like yours and it performs amazing but i have no experience with haswell so i cant compair

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

For amd system,u can buy a cheaper mobo, and get amd 7950 or 7870xt gpu instead.I would recommended this mobo Asus M5A99X-EVO R2.0

overview.jpg

With regards to your budget, you left out a HDD and cd drive. That will bring it over your max €760 budget or do you have them already? What about getting an OS? Do you have a way to get one for free? Also speakers are needed (but least of your worries).

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

With regards to your budget, you left out a HDD and cd drive. That will bring it over your max €760 budget or do you have them already? What about getting an OS? Do you have a way to get one for free? Also speakers are needed (but least of your worries).

I should have written this, I have a hdd, headset and speakers. I also havrme free (and legal) acess to Windows 7 and 8 via my school.

Also, I am not looking to spend less than 750 euro.

I just want to know which will fit in with my needs :)

For amd system,u can buy a cheaper mobo, and get amd 7950 or 7870xt gpu instead.I would recommended this mobo Asus M5A99X-EVO R2.0

overview.jpg

The 7870xt is not available anymore in Belgium. Idem ditto for this motherboard.

It will be available in a week or 2, but since I am buying my pc the day after tomorrow, this one wont be an option :-)

THx for your reply tho :-)

Can't you just wait for a little bit  :D, use your laptop a little longer until the mobo is available ?

The 7870xt is not available anymore in Belgium. Idem ditto for this motherboard.

It will be available in a week or 2, but since I am buying my pc the day after tomorrow, this one wont be an option :-)

THx for your reply tho :-)

Then i would pick amd system as u say u will use it as server also.Extra core would definitely offload task better.

Can't you just wait for a little bit :D, use your laptop a little longer until the mobo is available ?

Haha nope :p

My examns end thursday, and I will go directly to the store to buy ly shiznick ;)

Then i would pick amd system as u say u will use it as server also.Extra core would definitely offload task better.

So I wont have any advantages from the 4670k?

So I wont have any advantages from the 4670k?

Haswell/Vishera?

Why not Ivy? The combined price of a haswell cpu/mobo is significantly more expensive than an ivy cpu/mobo. 

With the money saved, you could get a 7950. 

If you aren't hooked onto overclocking, you could go with a xeon e3 1230 v2 for the performance of a 3770.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Haswell/Vishera?

Why not Ivy? The combined price of a haswell cpu/mobo is significantly more expensive than an ivy cpu/mobo. 

With the money saved, you could get a 7950. 

If you aren't hooked onto overclocking, you could go with a xeon e3 1230 v2 for the performance of a 3770.

npkq6o.png

As you can see, the pricing for a 3570K with a (kind of) decent motherboard is only €25 cheaper while the cheapest 7950 is €80 more expensive ...

Living in Belgium sucks (for the computer pricing) :-(

npkq6o.png

As you can see, the pricing for a 3570K with a (kind of) decent motherboard is only €25 cheaper while the cheapest 7950 is €80 more expensive ...

Decision is made :-)

I will be getting the 4670k in combination with an HD7870Ghz from Sapphire.

npkq6o.png

That's a more than decent motherboard. You can go cheaper. By that, I mean the cheapest z77 you can find.

The "quality" of the mobo is irrelevant to overclocking since the chip will probably experience problems before the mobo does.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you could look at getting either the fx-6350 or if thats isnt available the fx-6300 as they are compareable to the 3570k which is the ivy version of the cpu u chose and it is a beast with the 7870 as that is what im personally running on that mobo too

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

you could look at getting either the fx-6350 or if thats isnt available the fx-6300 as they are compareable to the 3570k which is the ivy version of the cpu u chose and it is a beast with the 7870 as that is what im personally running on that mobo too

With all due respect, but the fx-6300 is nothing compared with the 4670k (especially not when overclocked).

I could understand that the fx8350 and the 3570k are neck to neck in performance (gaming that is).

Again, I am not trying to break your reaction, but I wasn't looking to save some money, I wanted the best of the best for my 750 euro.

Thanks anyway :)