Downloaded a movie but in wrong format

MrEpicFatal1ty

A friend of mine has recently downloaded two movies on her Macbook but unfortunately, she downloaded the movies in AVI format. Is there anything she can do to be able to watch her AVI movies on her Macbook without purchasing anything? 

I will also try and assist her somehow. I can think of converting the movie to something that Mac OS supports but I don't know which movie formats are playable and which are not. I also would like to ask for a program that could possibly convert such movies into other formats.

Why would anyone not have VLC installed?

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Throw out the mac and get another computer /joke

Get VLC for mac...

Alright, she's watching a movie now.Thanks a bunch, she said to you guys.

Funny thing was, she already had VLC but had absolutely no idea what it was for. Lol

Alright, she's watching a movie now.Thanks a bunch, she said to you guys.

Funny thing was, she already had VLC but had absolutely no idea what it was for. Lol

Then how did she get it? Is she one of "those" types that install somehthing but doesn't look at the check boxes during the install?

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M