Lots of spam...

T.Vengeance

Been seeing lots spam recently (mainly stupid kitchen ads....and today, some guy leading to a link with a supposed virus). I'm wondering if we should add more than just a captcha. I know this might suck for newcomers but what if we made it so that when you sign up, you can only post in the troubleshooting section for the first 2 days. Then after you're free to post where ever. Do you guys think its a good idea? Would it reduce the spam (just like a bike lock reduces the chances of it getting stolen) or would it just put spam into the troubleshooting section which would be even worse.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Or make it slightly more difficult to sign up. Make us do that thing with the funky letters like on Youtube when posting large amounts of comments at one time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Or make it slightly more difficult to sign up. Make us do that thing with the funky letters like on Youtube when posting large amounts of comments at one time.

Yeah the sad thing is, most of the spammers only post topics once. Then the account gets banned (and ip banned maybe?) I assume. So all these ads we see are mostly from different users :(

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I agree, those stupid kitchen ads are really starting to become to much, I see one almost every hour now and it is getting ridiculous.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

It really can't be helped. They'll always find a way. :( The more popular a forum gets, the more spammers there will be.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I agree, those stupid kitchen ads are really starting to become to much, I see one almost every hour now and it is getting ridiculous.

At least you'll save on re-doing your kitchen. Or not.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

A captcha before posting a new topic should be alright... If you spend the time writing an article then it shouldn't be too much trouble to enter a 5 letter captcha. 

​WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR KITCHEN APPLIANCES!

Pretty amazing stuff

I think it would be a bad idea to let them post after 2 days because if someone joins and they want help to choose components for a new PC they would have to wait 2 useless days just to post on other threads

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

A captcha before posting a new topic should be alright... If you spend the time writing an article then it shouldn't be too much trouble to enter a 5 letter captcha. 

​WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR KITCHEN APPLIANCES!

Wow, that's actually a pretty good idea. I never thought of that. Hopefully Slick/the mods will pick up on this thread, cause seriously it's starting to get out of hand.

I think it would be a bad idea to let them post after 2 days because if someone joins and they want help to choose components for a new PC they would have to wait 2 useless days just to post on other threads

Well that's what I meant by they can only post on the troubleshooting section for the first 2 days. That way if they legitimately need help, it'll be heard.

Whoops... I didn't read through what you said clearly...

To be honest though, 2 days of waiting just for someone to help choose components in my opinion is not really that much. It's just an idea though. Thanks for your input.

At least you'll save on re-doing your kitchen. Or not.

LOL, that is true, I remember when the spam first came to the site, I was considering getting a new kitchen when i seen the low prices :). but really if they want to spam, why don't they just spam on home depots forums or even Lows. They would get more business that way :P, but i don't think alot of tech savvy people want new kitchens unless PC's come in the cabinets and you can skype through your refrigerator.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

We can just all go spam LTT stuff on their website lol.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

You can't enforce an IP ban on forums, or it could accidentally flag those with static IPs. Having a captcha for every post/thread would seem pretty annoying imo, especially if you're an active poster/the captcha is impossible to decipher.

For another IPB based forum I use, signing up requires a captcha, and then there's a security question. It could be something like "What's the name of the host?" And you can set available answers like Linus, linus, etc..

And if Spammers are still getting through, you can set up IPB in ACP so that "New Members" need their post approved before their post shows up to public. Once they've been approved, their rank/title will change to Member and they can post anywhere they like. This will require heavy moderation & a lot of man power though.

Well that's what I meant by they can only post on the troubleshooting section for the first 2 days. That way if they legitimately need help, it'll be heard.

Whoops... I didn't read through what you said clearly...

To be honest though, 2 days of waiting just for someone to help choose components in my opinion is not really that much. It's just an idea though. Thanks for your input.

People are not patient on the internet for the idea you suggested, I don't think it would allow for much growth for the LTT forums.

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

My Captcha idea was towards creating an account. Not posts.

People are not patient on the internet for the idea you suggested, I don't think it would allow for much growth for the LTT forums.

True. Too bad :(

My Captcha idea was towards creating an account. Not posts.

But captcha is already implemented for creating accounts. Unless what you mean is a totally different type of captcha. Cause I forgot what the ones on youtube look like (or may have never seen them).

But captcha is already implemented for creating accounts. Unless what you mean is a totally different type of captcha. Cause I forgot what the ones on youtube look like (or may have never seen them).

Is it? Guess I forgot.

add the slide to unlock captcha http://ambulu.org/jquery-slider-captcha/

and have a question like whats short for linustechtips (LTT)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

add the slide to unlock captcha http://ambulu.org/jquery-slider-captcha/

and have a question like whats short for linustechtips (LTT)

Oh that's a new one. I've never seen that before. I wonder how effective it is.

I guess there should be a separate forum section for spam xD    >> Too bad people seem to be too lazy to retype a few letter.. It's not that annoying especially if you can refresh to get a more "readable" captcha.

How many new topics do you guys really start?

Pretty amazing stuff

Oh that's a new one. I've never seen that before. I wonder how effective it is.

yea, iv'e never seen them before either and they seem like it would be a lot easier to do that squinting to see wether the scribbled letter is a q or a p

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How about Captcha about Linus' videos. Example: True or false, Linus wears socks with sandals or Slick prefers membrane keyboards... stuff like those. :)

I guess not everyone is here because they are Linus fans like I am... :D

How about Captcha about Linus' videos. Example: True or false, Linus wears socks with sandals or Slick prefers membrane keyboards... stuff like those. :)

I guess not everyone is here because they are Linus fans like I am... :D

Yeah it's hard to strike a happy medium...We'd be alienating so many people if we do a LTT specific question. As I type this, another kitchen ad just popped up lol.