Sony may be shafting British and European customers

mvitkun

This is unusual, For once Australia has the second best price in the world.
$549 here, whereas a direct conversion of European prices is about $580AUD
Xbox converts price better, its only 17 dollars unaccounted for vs I think 40.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

so PS4 adds £40 and xbone (xbox one) adds £60 (both approximate and and VAT has been included in the calculation) im sure they could drop that difference by half, then i would be ok with the price if i were to buy one. i know it costs to ship over here and import duty but im sure large quantities do not add that much on top and the different AC adapter should not cost that much extra. and the fact both cost to go online in some way or other. RIP OFF i say, and how much cheaper could the xbone be if they just made a gaming console and not a media centre hub thing that controls the living room?

Just a guy with a beard

European countries have rediculously high tax rates, at least on consumer electronics, which drives up prices; the US has relatively low taxes, and sometimes they are not included in the price tag. Yes the PS4 will be more expensive there, but it was going to be no matter what Sony did.

Besides, it's less of a price bump than the Xbone.

$399 --> £349

$499 --> £425

If anything the Xbox is better value for gamers over here (UK), and when that price difference is the included Kinect, over the 5 or 6 years of you having a console that is fairly insignificant...

Whats shafting?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

European countries have rediculously high tax rates, at least on consumer electronics, which drives up prices; the US has relatively low taxes, and sometimes they are not included in the price tag. Yes the PS4 will be more expensive there, but it was going to be no matter what Sony did.

Besides, it's less of a price bump than the Xbone.

Even if you add VAT (20%) to the us price it comes out as £305 so why are we paying an extra £50 i don't know it can't cost that much extra to ship each ps4 to ship to uk rather than the us. i don't know why i care though, im a pc gamer.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Here's a BBC News article on why there is this difference in price http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22868787

want the short answer: it's because people in the UK will still buy it so Sony and Microsoft have zero incentive to even try and keep the prices close, why would they ever cut that £40 out of their profits when they know people will pay it.

The only way this kind of thing can be stopped is simply if people in the UK and the rest of Europe just plain don't buy it, but people will so the companies won't.

Whats shafting?

not sure if your trolling or not

-to screw over

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shafted

they define it as

Ripped off, cheated, treated most unfairly by people or even just by fate

:P

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552