Best "bang for your buck" floorstanding speakers

dylandylandylan

I've got around $300-$500 dollars for a pair of floor standing speakers to equip my lounge in the house I've just purchased. It's a small room, I'd say around 20m².

I don't really have experience with floor standing speakers, as I've always lived in dorm room situations, where my audio was either my headphones, or my Logitech X-530's. 

I have an old but trusty Technics amplifier, the SU-X933. 

I was looking at these, and was wondering if it's a good price? Remember, I'm in New Zealand, so everything is expensive when it comes to electronics.. It's silly.

JAMO E850 Floorstanding Speakers:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=807352976

Thanks in advance guys!

#!

Well, most people suggest the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR  and some say that they sound like 500$ speakers but i guess you can find something better at the 500$ budget.

Check out the Fluance XL7F and Polk Audio RTI A7.

The pioneers aren't available in my country and both the fluance and the Polk are almost double the price unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestions though :) 

#!

If you have the time and skill to put these together, i would highly recomend this kit if you can get it shipped to you for a decent price. They are some of the best floor standers i have heard for under $1k and with the transmition line enclosure the low end responce is phenominal.  

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If you have the time and skill to put these together, i would highly recomend this kit if you can get it shipped to you for a decent price. They are some of the best floor standers i have heard for under $1k and with the transmition line enclosure the low end responce is phenominal.  

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-tritrix-mtm-tl-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

Hmm, I'll look into it, it'd seem like a perfect project for both my partner and I. Here's hoping that shipping isn't that high, because we've also got very high import tax fees, not to mention other fees, it's why imported product (Which is nearly everything) Is so damned expensive here in New Zealand.

#!

$216.85 in shipping :\ Damn.

#!

I would try and look for used floorstanding speakers then as living on an island shipping is going to be expensive.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I would try and look for used floorstanding speakers then as living on an island shipping is going to be expensive.

Yep, that's what I'm doing at the moment, our used market is mostly based on a site called trademe, unfortunately I don't know what would be a good deal vs crap. I'll just read up on each and every model that I find interesting and go from there. Have you purchased second hand speakers before? What should I look out for?

#!

$216.85 in shipping :\ Damn.

ouch. That a pretty crazy shipping price.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yep, that's what I'm doing at the moment, our used market is mostly based on a site called trademe, unfortunately I don't know what would be a good deal vs crap. I'll just read up on each and every model that I find interesting and go from there. Have you purchased second hand speakers before? What should I look out for?

If your looking at used speakers make sure the woofer surrounds are still good meaning press the woofer with a finger and if it bounces back immedatley then there good. Also make sure you can test the speakers aswell.

Some brands to look for are Paradigm,JBL,Sansui,Technics,Yamaha,Mission,Epi,NHT,KLH,Boston Acoustics,Denon,whafdale,kef,polk, and Onkyo.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

They're actually in my watch list already :) What are your thoughts on how much I should pay for them? 

I would pay $300 max as they retailed for somewhere around $600-$800 nzd and they seem to be in good condition.

reference: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wharfedale-xarus-5000-floor-standing-speakers-amazon-hughes-direct-149-99-996298