HDD spinning but not recognized.

delet my acc pls

So i have a WD blue 1TB that spins, but is not recognized by the computer.

I recently made sure opened up my computer and made sure everything is plugged in correctly, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? all help is much appreciated and if you need any additional info just ask.

MoBo: Asus ROG VI formula Z87

Does the bios detect it?Did you try the hdd on another pc?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Is it Windows or the BIOS that doesn't recognize the HDD? (or course the first depends on the later)

If it's not recognized in Windows, try opening Disk manager, and see if it show here. If it does, assign it a drive letter.

If it's not recognized in the BIOS, try switching the SATA cable to a different SATA chipset.

If that doesn't work, try the drive in a different computer. I might be that the drive has diesd. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Is this a new hard drive, or one that you have been using in your computer for a while, but which only recently started causing problems?

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

So i have a WD blue 1TB that spins, but is not recognized by the computer.

I recently made sure opened up my computer and made sure everything is plugged in correctly, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? all help is much appreciated and if you need any additional info just ask.

MoBo: Asus ROG VI formula Z87

Hey 11k,

@Volbet gave some good advice there. You should try the drive on a different computer to see if there is any change and if the problem is with your settings, cables or the drive itself is faulty. In case it gets recognized, I would suggest getting WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and run both the quick and the extended tests in order to check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors that might have appeared. Here's a link to it: http://goo.gl/q98m6q.
Another thing you could do is to get a SATA to USB cable and try plugging the drive as an external one and see if your OS would recognize it.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Is it Windows or the BIOS that doesn't recognize the HDD? (or course the first depends on the later)

If it's not recognized in Windows, try opening Disk manager, and see if it show here. If it does, assign it a drive letter.

If it's not recognized in the BIOS, try switching the SATA cable to a different SATA chipset.

If that doesn't work, try the drive in a different computer. I might be that the drive has diesd. 

Hey 11k,

@Volbet gave some good advice there. You should try the drive on a different computer to see if there is any change and if the problem is with your settings, cables or the drive itself is faulty. In case it gets recognized, I would suggest getting WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and run both the quick and the extended tests in order to check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors that might have appeared. Here's a link to it: http://goo.gl/q98m6q.
Another thing you could do is to get a SATA to USB cable and try plugging the drive as an external one and see if your OS would recognize it.

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

I will try your suggestions later today if possible and i'll notify you how it turns out. PS sorry for late response, i thought i would get notifications when someone posted in the thread.

I will try your suggestions later today if possible and i'll notify you how it turns out. PS sorry for late response, i thought i would get notifications when someone posted in the thread.

No worries, you can click the "Follow this topic" button on top of the thread and you should get the notifications on the top. Waiting for the results from the test :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Is this a new hard drive, or one that you have been using in your computer for a while, but which only recently started causing problems?

i have had it in my rig for a couple of  months but never really noticed until i needed the storage.

No worries, you can click the "Follow this topic" button on top of the thread and you should get the notifications on the top. Waiting for the results from the test :)

Captain_WD.

Thank you, the HDD works now. I really appreiciate you guys taking your time to help me.

Thank you, the HDD works now. I really appreiciate you guys taking your time to help me.

Any time :) Feel free to ask if you have more questions or problems :)

Captain_WD.