From Java to iOS/Android development

Hi!

I am currently 2 months into my International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. I am doing Computer Science at Higher Level with Object-oriented Programming (Java).

I have to do an internal assesment, where I am supposed to make a larger project. I am allowed to use any programming-language I want. Beucase of this, I want to realise one of my ideas for a mobile-app. The thing is, I have never worked with UI's or anything graphical before. The app I am talking about is a very, very basic 2d game that is supposed to teach you some basic elements of physics.

I have read that Android primarily uses Java, and that iOS is using Objective-C annd x-code.

Where do you suggest that I start? Which book/course should I start looking at in order to be able to write simple apps for Android and iOS?

Thanks!

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

I believe both Google and Apple have some basic tutorials on their website, which can help you learn the basics.

As for anything more extensive: I don't really know..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It makes more sense to choose Android since you already have Java experience but getting used to the new platform will definitely cause you a fair bit of extra work.

If you do choose Android then you could learn from these video lessons

Team treehouse - $25 a month with a 14 day free trial

Lynda.com - $25 a month with a preview option (might be like a free trial, I'm not sure)

You can also learn as you go, looking up specific things you need to know through the Android docs and Google.

I would go with android, because you already have Java experience.

Besides that if you have an android device, you can easily test your app. With iOS you have to register for a developer account, which cost 99 dollars a year I believe, to test your app on your device.

If you eventually want your app in a store. It's easier to get your app in the Google Play Store than the App Store. You only have to register for a developer account with Google and you have to pay 25 dollars. It's more difficult to get your app in the App Store, because Apple is going to test your app according to their guidelines and if it failes, your app gets rejected and you need to fix the bugs.

As far as books or courses, I would start with the documentation of the chosen platform and just googling and looking up tutorials.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD