Just Purchased 980 Strix...

4Strings

So I looked in on Amazon today and found that they had 4 GTX 980 Strix (Strixs? Strixes?) in stock...

So I splurged and bought one.

This will be my first Nvidia GPU (at least for the desktop, I have a 765M in my Gigabyte P35, but that doesn't really count), so I'm rather excited. I kinda feel like I'm betraying AMD or something, as all my past desktop GPUs have been AMD/ATI (all the way from a Rage 128 Pro), but the efficiency of the Maxwell GPUs (compared to the R9 290s), especially since I'm running an FX-8350, is just too much of a temptation. Not to mention that my XFX 7950 is starting to show its age, God rest its soul.

I'm just hoping for a good overclocker, as my 7950 crashed with even a 25MHz increase...

Just sharing,

Cheers,

4Stings

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Make some tests and tell us if you have a bottleneck when you can.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

TRAITER!!!!

(just kiddin, enjoy your new GOU:)

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Well when you play The Witcher 3 and some other titles you will now get to play games the way they were meant to be played.  Enjoy the PhysX!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I've got the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4S9NY8 and love it! You will too! It runs fast, quiet, and cool. It's also an excellent overclocker, at least mine is.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

Wow you guys were fast!

I'll be sure to run some before/after benchmarks. Any particular tests I should run?

Best of luck to you, enjoy the card and its silence. :)

Make some tests and tell us if you have a bottleneck when you can.

TRAITER!!!!

(just kiddin, enjoy your new GOU:)

Lol... That's kind of how I feel, deep inside... :)

Well when you play The Witcher 3 and some other titles you will now get to play games the way they were meant to be played.  Enjoy the PhysX!

I'm a HUGE Witcher fan, so that was definitely part of my reasoning...

I've got the ASUS GTX 980 STRIX http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4S9NY8 and love it! You will too! It runs fast, quiet, and cool. It's also an excellent overclocker, at least mine is.

Yeah, at first I considered getting the EVGA, buy the fin/heatpipe configuration of the cooler doesn't do very well in 90-degree rotated cases (like my FT02), so I was just waiting for an DCUII-type cooler to pop up. :)

Also, did you get the free game with your 980 from Amazon?

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Grats to your purchase and don´t forget to benchmark your card once OCed, we´re missing in the LTT 3D Mark thread a GTX980 paired with a FX8350 CPU ;).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Grats to your purchase and don´t forget to benchmark your card once OCed, we´re missing in the LTT 3D Mark thread a GTX980 paired with a FX8350 CPU ;).

Coo'! Can I get a link to the thread? :)

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Wow you guys were fast!

I'll be sure to run some before/after benchmarks. Any particular tests I should run?

Lol... That's kind of how I feel, deep inside... :)

I'm a HUGE Witcher fan, so that was definitely part of my reasoning...

Yeah, at first I considered getting the EVGA, buy the fin/heatpipe configuration of the cooler doesn't do very well in 90-degree rotated cases (like my FT02), so I was just waiting for an DCUII-type cooler to pop up. :)

Also, did you get the free game with your 980 from Amazon?

If you have the LTT extension for chrome or Firefox you receive notifications instantly.

If you have the LTT extension for chrome or Firefox you receive notifications instantly.

Already use it... :)

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Coo'! Can I get a link to the thread? :)

But of course :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212222-ltt-3dmark-thread/ there you go ;) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Congrats! Good buy. I have had my 980 Strix for a few weeks now and dam very happy with it. I managed to OC mine to 1555MHz, but I think I have a better than average one based on what others have gotten. From what I have seen if you can hit 1500 you are doing good, and 1525 is well above average.

Good luck. I hope you can get yours even higher than mine :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So I looked in on Amazon today and found that they had 4 GTX 980 Strix (Strixs? Strixes?) in stock...

So I splurged and bought one.

This will be my first Nvidia GPU (at least for the desktop, I have a 765M in my Gigabyte P35, but that doesn't really count), so I'm rather excited. I kinda feel like I'm betraying AMD or something, as all my past desktop GPUs have been AMD/ATI (all the way from a Rage 128 Pro), but the efficiency of the Maxwell GPUs (compared to the R9 290s), especially since I'm running an FX-8350, is just too much of a temptation. Not to mention that my XFX 7950 is starting to show its age, God rest its soul.

I'm just hoping for a good overclocker, as my 7950 crashed with even a 25MHz increase...

Just sharing,

Cheers,

4Stings

60c without fans, gl...

I've been using Afterburner for years now, both to (try) to overclock my 7950, as well as for monitoring GPU stats and framerate in-game.

My question, if I want the best possible OC from the 980, could I keep using Afterburner, would Asus's GPU-Tweak be preferred?

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

I've been using Afterburner for years now, both to (try) to overclock my 7950, as well as for monitoring GPU stats and framerate in-game.

My question, if I want the best possible OC from the 980, could I keep using Afterburner, would Asus's GPU-Tweak be preferred?

They all fetch the same thing from your card, ie the limitations specified by your VBIOS. Use whatever you prefer.

[witty signature]

They all fetch the same thing from your card, ie the limitations specified by your VBIOS. Use whatever you prefer.

Okee... Thanks! :)

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

CARD JUST GOT IN!!!

It's really cold outside, so I'm gonna let it acclimate to room temp before I put it in. I also want to find a stable OC for my 8350 and run a few benchmarks before I take out the 7950. :)

Also, I've been using my PB278Q with the Dual link DVI cable, should I switch to DisplayPort on the 980 to to stick to DVI?

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Also, I've been using my PB278Q with the Dual link DVI cable, should I switch to DisplayPort on the 980 to to stick to DVI?

Either should suffice for that resolution and refresh rate.

[witty signature]

Congrats! Good buy. I have had my 980 Strix for a few weeks now and dam very happy with it. I managed to OC mine to 1555MHz, but I think I have a better than average one based on what others have gotten. From what I have seen if you can hit 1500 you are doing good, and 1525 is well above average.

Good luck. I hope you can get yours even higher than mine :)

What OC did you get on the memory?

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Tell me how's the change from a 7950, i'm upgrading from a 7950 to a gtx 970, i know 980 is more powerful, but still :D

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Tell me how's the change from a 7950, i'm upgrading from a 7950 to a gtx 970, i know 980 is more powerful, but still :D

It's a pretty big difference... In 3DMark Firestrike, I went from a score of 6325 with the 7950 to a score of 10550 with the 980. I was using an "unsupported" beta AMD driver, so that might have reduced my score, but there's still a noticeable FPS increase in almost all applications.

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

What OC did you get on the memory?

Mine will only go up to 1898MHz without artifacting.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro