What X99 to choose from? [Overclocking specified]

Simple question. Which mobo for Overclocking?

• CPU: Intel i7-5000 series (socket 2011-3)
  • RAM: DDR4
  • GPU: GTX 970
  • Storage: 1 HD 500GB, 1 SSD 240GB (Adding a M.2 SSD presumably)
  • Audio: Adding a better audio chip (any suggestions maybe?)
  • WiFi: Not really needed, nice feature
  • Onboard boot: Would be very nice for testing
  • Watercooling: CPU and GPU will be watercooled (1 loop)
  • PCI-(E): Propably won't be a big problem but if there is anything unusual about it please enlighten me.

!!!Overclocking!!!!

This is the part i'm kinda sceptic about. How do I know which one suites me? I'm new to Watercooling and OC but I'll do my research on that.

Does the Overclocking options and performance change with Mobo and Fabricator?

My choice as of now: ASRock X99 Extreme 6

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme6/

"You either die a noob. Or live long enough to be called a hacker"

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

-words-

personally the SOC Force. Mainly cos i love the Gigabyte boards. And it is orange. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Get an ASUS motherboard because they have the special custom OC socket that allows for more stable overclocking and less vdroop :)

What are you using x99 for?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

personally the SOC Force. Mainly cos i love the Gigabyte boards. And it is orange. 

I'm more of a Blue kinda guy but I'll look into the SOC thanks.

Get an ASUS motherboard because they have the special custom OC socket that allows for more stable overclocking and less vdroop :)

What are you using x99 for?

Not sure what you're asking. But as far as I know the i7 needs the X99 boards. For using purposes. I'm a gaming enthousiast who renders/edits once in a while. Nothing extraordinary

i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz -- GTX980 Windforce -- 16GB RAM - BenQ XL2420G (1080p 144Hz G-sync)

Full Current Build

Asus X99-S would be a nice board to look at imo.

It has all the goodies that the Asus X99 pro and Deluxe have

only it lacks on bluetooth and wifi. and it has 2 less usb 3.0 ports.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99S/specifications/

Definitely looks to be suitable with my needs.

I forgot to mention I'd like to have a Sata Express port for the extra performance. This Asus model got 1 which should be enough.

Thanks!

Full Current Build

Not sure what you're asking. But as far as I know the i7 needs the X99 boards. For using purposes. I'm a gaming enthousiast who renders/edits once in a while. Nothing extraordinary

Not all i7s work with x99.

Only the 5820k, 5930k, and 5960x will.

Also, a 4790k will be mre than enough for gaming and video editing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not all i7s work with x99.

Only the 5820k, 5930k, and 5960x will.

Also, a 4790k will be mre than enough for gaming and video editing.

Yes that's why I put in i7-5th gen up top ;). I do know that the 4790k will do more than enough but I'm aiming for a long term upgrade. And I just want it too :D

(Currently using a 4 year old AMD Phenom II X6 1100T with a 2 year old GTX 660 Ti. And they're doing just fine.)

Full Current Build

Yes that's why I put in i7-5th gen up top ;). I do know that the 4790k will do more than enough but I'm aiming for a long term upgrade. And I just want it too :D

(Currently using a 4 year old AMD Phenom II X6 1100T with a 2 year old GTX 660 Ti. And they're doing just fine.)

The 4790k is also 5th gen...

Spoiler

The 4790k is also 5th gen...

Huh. My bad! The 5000 series then? :P

Full Current Build

X99 is fine. I personally use the Asus X99 Deluxe and couldn´t be happier with it. Runs super stable and I was lucky on the CPU lottery because my i7 5930K overclocks like a champ.

The white isn´t everybody´s darling that´s for sure but I matched the color scheme and I have now my built in black and white and (I have 2 custom cooled loops) my water cooling has clear tubes with blue coolant ( two different colors though).

It´s easy to remove the plastic from the board and paint it differently with PlastiDip if you like other colors better.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Definitely looks to be suitable with my needs.

I forgot to mention I'd like to have a Sata Express port for the extra performance. This Asus model got 1 which should be enough.

Thanks!

This is how it looks like Asus X99-S

EE5L9eA0P8eRczAX_setting_fff_1_90_end_50

X99 is fine. I personally use the Asus X99 Deluxe and couldn´t be happier with it. Runs super stable and I was lucky on the CPU lottery because my i7 5930K overclocks like a champ.

The white isn´t everybody´s darling that´s for sure but I matched the color scheme and I have now my built in black and white.

It´s easy to remove the plastic from the board and paint it differently with PlastiDip if you like other colors better.

Well my case is a White CM Storm Trooper. So that'll work out :D . Unfortunately with red power LED. But maybe they can be adjusted or changed, who knows. Would be a nice side project.

I'm seeing an ASUS trend here so I'll start looking more into those.

Full Current Build

Well my case is a White CM Storm Trooper. So that'll work out :D . Unfortunately with red power LED. But maybe they can be adjusted or changed, who knows. Would be a nice side project.

I'm seeing an ASUS trend here so I'll start looking more into those.

The Asus board has a red color for the onboard digital panel and white lighting when you put a GPU in a PCIe. I find that look very nice.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The Asus board has a red color for the onboard digital panel and white lighting when you put a GPU in a PCIe. I find that look very nice.

Could be yea. But I'm still a more blue kinda guy ;)

Full Current Build

Could be yea. But I'm still a more blue kinda guy ;)

Holland is all about

Red

White

Blue

lols

Holland is all about

Red

White

Blue

lols

HAHA! Now that you mention it, it is indeed :D maybe that should become the theme :P

Full Current Build

Alright. So I did my re-research and cut everything down to 3 Mobo's.

I forgot to mention eSATA to be included. After looking at the specs it seems not a lot of Boars my price range have that.

The outcome:

http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5128#ov -- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 7 (€305,-)

http://www.asus.com/nl/Motherboards/X99S/  -- Asus X99 S (€299,-)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS/  -- ASRock X99 WS (€318,-)

As far as specs go, the ASRock is the only one supporting eSATA. Which is quite a bummer.

2 MSI Boards also support eSATA, but these are out of my price range. (Way above €300).

3 Options remain. The choice will be difficult since all boards don't vary that much. ASUS is prefered for stable OC according to you guys so that'll propably be my first choice.

Any suggestions?

Full Current Build