Should I do Networking as a Job?

Mrbluee

Well, currently i'm studying BTEC level 3 Software Development (UK). Currently we have done Web Dev & Soft Dev, no networking yet but I really like network for some reason :S

Anyway I have thought about doing Computer Network in University and maybe doing some Cisco certifications ( Are they good? ) In the order all the way to CCIE (not straight away maybe after years)

Is this a good plan? Should I change it anyway? Is Networking Good? Whats the pay like?(Average) 

Have you got any stories? 

Please tell me anything useful as well thanks

and sorry for the amount of questions  :o

"My Profile Picture Says Everything You Need To Know About Life"

I've done my networking+ certification so far, it wasn't terrible, there was just a lot of stuff about different cable types, and different networking appliances, that and troubleshooting.

I'd try it out first then make a decision.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You could look into Microsoft Certifications as well, they are known to be very good. Have personally never heard of Cisco certifications 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

IM going to college for Electrical Engineering and I have seen allot of the IT students transfure to the engineering program due to networking being alittle dull. But I work for HP doing networking and Its not too bad, but its not something i want to do for ever.

My suggestion is go through the eletrical engineering program. You will be able to utilize the corse your studying and also learn the network aspect also.

You could look into Microsoft Certifications as well, they are known to be very good. Have personally never heard of Cisco certifications 

Are microcosmic Certification good and I found out about it here: http://www.globalknowledge.co.uk/certifications/cisco-certifications/

"My Profile Picture Says Everything You Need To Know About Life"

Have a look at EliTheComputerGuy. His videos are usually

first half hour is on some technology => the sponsors => then Q&A where he tends to answer lots of questions like this. Should I do X or Y certification blah blah blah.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4EOyXKjfDUhCI6jlOZZYQ

Firstly software development is a very different course. Networking is basically, do you want to be an admin? Do you want to get into setting up physical hardware as opposed to designing software?

Networks need to be set up; then let them run; then fix them when they break.  Do you want to be the one that has to fix shit when the network goes down? A lot of being an admin is waiting around for shit to happen and then working like crazy when it does.

This is all depending on the job in fairness.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

No.

Lol jk, Networking is actually quite a sought after skill by many companies, it's the dark art to some IT techs. Cisco certifications are highly regarded and a great qualification to have. If you enjoy networking and it interests you, why not go for it?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Well, currently i'm studying BTEC level 3 Software Development (UK). Currently we have done Web Dev & Soft Dev, no networking yet but I really like network for some reason :S

Anyway I have thought about doing Computer Network in University and maybe doing some Cisco certifications ( Are they good? ) In the order all the way to CCIE (not straight away maybe after years)

Is this a good plan? Should I change it anyway? Is Networking Good? Whats the pay like?(Average) 

Have you got any stories? 

Please tell me anything useful as well thanks

and sorry for the amount of questions  :o

Hey. I did allmost the same corse as you  it was a BTEC Extended Diploma In IT  and it looks like you took some of the modules that I took.  Do you know what the rest of the modules are that your going to be doing?   As my corse included half a cisco certification and a basic networking unit.

So I did colege for 2 years (course above) and lots of work experaince in a big company in their IT department. I got involved with their servers, network and datacenters. 

When I left college after a few months I managed to get a job working as a 1st Line Network Support Engineer in a UK datacenter.

So I do everything from running cables to racks to running commands on Cisco routers and looking after the core network.

I chose not to go to Uni as I didnt think a £25,000 debt was the best way to go.  If I was pasionate enough about becoming a server/network engineer  then someone would eventualy take me.   So while Im working now im teaching my self CCNA, CCNP and then CCIE  and will take the exams in my own time all while getting paid and getting the experiance.

I have got to say some people want to go to Uni.  Its up to what your gut fealing is.  If you think it would be more benifical for you to go and do a course, rack up some rediculus debt and still not have the experiance for an emplyer to say "I want you"  or to study in your own time at your own pace.  Get a Junior/ apprentice job in a company, and build your self up that way with the experiace behind you as well as the exams that you can take in your own time.

Qulifications are good.  No doubt about that.  But the bottom line is every interview I went to I was questioned on the experiance.  quite a few times I was turned down by the companys becuase I had no experiance. so Visious circle!     But then if you go to Uni your still not going to have the experiance...  just a qulification.    I have met a few people that came just out of Uni and they may have known a few more cisco commands than me but realy i couldnt see a difference.

So ultimately its up to you.   I enjoy networking, servers, computers and tech.  and I enjoy my job.   So my best advice has got to be  if you still have some time left to decide what you want to do.  Try and get some work experiance in networking. email and or call companies and ask them if they would offer you work experance in their IT department and say your intrested in networking and computer infrastructure.  If you get something  grate!   the more experiance the better! weather your going to Uni or not

My starting salary was £15,000 a year  and it gets higher each year you work.  I know some big companies that will pay 30-40 + for a well experianced network guy so its going to be good pay if you can get to grips with it all. That was the London salary by the way normaly if you want an average salary out of london you would need to remove say 2-3,000.   Have a look at some of the junior and senior jobs on websites.  Look at what certifications and knoledge they are looking for,  then you can start to teach your self what you need to know.  (at least thats what I have done)

If you want to have a look in to it.  you might as well start of with say somthing like the Cisco Packet Tracer.  You can use that to "virtualise " in a sense cisco routers and switches, it will allow you to make basic or complex networks without having to buy anything.

You could even start of with buying a cisco CCNA book off Amazon  I think it was £33 last time i looked, that will teach you everything you need to know to start of with.  Goes in to Lan's, WAN's spercific routing and switching protocalls etc.

But cisco isnt the be all and end all of networking.  Theres loads of different areas.  Allthough you will find  any big company or data centre will run cisco routers or some cisco equipment. It is basicly the back bone of the internet most of your connections will have traveled though some sort of cisco gear.

Im 20 now so you can only be a little bit younger than me.   Let me know if you have any questions. PM me if you wish i'll be happy to answer :)

Good luck!

PS. (wow i wrote alot !)

Network Engineer of 10yrs here.  Do it.  It's a challenging job.  Become an expert and doors will open for you...  I design and build Continuous Integration systems.  From home.  In my basement.  Sometimes I don't wear pants.

Seriously, absorb as much knowledge as you can, become the content matter expert no matter where you work in IT.  Experience and attitude are all that matter.  Certifications are nice and some companies probably look for them - In my experience in IT, real world experience and technical aptitude will take you a long way.

ITIL certifications are big in the corporate world now.  Understand business process, agile methodology, and become a scrum master, then you can wear no pants, like me!