How to test if an antistatic wrist strap is working?

mgsstar
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

If you want to check to make sure that the thing itself is not broken, connect a multimeter to either side and measure its resistance.

How do I test if my antistatic wrist strap is working? I tried the thing using the volt meter where it tests if the line is continuous but it reported that it wasn't continuous.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

If you want to check to make sure that the thing itself is not broken, connect a multimeter to either side and measure its resistance.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

How high of a resistance? Because it shouldn't be much. Make sure the leads are directly touching the metal.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

use a multimeter on continuity mode, put one probe on each end of the strap 

if the multimeter beeps, then the strap works 

if not then it doesn't work. 

I dislike using earth ground, because if i'm ever electrocuted I will probably be hurt pretty bad. Grounding via your case would protect you from that ;)

That being said, It's to much hassle to be connected to be a strap that will force you to move linearly :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I dislike using earth ground, because if i'm ever electrocuted I will probably be hurt pretty bad. Grounding via your case would protect you from that ;)

Wanna explain to me why grounding vis earth would hurt anymore or less than grounding to your case?

15" MBP TB

Wanna explain to me why grounding vis earth would hurt anymore or less than grounding to your case?

I have no clue, heard it a long time ago, just stuck really :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I have no clue, heard it a long time ago, just stuck really :P

Nah, from my understanding of physics, it doesn't matter. No matter what electrons are leaving your body (this is the painful one to you) and going somewhere else. The one that's painful for the you is when you pull electrons off them.

15" MBP TB

99% of people who do use wrist/ankle straps dont use them correctly.. they might put the other end on something metal, yet the metal they have connected to isnt grounded properly.. best way to do it is just touch some blank metal on a plugged but turned off power supply.. 

I'm sorry but I have to say this please change your profile pic it is scaring me and creeping me whenever I see it I have nightmares please change it please

Stare at it for prolonged periods of time... It gets worse funny-face-swaps-bizarre-33.jpg?w=499&h=

Stick a fork in the wall plug... - not sure about the rest.

EDIT: I am not responsible for whatever it does to you.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

The strap seems to have worked because I was working on the computer and it booted after I finished doing it. :) Connected it onto a powered off psu.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I know of one sure fire way to make dead sure your anti-static pad/wrist-strap is going to work without a single doubt!

1. Buy a copper rod and stick it in the earth.

2. Attach a copper wire to it and enough slack so the wire reaches your working location.

3. Attach your copper wire to the anti-static pad/wrist-strap.

Anti-Static Perfection.

(I know of people who have done this :ph34r:  )

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Oh god please no no noooo

I like your profile pic.

CPU: i5 2500K (@ stock for now) GPU: Gigabyte GTX650Ti OC MOBO: Intel P67 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston (@1333MHz) PSU: 550w Xilence CASE: Generic :D MONITOR: Dell U2412M (24', 1200p 16:10) MOUSE: Acme something KB: Logitech K260