Caseking/OcUK selling GTX970's with 980pcb, reference cooler and cherry picked components -> no coil whine guarantee

FatalityDiablo
Go to solution Solved by Da'Argo,

Going to try and get 2 of em for Holidays.

Wanted to share this with you guys, because I have mixed feelings about this card.

On one side I love how their "CWR Edition" (-> Coil Whine Reduction) is basically an uber 970 that has top notch components(i.a. samsung vram only) on a 980 pcb with the 980's reference cooler and just glorious geforce everything.

BUT - isn't it just a business-move along the current sales figures? I mean it is basically nothing new, a cut down 980 that costs more than the ASUS Strix 970 and probably performs worse than that.

Still I am kind of drawn to buy one, because of how solid it looks, how ever I will have a this feeling being ripped off:D what do you guys think about this "pay more and it works like it supposed to" 970 reference edition?

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Grafikkarten/Alle-Grafikkarten/Caseking-GeForce-GTX-970-CWR-Edition-4096-MB-GDDR5::30071.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1524613/kg-ocuk-begin-selling-gtx-970s-with-reference-style-cooler

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I will always pay the lowest I can on a video card so how I feel about this card is no I will not pay more for a guarantee of no coil whine.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I will always pay the lowest I can on a video card so how I feel about this card is no I will not pay more for a guarantee of no coil whine.

You will pay the lowest you can for the most important component when it comes to getting all them sweet frames? O_O

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

You will pay the lowest you can for the most important component when it comes to getting all them sweet frames? O_O

Yes I will because the cards generally are within 1 or 2 FPS of each other and that usually is just because of things randomly happening a certain way at the time.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Yes I will because the cards generally are within 1 or 2 FPS of each other and that usually is just because of things randomly happening a certain way at the time.  

You do not prefer better cooling solutions, custom PCB, better VRM control? You do not want longevity and lower temps?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

You do not prefer better cooling solutions, custom PCB, better VRM control? You do not want longevity and lower temps?

Thing is "better cooling solutions, custom PCB, better VRM control" is the "only" profit you get from spending 80-100bucks more than the lowest priced 970.. Still it kinda makes you feel good when you know you have a high end 970 with badass components^^

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

I agree, but I try and get one from a reasonable brand at the lowest price. Usually, it's MSI.

Thing is "better cooling solutions, custom PCB, better VRM control" is the "only" profit you get from spending 80-100bucks more than the lowest priced 970.. Still it kinda makes you feel good when you know you have a high end 970 with badass components^^

80-100? More like 30-40 more O_o

80-100? More like 30-40 more O_o

Archangel has a point.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Going to try and get 2 of em for Holidays.

Case: Corsair 500R (BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green) -  CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2 -  Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming -  GPUs: Asus Strix GTX 970  -  RAM: Kingston Black - 8GB 2133 -  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750G 750W -  Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  -  HDDs: OCZ Vector 150 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Green 500GB -  Monitor: Acer B246HYL ymdpr 23.8 IPS  -  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical -  Audio: Sennheiser HD 600 - Magni 2/ Modi 2

Not at all, longevity and risk of DOA is the biggest problem with the lowest end cards, many of them (especially PowerColor and Sapphire on AMD) have power delivieries that have a life forecast of 2-3 years, longer only if you're lucky. Or coil whine problems that especially XFX have specialized in in the past. On Nvidia it's a bit different, because Nvidia doesn't even allow board partners (just like Intel doesn't allow partners) to use those extra-low SKU caps on the PCBs, BUT they find other way to cut corners. MSi, ASUS and Gigabyte all had some temporary problems on the 7xx generation of cards on their entry level. On a certain percentage of cards, MSi had leaking fan bearings for a while, ASUS kicked off the generation with some cards that had corrupted VRAM (lowest quality ELPIDA chips available) and Gigabyte advertised a 780Ti Gigahertz edition of which almost half the cards shipped had to be underclocked by the end user due to underbinned chips.

You shouldn't buy entry-level unless you're prepared to RMA at a 5%~20% likelihood, even one step up to mid-range and the risk is down to 1%.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.