Central Server Build

gibbsy81

Hello all,

So I am wondering would it be possible to setup a powerful server where clients connect to and use the power of the server to do things like play games render video and other demanding tasks.

Or would i have to setup virtual machines and have the clients rdp into them then do things like play games on them.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. 

Virtual Machines are much more flexible, you can VM a machine across a cluster with mean MOAR POWER.
And load balancing can be done which is pretty sweet.

Also most stream are done using a app that has inputs and a video feed, and the experience depends on the bandwidth and latency

Playing games and gpu rendering, no not easy with VMs as far as I know.

Otherwise a great option, and the management is very easy.

An example of what you can do is make a render farm

For example:

If you are rending a video in Maya or something under certain circumstances, Maya would split the load to all of the machines, sending a few frames at a time per machine, potentially making your render on the order of tens or hundreds of times faster. Most of those loads are CPU bound.

It really depends on the task. For GPU farms, idk exactly. I've never set one up, and IDK if it is possible to reliably give a virtual machine direct and full access to a GPU

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

RDP is not a suitable protocol to play games over really... 

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

RDP is not a suitable protocol to play games over really...

What would you suggest

Citrix sounds like what your looking for, although you will need some serious GPU power to do so with 5 connected users. Your talking serious money to do this, you would need Nvidia GRID cards to do this kind of thing over Citrix or similar, which aren't cheap..

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

What would you suggest

If you want to play games on a client PC and have the game rendered elsewhere, there's really only two options:

1. Steam In Home Streaming

2. NVIDIA Game Stream

In either case, your host machine will need to be a high-end gaming rig (Well it can be any kind of computer, but you will get better performance, with the higher end rigs). NVIDIA Game Stream obviously requires an NVIDIA GPU, but Steam streaming works with either GPU brand.

Additionally, you'll only be able to have ONE user Game Streaming at a time, regardless of Steam vs NVIDIA.

You could try building a super powerful server with multiple GPU's, but it will be very very expensive, very complicated, and very prone to problems. Performance will also likely be shit no matter what you do here.

For 5 simultaneous users doing OTHER kinds of work, VM's on a decently powerful server can work nicely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Citrix sounds like what your looking for, although you will need some serious GPU power to do so with 5 connected users. Your talking serious money to do this, you would need Nvidia GRID cards to do this kind of thing over Citrix or similar, which aren't cheap..

True, you could actually build your own NVIDIA GRID Server/Cluster, but I don't even know what the requirements would be. It would also cost thousands of dollars. Is the software for that even available to consumers?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

True, you could actually build your own NVIDIA GRID Server/Cluster, but I don't even know what the requirements would be. It would also cost thousands of dollars. Is the software for that even available to consumers?

Precisely my point, serious money  :P

I have the advantage of getting to work with these kind of things, however for a consumer in this situation it's just not viable.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

That is a superold Server with two single core CPUs from 2004 and no dedicated CPU.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

That is a superold Server with two single core CPUs from 2004 and no dedicated CPU.

Yep, @gibbsy81 the CPU's in that server are Opteron 250's. That's literally a 10-year old CPU. It's Socket 940, which means it's from the "Athlon 64" era, K8 architecture.

These things are ancient and will be slow for pretty much anything but a file server. DEFINITELY not suitable for multiple clients using Server Side applications. That server also seems a bit of a ripoff. You should be able to find one with Core 2 Quad era Xeons for a similar price, perhaps with less HDD's.

Keep in mind, any server you find on eBay, is gonna cost a crap-load to ship anywhere, so make sure to find one as close to your location as possible to save on shipping. You may also want to seriously increase your budget, or even build your own server using desktop grade components.