Asus Z87-K and i5 4460

Nexus11

Hi,

How can i update the Asus Z87-K bios in order for it to support the i5 4460?

I mean without having another CPU install and running the bios updated through windows.

Thanks

Don't think that board has the USB BIOS Flashback functionality of the other Z97 boards...so, you won't be able to.

Aside from that, the 4460 isn't a Devil's Canyon chip...not sure why you would need to update the BIOS to get it running :huh:

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Aside from that, the 4460 isn't a Devil's Canyon chip...not sure why you would need to update the BIOS to get it running :huh:

^ The bios doesn't does need updating.

Edit: My bad--thought that the 4460 was Haswell and not Haswell-R. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A great board though! I love mine, great feature set, the only CON would be the 2nd PCIE slot being PCIE 2.0 4x.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A great board though! I love mine, great feature set, the only CON would be the 2nd PCIE slot being PCIE 2.0 4x.

Did you update your bios or it worked out of the box??

Did you update your bios or it worked out of the box??

Worked fine out of the box. And I did update it later on as well, not because I had any issues, but because I prefer to have an updated mobo bios no matter what system I have.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

^ The bios doesn't need updating.

That's what I assumed, but the language ASUS chooses to use on their H81 BIOS descriptions is slightly misleading,

"*Note:Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool"

Which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense considering all Haswell's are 4th gen. :lol:

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Will the I5 4460 work on the Z87 -K though?? On the Asus website it says that an update is needed.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87K/HelpDesk_CPU/

It will work after an update--I made a mistake and thought the 4460 was Haswell and not Haswell-R. 

The 4460 is a Haswell refresh cpu so I'm guessing that a bios update is needed.

^

That's what I assumed, but the language ASUS chooses to use on their H81 BIOS descriptions is slightly misleading,

"*Note:Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool"

Which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense considering all Haswell's are 4th gen. :lol:

I think 'new Intel 4th gen' is  referring to Haswell-R. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There is no way to do a BIOS update to that motherboard without already owning a Haswell chip. You might want to reconsider your mobo or CPU choices.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Instead of getting a 4460 (haswell refresh) get a 4430 (standard haswell) just 100MHz lower clock speed 1% lower performance. I'd rather advice getting a 4670K for a Z87 board though if you're into overclocking. 

Why Z-board with a locked CPU? maybe for SLI but the Z87-K doesnt have it. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Worked fine out of the box. And I did update it later on as well, not because I had any issues, but because I prefer to have an updated mobo bios no matter what system I have.

Can you tell me what was the BIOS version on first boot and on what version you are now??

You have the i5 4690..right.

Can you tell me what was the BIOS version on first boot and on what version you are now??

You have the i5 4690..right.

Yep the i5 4690

I started with Z97-K BIOS 2202 out of the box, currently on 2307, 2308 has been released but I've not done that yet, 2307 has been super stable and until I see an issue, I'll stick with it.