650w or 850w PSU For Single GTX 980 Build.

So I'm currently in the process of getting my parts together for a $1500-$1700 (Canadian) build. 

Most of the budget is being dumped into the GTX 980 so I'm finding ways to actually stay within budget. 

I can save some coin by running a lower wattage power supply, though I'm staying 80 plus gold or above. 

Will 650w be enough to power the system. Most likely some light overclocking on both cpu (i5 4690k) and gpu (980). SLI is not really part of future plans...

thanks for the help. 

650 is enough.

650 is more then enough for even extreme overclocks on the CPU and GPU.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If you're not going to SLI then you're definitely okay with the 650 watt psu.

I don't remember the exact power requirements but PCPartpicker told me that 650 would suit 970 SLI and a even 980 SLI, IIRC. WHen I was looking at that option.

Maxwell is very efficient.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

650 for sure, you don't want to have a PSU rated way higher than the system because although it is certified to an efficiency standard; that only applies when a certain wattage is being used. When the system draws much less power than what a PSU is rated at it can be very inefficient and sometimes cause the lifespan of the PSU to decrease. 

-J.T.

dual GTX 980 will be fine even with 650W Gold rated psu so it will be 100% fine with one

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

650 for sure, you don't want to have a PSU rated way higher than the system because although it is certified to an efficiency standard; that only applies when a certain wattage is being used. When the system draws much less power than what a PSU is rated at it can be very inefficient and sometimes cause the lifespan of the PSU to decrease. 

50% is most efficient

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

50% is most efficient

usually about 80% use is most efficient....

correct? O.o

having a computer that draws 500 and having a 1000 watt psu is bad... thats what i know. >_<

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Actually if you guys look at the curve (of at least the certification), anything above 20 or 30% (I forgot which one) load is fine, but if you go lower the efficiency tanks. I'm also not sure about the MOST efficient percent, but the difference is not huge.

Neither. I'd put in a 550-watt unit.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn