Hello,

Greetings,

Today I cleaned my R9 270x,I blew and brushed off the dust and I washed the heatsink in water after removing the thermal paste and thermal pads.After I dried up the heatsink I reapplied thermal paste and pads.After assembling it back together I plugged it back into my PC and ran some benchmarks to check the temps.The temps remained pretty much the same BUT the FPS was crazy.In furmark I used to get 35-37 FPS and now I am getting 15-17 FPS,and in BF4 I used to get around 45-110 FPS on ultra in 1080p but now i barely even get 30 FPS.HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!?!??!.I am sure that the card isn't throttling as the max temp is around 80.So what could be the problem?

Thank you.

did you screw it tightly or sparingly?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I screwed all of the screws using little force except the four screws that hold the cooler in place,I used some force to tight those ones.

I screwed all of the screws using little force except the four screws that hold the cooler in place,I used some force to tight those ones.

okay as long as that extra force didn't over tighten them... Is there a overclock? what thermal pads did you use?

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I used the same thermal pads as before,I took them out and carefully stored them and after that I reused them and there is no overclock,just the factory overclock of 1070MHZ

Have you tried reseating the graphics card again?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Hello,

Greetings,

Today I cleaned my R9 270x,I blew and brushed off the dust and I washed the heatsink in water after removing the thermal paste and thermal pads.After I dried up the heatsink I reapplied thermal paste and pads.After assembling it back together I plugged it back into my PC and ran some benchmarks to check the temps.The temps remained pretty much the same BUT the FPS was crazy.In furmark I used to get 35-37 FPS and now I am getting 15-17 FPS,and in BF4 I used to get around 45-110 FPS on ultra in 1080p but now i barely even get 30 FPS.HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?!?!?!??!.I am sure that the card isn't throttling as the max temp is around 80.So what could be the problem?

Thank you.

Download GPU-Z then click on the sensors tab and check to see if everything is normal while running furmark. Make sure the core clock is staying at 1070Mhz and not throttling and check your VRM temps etc. If everything seems normal download Unigine valley and check to see if you are getting proper scores. If you are, Proceed to uninstall furmark because it's shit.

Hope this helps let me know.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

How could that affect performance?
According to me,it would only affect temps and my GPU isn't throttling.

OHHH NOOO.

the gpu is throttling to 450MHZ but the max temp is 87.

How could that affect performance?

According to me,it would only affect temps and my GPU isn't throttling.

If your graphics card is throttling the core clock speed of course it would effect performance. That's like underclocking your CPU/CPU and expecting it to perform the same.

How to I check V-RAM temps?

It will say under the "sensors" tab on GPU-Z but it doesn't show with every graphics card. Btw quote peoples posts if you want them to get a notification when you reply. Just download Unigine Valley and run the ExtremeHD Benchmark and see what Score/FPS you are getting/

OHHH NOOO.

the gpu is throttling to 450MHZ but the max temp is 87.

Is it going down to 450Mhz under load or at idle? It's supposed to downclock itself at idle but it should be staying at a solid 1070Mhz when under load.

It was throttling to 450MHZ under load but now that I applied some MX4 it's only throttling to 1020MHZ under load but the temps are 100c max.are these temps OK?

It was throttling to 450MHZ under load but now that I applied some MX4 it's only throttling to 1020MHZ under load but the temps are 100c max.are these temps OK?

No. My Gigabyte R9 270X overclocked to 1160/1550 hit around 67c max but that was using Unigine Valley. I don't recommend using Furmark unless your goal is to kill your graphics card. Is the 100c temp the GPU Temp or VRM Temp? 

Never ever run Furmark, its a card killer.

I'm not sure what happened, but there was no need for you to wash the heatsink with water, a good dusting and changing of paste is all that you need to do.

Clearly what is happening is your card is overheating and throttling itself down.

Make sure everything is screwed down properly.  Also, how much TIM did you use?  graphics cards require a lot more TIM than CPUs.  I also recommend you spread the TIM out a little because the mounting pressure of the stock GPU heatsink is not as much as CPU heatsinks.  The pea method doesn't work nearly as well on GPUs.  Your temps should be no where near 100C.

We need to get you down into the 60s/70s/80s(MAX)

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

100*C is not okay. Although, they can handle that kind of heat, it shouldn't be even reaching those temperatures -- especially for a R9-270X. No way in hell.

If your GPU core is reaching 100*C, your VRM temperatures are most likely going to be 100*C+.

If you go to the "sensors" tab in GPU-Z, and scroll down, you will see two temperature readings. VRM1 and VRM2.

Example: Here is a snapshot of my GPU-Z "Sensors" tab.

As you can see, VRM Temperature 1, and VRM Temperature 2 at the very bottom.

gxeho3m.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Edit nvm 

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

What was your reapplication technique? it's different to a CPU.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

No. Ideally it will be above 70, sitting at 60-65 is ok. If it goes above 70, then stop!