PC Gaming Survey - 10 quick questions, I could use your help

APInnSol
Intel Core i5-4690k @ 4.8ghz, 32GB G-Skill 1866mhz, Gigabyte Z98MX-GAMING 5 mATX, Aercool DS Cube Case /w carbon fiber mods, 2x Galaxy GTX 970 4GB, 2x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro RAID0,  Hitachi 3TB external, Cooler Master Seidon 120v, 2x NZXT Kraken X41 140mm, 2x NZXT Kraken G10 adapters, Seasonic 860-XP2 860W PSU, sleeved white PSU cables, Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller, Win 8.1 Pro x64 

Display: Asus ROG Swift

Done! :D

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Answered, a couple of odd things in the survey though. For example you can't have competition without multiplayer, so having to rate those two against each other seems pointless. Should've done a "How much does x mean to you in a game?" from 1-5 or similar IMO. 

So what is this for might I ask?

Of course you can ask! Will I answer? NO! Just kidding, the reason why I am collecting this data is I want to make a presentation to a company to offer consulting for them.  This data will help me determine if my idea is worth continuing to pitch to that company or if i should abandon the idea.

Intel Core i5-4690k @ 4.8ghz, 32GB G-Skill 1866mhz, Gigabyte Z98MX-GAMING 5 mATX, Aercool DS Cube Case /w carbon fiber mods, 2x Galaxy GTX 970 4GB, 2x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro RAID0,  Hitachi 3TB external, Cooler Master Seidon 120v, 2x NZXT Kraken X41 140mm, 2x NZXT Kraken G10 adapters, Seasonic 860-XP2 860W PSU, sleeved white PSU cables, Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller, Win 8.1 Pro x64 

Can we see the results? Eventually? 

Sure!

I'm hoping to get about 500 responses, and just started this tonight and have about 50 so far.  I'd estimate in about a week or 2 i should have enough results to share.

Answered, a couple of odd things in the survey though. For example you can't have competition without multiplayer, so having to rate those two against each other seems pointless. Should've done a "How much does x mean to you in a game?" from 1-5 or similar IMO. 

Hey Hans,

Yeah i see what you mean.  However, the idea behind "multiplayer" and "competition" are not necessarily the same. Just as "challenge" and "competition" are similar too.

To explain this more, some people like games that have a large amount of people, like world of warcraft.  But some people that play world of warcraft are not necessarily very competitive.  Or similarly Minecraft is multiplayer, but you may not necessarily be competing with anyone in particular, but your goal may be to just build something with your buddy.  Also when talking about challenge vs competition, a game like dark souls can be extremely challenging (difficult) for many.  To me competition really is about people that take the game very serious to win, in particular eSports games like League of Legends and starcraft that have leagues.

On a side note, thanks for everyone that's responded to the survey already.  I've posted this on reddit, pcper, anandtech, toms, overclock, hardforum, ign, gamespot, pcgaming forum, etc and this is by far the most responses i've seen.

Done :) Good luck with your pitch!

Thanks guys!

Of course you can ask! Will I answer? NO! Just kidding, the reason why I am collecting this data is I want to make a presentation to a company to offer consulting for them.  This data will help me determine if my idea is worth continuing to pitch to that company or if i should abandon the idea.

Doesn't sound like it's going to work out.  :P

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

As i've mentioned, i've posted this all over different forums. Linus and Overclock seem to be by far the most responsive, and i really appreciate it!

A few people have mentioned that some of the questions are a bit awkward, wierd, or worded funny.  I totally agree.  However, time was not on my side on this and despite the awkwardness of some of the questions, the results are what really matter, and they are there.

So I appologize if the survey felt a bit strange, but also remember I'm not a professional surveyer for my day job :).  

I had some people asking to post results.  We'll forutnately i've had great responses, already 144 responses.  I'm hoping for 500 by end of the week.

Here are preliminary results:

-93% male
-70% between 15 and 24 years old, 42% 19-24 years old.
-about 95% prefer PC (thank god smile.gif! )
-Shooters are the most popular at 22%, MOBA's are the second most popular at 21%, and Standard RPG's are the 3rd most popular at 15%. After that its MMORPG, "OTHER", Action adventure, RTS (low favorite surprised me here), Simulator, Racing, Sports.
-Here is something interesting, when you go to a ranking system Standard RPG becomes most popular, followed closely by Shooter and then Action adventure. The rest follow in order with MMORPG, Racing, Simulator, MOBA, RTS, Sports, Other. This is interesting because MOBA drops way down and Racing comes up a lot.
-The most important quality of a game was "game feels finalized/tested" followed closely by "balance. Price has a close 3rd place, and after that there is about a 4 way tie between play with friends, solo gaming, competition, and multiplayer. AFter those it drops off with Challenge, teamwork games, clans and guilds, easy to play, and other.
-50% of people have bought gaming merchandise. About 14 have not bought gaming merchandise and never will. about 36% have not bought any but would consider it.
-Of people that have purchased gaming merchandise, clothing was the most popular.
-Of people that have not purchased gaming merchandise, art and computer accessories were the most popular.
-76% of surveys said they would like it if they purchased merchandise related to a F2P game and got in game item(s) like a skin.

Thanks, and if you have not  taken the survey yet i really would appreciate if you could spare the few minutes.

Thanks!

Alex

Doesn't sound like it's going to work out.  :P

LOL! :)

Survey isn't too long, so I don't mind taking it. 

I personally dislike MOBA games, but I was still surprised to see it so low.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Survey isn't too long, so I don't mind taking it. 

I personally dislike MOBA games, but I was still surprised to see it so low.

Yeah, I'm surprised too!  I've been thinking about these results a bit.  As you can see people are saying MOBAs are one of their favorites, but when a total rank is done across genres they come in low.  Also when you look at what's important to people, balance and a finalized product are at the top.  I wouldnt be surprised if some people are playing MOBAs because they have been pretty balanced and polished, whereas shooters rank high but year after year the top shooters are released in a somewhat broken/unfinished/unbalanced state (My opinion from COD/BF series).

Look at COD: AW for PC that just released.  It's BY FAR the best COD (in my opinion) on the PC since MW2, but it still suffers from a variety of problems like all of the CODs have had since COD4, especially lag compensation.  Every game I'll die to an enemy that was on my screen for less than a second and then i watch the killcam and he saw me for 3 seconds, enough time to empty his whole clip.

The PC community has been VERY vocal and clear with Activision that they want dedicated servers for years, and it continues to get brushed aside.  I dont know if any of you saw the AMA on reddit recently but it was ridiculous.  Everyone asked about dedicated servers and the guy just dodged the questions.

Up to 192 responses now! Thanks for the help so far everyone here at Linustechtips!

Done!

Thanks Pox!

Were all the way up at 215 now! Man it's fun watching the ticker :)