Looking to switch email services, anyone got any recommendations?

Norco
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

This isn't a discussion about whatever the US Government is or isn't doing, I just want an alternative email service.

I'd just go with your own domain & raspberry pi - probably easier than finding an email service you trust...

Currently using Google Mail but I'm going to be avoiding using their services as much as possible.  I've looked at LavaBit but they're hosted inside the US, recent data mining is a big turn off and I've also looked at HushMail but I've been told by others to avoid this service. 

I don't mind paying for this service either, as long as it is reasonable. :)

Why are you switching email providers? To be honest, Gmail is probably one of the best out there.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Host it yourself? ;)

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

Why are you avoiding Google? Gmail is a great email, and maybe even the best. Other options that come to mind are yahoo, or the email that came with your ISP. 

Why are you switching email providers? To be honest, Gmail is probably one of the best out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

Host it yourself? ;)

That is something I've been looking at, maybe just getting a raspberry pi and registering a domain name is my best option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

That is something I've been looking at, maybe just getting a raspberry pi and registering a domain name is my best option.

Thank you for linking me to a wikipedia page on PRISM. If you read the statement from Google, Larry Page clearly states that they have not given the government any data.

EDIT: Relevant article http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2013/06/what.html

EDIT 2.0: Here's a link to all the data that Google's ever given to the US government http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/userdatarequests/US/

Notice how the majority falls under subpoena and search warrants, neither of which they can deny access to.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

EDIT 2.0: Here's a link to all the data that Google's ever given to the US government http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/userdatarequests/US/

Notice how the majority falls under subpoena and search warrants, neither of which they can deny access to.

Well that's the info they are giving us, they might be giving them much much more!

tinfoil-hat.jpg

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

This isn't a discussion about whatever the US Government is or isn't doing, I just want an alternative email service. :)

This isn't a discussion about whatever the US Government is or isn't doing, I just want an alternative email service.

I'd just go with your own domain & raspberry pi - probably easier than finding an email service you trust...

If you host it yourself be careful, your ISP may or may not allow that. They may not care or even notice but they just MIGHT care and MIGHT notice.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

It might be a fun project I guess, and an excuse to get a raspberry pi :)

If you host it yourself be careful, your ISP may or may not allow that. They may not care or even notice but they just MIGHT care and MIGHT notice.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ohh that might be something I'd have to look into, especially since I don't pay that bill.