The PB278Q is still a good monitor right?

Jedicake

Already have a "gaming" monitor (VG248QE). Want a fantastic looking 1440p monitor for cinematic experience, still a great looking one? Any better color/contrast ones out there?

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

If you're after the best cinematic experience, then you should really go with a 4k 30hz monitor. 

/lol

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Solid monitor. I could only suggest going up to a wide screen 3840x1440 from a PB278Q. If you're the type of person who likes to tinker then overclocking on PLS panels can be a lot of fun. As you increase the hz you need to fiddle with contrasts and build your own profiles or pre-sets. Goodluck, you won't regret investing in a PB278Q

Solid monitor. I could only suggest going up to a wide screen 3820x1440 from a PB278Q. If you're the type of person who likes to tinker then overclocking on PLS panels can be a lot of fun. As you increase the hz you need to fiddle with contrasts and build your own profiles or pre-sets. Goodluck, you won't regret investing in a PB278Q

Do you mean a 21:9 or 4K display?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Already have a "gaming" monitor (VG248QE). Want a fantastic looking 1440p monitor for cinematic experience, still a great looking one? Any better color/contrast ones out there?

Yeah, it's still a good monitor. Why wouldn't it be? :)

Isn't cinematic 792p at 30FPS ;)

Joking aside it's still a really good monitor

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

Yeah, it's still a good monitor. Why wouldn't it be? :)

I dunno. Just worried I'll buy it then soon after they'll come out with a new 1440p monitor that looks way better. I'm a paranoid silly goose

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

21:9 is the aspect ratio, 3840x1440 is the resolution.  So yes the only upgrade from a PB278Q for someone looking for a "cinematic" monitor that I could think of as worthwhile is a 21:9 monitor with a resolution of 3840x1440. By upgrade I mean a panel which is both better and more expensive.

Do you mean a 21:9 or 4K display?

21:9 is the aspect ratio, 3840x1440 is the resolution.  So yes the only upgrade from a PB278Q for someone looking for a "cinematic" monitor that I could think of as worthwhile is a 21:9 monitor with a resolution of 3840x1440. By upgrade I mean a panel which is both better and more expensive.

Ah alight. Just to note though, and it's easy to get mixed up, but the resolution is actually 3440x1440. It would awesome if those monitors were that wide because then you'd get much closer to having a monitor that was more like two display in one. ;):)

True that.

Ah alight. Just to note though, and it's easy to get mixed up, but the resolution is actually 3440x1440. It would awesome if those monitors were that wide because then you'd get much closer to having a monitor that was more like two display in one. ;):)

Still? It never was

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Still? It never was

Bad post

Sorry to tell you mate, but the monitor suddenly became bad last week. Better luck next time.

Sorry to tell you mate, but the monitor suddenly became bad last week. Better luck next time.

*sigh*  I meant comparatively. Technology is released at a fast rate these days and it's very possible an IPS monitor would have came out that has much better color display since the few years the PB has been out.

Take a look at the upcoming AOC 34" ultra-wide monitor, it's going to be amazing. It definitely has a much better stand than LG's ultra-wide one and most people say it has a better panel. I've read that the price is going to be really competitive too!

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

The only things in my mind that have made it perhaps less of a contender is the affordable/competitive pricing of other competitors and BenQ's 1440 monitors being flicker free.

That said its still a good monitor for what it is (1440p).  They will be better ones for colours and contrast, build quality but I can't memorise the models so do your research check reviews etc. However alternatives may end up being more costly. 

Of course the monitor now it starts to face more competition with monitors it just can't compete with. 4k monitors are a class of their own, but you should consider the move to 4k an option.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

The only things in my mind that have made it perhaps less of a contender is the affordable/competitive pricing of other competitors and BenQ's 1440 monitors being flicker free.

That said its still a good monitor for what it is (1440p).  They will be better ones for colours and contrast, build quality but I can't memorise the models so do your research check reviews etc. However alternatives may end up being more costly. 

Of course the monitor now it starts to face more competition with monitors it just can't compete with. 4k monitors are a class of their own, but you should consider the move to 4k an option.

I'd love to do 4k. I'm just weary that my 780 SLI with only 3gb Vram isn't quite enough for a satisfying 4k

*sigh*  I meant comparatively. Technology is released at a fast rate these days and it's very possible an IPS monitor would have came out that has much better color display since the few years the PB has been out.

I'm just kidding, of course it's still a great monitor, but I'd take a look and see what is new (I don't know unfortunately). Also take a look at Dell's U2713hm, that's a very good and flicker-free monitor.