Worth upgrading stock cooler?

skywake
Go to solution Solved by skywake,

Cheers for the responses guys, just a quick follow up post. I just got home with and installed that Noctua NH-L9I low profile cooler. By god, Noctua puts some kind of magic in their fans. System is now bordering on silent at idle minus the GPU fans (which aren't that loud when nothing's happening) with the CPU fan doing 400RPM compared to the stock cooler's 1100RPM at idle. Running Prime 95 now for a good few minutes now and it's only marginally louder to my ear than the stock cooler was at idle and it's levelling out at 53C.

So I have a new build and it seems pretty quiet other than what I assume is the stock CPU cooler. It's in a Corsair Air 240 so it's fairly open and at idle it runs cool enough that the case fans can turn off completely. Assuming the noise I'm hearing is the CPU fan (my R9 285's fans turn right down using MSI Afterburner, 650W PSU fans turn off when under 30% load) is it worth getting a replacement CPU cooler? If so which one?

Worth noting:

- I have an i5 4590, no overclocking obviously

- CPU temps are decent (~40C idle, ~56C load)

- Case doesn't have enough clearance for a tower cooler

Currently looking at the Noctua NH-L9I.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

So I have a new build and it seems pretty quiet other than what I assume is the stock CPU cooler. It's in an Air 240 so it's fairly open and at idle it runs cool enough that the case fans can turn off completely. Assuming the noise I'm hearing is the CPU fan (my R9 285's fans turn right down using MSI Afterburner, 650W PSU fans turn off when under 30% load) is it worth getting a replacement CPU cooler? If so which one?

If the noise is actually the CPU fan, grab something like an Arctic Alpine 11 as a replacement. It's very cheap yet runs damn quiet.

"Rawr XD"

yes still worth it. Even if it's just an Evo 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Stop the fan with your hand or something to see if it's really your cpu fan. If it is, a better cooler could lower the noise if you've already tried slowing down the fan with the motherboard.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Cheers for the responses guys, just a quick follow up post. I just got home with and installed that Noctua NH-L9I low profile cooler. By god, Noctua puts some kind of magic in their fans. System is now bordering on silent at idle minus the GPU fans (which aren't that loud when nothing's happening) with the CPU fan doing 400RPM compared to the stock cooler's 1100RPM at idle. Running Prime 95 now for a good few minutes now and it's only marginally louder to my ear than the stock cooler was at idle and it's levelling out at 53C.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

so your worth it? question is answered there i think?  :D

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry