Pentium G3258 vs. I5 4590 in gaming

MorMor
Go to solution Solved by Vrbas,

Well if you're sticking with the SLI plan don't even bother considering the Pentium. The second card would just be a waste. 

I'd really consider just selling your current CPU and GPU. Get a 3570K and 970. That will play BF3/4 Ultra no problem and any other game at the highest settings. Would That route be more expensive than buying a new Mobo, CPU, PSU, 2nd GPU?

The pentium is allot cheaper. I have liquid cooling, so if I just overclock the Pentium, will it give the same if not better performance than the I5 in games? Only playing games on this build. If I buy the G3258, the extra money will be saved to buy a stronger power supply, so I can buy another 760 and run them in SLI. (Playing games like battlefield 3 + 4)

Current pc specs:
Core I3 3220 3.3ghz dual core
MSI GTX 760 2GB twin frozer
8GB 1600mhz RAM
520 watt power supply
Will be upgrading Motherboard to the MSI Z97S SLI PLUS.

Will the Pentium be able to run BF4 at ultra with my 760? And will it be able to handle 2 760s in SLI in the future?

In games that use one or two cores, an overclocked G3258 will be faster. In games like BF4 that can use as many cores as you throw at it, a 4590 at stock speeds will be faster. 

If you're using one or two cores, G3258 and i5 will perform exactly the same at the same clock speeds due to the individual Haswell cores being the same on both CPUs. It's just that one has two more cores, while the other is unlocked for overclocking.

"Rawr XD"

The pentium is allot cheaper. I have liquid cooling, so if I just overclock the Pentium, will it give the same if not better performance than the I5 in games? Only playing games on this build. If I buy the G3258, the extra money will be saved to buy a stronger power supply, so I can buy another 760 and run them in SLI. (Playing games like battlefield 3 + 4)

Since you play Battlefield a lot, have liquid cooling, and plan to OC, save up a bit longer for a 4690K.

"Rawr XD"

Since you play Battlefield a lot, have liquid cooling, and plan to OC, save up a bit longer for a 4690K.

yeah.. thats mabey a plan.... but... you know.... i really want it quick... im not very good at saving :(

Although the Pentium is pure awesome, i would go i5 to have that balance and stability, you may find a certain game may struggle with just 2 cores, though i have yet to see one that would stop a 4.5ghz+ Pentium.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Why not go with a 3570k or 3770? Then you won't need a new motherboard.

Yep, games that require more cores will definitely need that i5 more. A dual core is just not enough for some things. I just switched to a quad core from a dual core and oh my gosh it's so much faster.

ok so, what I am understanding here is: Either save alot of money on the pentium, and play SOME games good... OR buy the expensive I5 and play all games good?

Why not go with a 3570k or 3770? Then you won't need a new motherboard.

oh and I want to upgrade the motherboard, so I can run the 760 in SLI in the future.

oh and I want to upgrade the motherboard, so I can run the 760 in SLI in the future.

Honestly man, unless you have the money, you're much better off sticking with your current motherboard and buying an i5-3570k or i7-3770k and then buying the best single GPU you can afford. 2x 760s is not that powerful. Maybe equals a single 970. You would end up spending a lot more money for the same performance because you would also need a new PSU on top of new motherboard and processor.

Stick with your current mobo, buy either processor that you can find new or used, sell your 760 and buy the best single GPU you can afford.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Honestly man, unless you have the money, you're much better off sticking with your current motherboard and buying an i5-3570k or i7-3770k and then buying the best single GPU you can afford. 2x 760s is not that powerful. Maybe equals a single 970. You would end up spending a lot more money for the same performance because you would also need a new PSU on top of new motherboard and processor.

Stick with your current mobo, buy either processor that you can find new or used, sell your 760 and buy the best single GPU you can afford.

hehe wow.. so you are saying a 970 isn't a powerfull card? well, everybody has their own opinion i geuss

but thanks for your input. Thats mabey not a bad idea

Downplay 970 because it beats his 780 LOL.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Downplay 970 because it beats his 780 LOL.

lol

hehe wow.. so you are saying a 970 isn't a powerfull card? well, everybody has their own opinion i geuss

I think you misunderstood me. A 970 is a very powerful card. A 760, not so much. 2x 760s = ~1x 970. Makes more sense to stick with your current motherboard and switch from single 760 to single 970 or the most powerful single card you can afford.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

yeah.... but the 970 is very expensive (if obtainable) here in South Africa. So 2 760s is the closest I can get

Ok I apologise for my misunderstanding. But yeah, I rather go with 2 760s. cuz the board with SLI support I can get for very cheap

You are going to end up spending a lot more money going 2x 760s. You would need new CPU, motherboard, GPU, and PSU. Not to mention, SLI doesn't always scale or work well in every game. Dont get me wrong, id say it works well 90% of the time. Those other times, a single GPU will work better.

Now, if you were to go single GPU, doesn't have to be a 970, could be a 780,780ti,290,290x, etc.. you only have to buy a new processor and new GPU. You can also sell your current 760 to help fund a new GPU.

It doesn't make financial sense to pay more for the same performance.

Thanks. But actually(here in south africa) it would be cheaper going with the 2 760s. Will only going to be buying the next 760 and PSU. cuz i will be buying the motherboard now. Here in South Africa: 1 780ti cost R7800. Where 2 760s in total will be R6300. And a 750watt power supply is R700. Adding up to R7000. And 2 760's is a bit more powerfull than a 780ti

Well if you're sticking with the SLI plan don't even bother considering the Pentium. The second card would just be a waste. 

I'd really consider just selling your current CPU and GPU. Get a 3570K and 970. That will play BF3/4 Ultra no problem and any other game at the highest settings. Would That route be more expensive than buying a new Mobo, CPU, PSU, 2nd GPU?

More or less the same price. Yes. Thank you for your answer. Thanks for all your speedy replies.

More or less the same price. Yes. Thank you for your answer. Thanks for all your speedy replies.

Lol, I tell you to do the same thing and you tell me no, but when some one else gives you the same advice you go with it?

A single 780ti > 2 760s.

But anyway, you don't need a 780ti; 290s are incredibly cheap right now

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.