Installing new Motherboard/GPU/CPU - do I need to reformat?

Go to solution Solved by Unicorn Mayonnaise,

So I've got everything up and running!

I just built my new PC, booted and then un-installed all my old drivers (most of them anyway) before installing the new ones. I've had no conflicts thus far, and am enjoying running all my games on ultra :)

Cheers.

Hi guys!

This is my first post so I apologize if it's categorized wrong or anything, I don't work with forums that much.

I'm doing some major upgrades to my PC in the coming weeks, (I actually have the parts on the way) and though I know how to physically install the new parts, I'm unsure about how things will go down on the driver/software side of things.

I'll be replacing the MOBO/CPU/GPU/CPU cooler/fans/optical drive/case and keeping my existing RAM, SSD(this has the Win7 OS on it), HDD, PSU, and peripherals. 

The new parts are: 

1. AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor

2. Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

3. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard

4. Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card

These parts are compatible with my RAM, SSD(this has the Win7 OS on it), HDD, PSU, and peripherals, but I'm hoping I won't have to reformat my SSD when I boot.

I've heard yes and no from multiple people so I'm hoping to get a definitive answer. Do I reformat? Don't I? Can I just uninstall the old MOBO/nvidia drivers before swapping?

Thanks!

Yes you SHOULD do a full reinstall of windows and install the latest drivers to stop any issue that may occur. (If it even boots and I doubt that)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Remove old drivers first. Then you don't have to.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

you can just uninstall but there is a chance for traces to remain which can interfere with new drivers and cause problems so your safest bet would be to reformat.

It's typically in your best interest to reformat when you upgrade major components. But if you really want to drag your feet, then go for it.

Best case scenario, it works.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you have to reformat.

Thanks for the quick feedback! I'll give uninstalling the drivers a try, and if that fails then I could reformat I suppose. I do have everything backed up on an external drive.

So I've got everything up and running!

I just built my new PC, booted and then un-installed all my old drivers (most of them anyway) before installing the new ones. I've had no conflicts thus far, and am enjoying running all my games on ultra :)

Cheers.

I know you have it working but I will include some thoiughts for others who may wonder.  

Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not.  I upgraded from a Maximus V Formula to a VI Formula and only had to remove AIsuite II and reactivate windows.   

Other times I have had to do a complete restore, and even more times I have had to do a complete reformat.   There is no hard and fast answer for this.   If you want to be fast you can try it.  But it is always better to start over. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.