ATH-M50X

The_Strict_Nein

I'm looking into getting a new set of headphones, as while I love my HD668Bs, they're not all that comfortable for my head. According to hat sizing charts, I have an XXL head, and in order to fit the HD668Bs on my head I have to pop the little wing things out of the plastic bands.

I only hear good things about the ATH-M50X, but I was wondering if they'll still be good for a larger head size as comfort is key to me. Also, while I don't want bass to overpower me (I've got my Creative A250s with sub woofer for that) I would appreciate a little bit of bass for the odd techno session. Can the M50X deliver?

How do the headphones perform in gaming? I don't need surround (I play most games silently, but new games I play with sound for a while).

Lastly, is an AMP/DAC required? My Z97 MPOWER supposedly has a decent audio solution, but I don't know.

EDIT: If I get them on massdrop, they'll be £87 after shipping. Anything that can match it in that price range?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

good questions been thinking about the same myself :)

"It is complete. I have created a god. But I have no control over it."" -Ergo Proxy

An AMP/DAC isn't required, although it will (as always) improve the sound. They are, in fact, slightly biased in the bass section, despite being called studio monitors. The M40Xs are the best for a non-biased experience. They should be fine for larger heads, 180 degree cup swivel and a strong aluminium chassis which is very adjustable should keep you satisfied. They'll be fine for gaming: sooooo comfortable you won't realise you're wearing them! 3d stereo audio will work (because they're stereo, I guess) so that's great for location-finding-from-sound. Hope this helps!

BLACKWIDOW: i5 4690k - MSI GTX970 - 2x 4gb GSkill RJ X - 256gb MX100 - 1tb WD Blue - NZXT H440

the M50s are the hands down best balanced headphones in that price range I have the blue ones and they sound great plug into my computer. No dac/amp needed their not that high-end. Cant say anything about the size since i have a regular size head.

Yep, you can get them now on massdrop for $120. 5 days left though.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

The m50x is a big fat meh especially if you have a large head. I would go with the Sony mdr7506 instead.

Ordering on massdrop is a huge plus for foreigners, however. Dat currency conversion.

Ordering on massdrop is a huge plus for foreigners, however. Dat currency conversion.

Is it? I thought they prefer to get things local because they have to pay VAT either way. 

Is it? I thought they prefer to get things local because they have to pay VAT either way. 

Most of the time you don't end up having to pay it, and if you do it still works out cheaper

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Wondering kinda the same thing with these headphones. Plus my friend says the ATH-M45 are better at everything than the ATH-M50 or even the M50X. Don't know if its true or not. (Think its a load of crap but don't know)

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wondering kinda the same thing with these headphones. Plus my friend says the ATH-M45 are better at everything than the ATH-M50 or even the M50X. Don't know if its true or not. (Think its a load of crap but don't know)

We often recommend the M40X as a good alternative as it's quite cheaper and still pretty similar.

This is stereotyping, but in some (most actually) cases I've experienced, seems like western products (USA, Europe, etc) are more suited for bigger heads, than Asian products. M50x in particular, I found it just right for my Asian head. Might be too small or too tight for bigger heads...

the M50x will fit big heads, I know that for sure lol

but I personally like the giant oval shapes sennheiser makes (558, 598) to be more comfortable. especally for big heads.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

They are certainly very good headphones if you are searching for something balanced but with a nice bass boost as well. I have only used the m50 so I'm not entirely sure if it is the same for the m50x but the m50 had a extremely small soundstage I wouldn't want to use for gaming.