Gaming PC for the flat.

JonHewett95

So I have an oldish PC and I would like to turn it in to a gaming PC for the flat, it has an i5 760, 8GB of 1333 Mhz RAM and a 450w PSU.

I figure that all I need to do is get everyone to chip in (4 people) to get a new case and graphics card I'm thinking of going with either a R9 270 or 270x, I guess there will be enough PCIe lanes but would that work okay to run new games like alien isolation on decent settings? 

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

typically what is your max budget?

what is the brand of your PSU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

So I have an oldish PC and I would like to turn it in to a gaming PC for the flat, it has an i5 760, 8GB of 1333 Mhz RAM and a 450w PSU.

I figure that all I need to do is get everyone to chip in (4 people) to get a new case and graphics card I'm thinking of going with either a R9 270 or 270x, I guess there will be enough PCIe lanes but would that work okay to run new games like alien isolation on decent settings? 

By chip in do you mean your flatmates or us?....

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

a 270x or 750ti would be a great option

Depending on how much money you get you can probably get even better than that

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

typically what is your max budget?

what is the brand of your PSU?

Uhh, my old PC is at home at the moment but I think it's a zalman and it's an 80 plus bronze.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

a 270x or 750ti would be a great option

Depending on how much money you get you can probably get even better than that

yeah, anything below £200 combined would be fine. Since then £50 each sounds reasonable.

By chip in do you mean your flatmates or us?....

Haha, I mean my flat mates. I don't expect strangers that I've never met before to pay for components that they will never see.

Haha, I mean my flat mates. I don't expect strangers that I've never met before to pay for components that they will never see.

Depends on the quality of the nudes brah, shake it if you want to make it!

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Depends on the quality of the nudes brah, shake it if you want to make it!

Uhhhhh, can this be a safe zone free of sexual harassment...please?

It was banter, calm down. 

Is there going to be a no rpg rule for everyone gaming on this pc? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

your budget which you mentioned

you can opt for the R9 280 or R9 285

if you PSU is not able to support the above GPU

look for a higher wattage model like 550-600 watts

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It was banter, calm down. 

Is there going to be a no rpg rule for everyone gaming on this pc? 

I am entirely calm, I was sharing the joke in fact but I would just rather not have you comment on the thread any more if you don't have anything to suggest.

I am entirely calm, I was sharing the joke in fact but I would just rather not have you comment on the thread any more if you don't have anything to suggest.

I just did in my last post, how are 4 people going to share a gaming pc? 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

This is sharing the joke? This flat sounds like a barrel of laughs so. :P

Anyway back on topic before I get in trouble.

You will definitely be able to run it; but decent settings? Well that depends on what you expect from decent settings and framerate to be. At 1080p you will probably need to drop some of the more demanding options like shadows and anti aliasing back quite a bit. What sort of framerate is a must for you? If you are okay with around 40-50 fps then you should be good. Drop the resolution a bit and you will be able to crank the settings up a bit.

Have a look at this video of Alien Isolation on a GTX 750 ti. You can't always trust YT vids like this but this one seems genuine. To get max settings he dropped the resolution to 1360x768.

(Skip to 3:42 to see settings)

Edit: Oh and be careful with that PSU. If it is very old just open it up and make sure it isn't full of dust. Be careful though and don't start poking a metal screwdriver into the any of the components. Capacitors can still hold their charge and give you a proper zap. If it is mad dusty, get a can of compressed air to clean dust off.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

• 2 weeks later...

This is sharing the joke? This flat sounds like a barrel of laughs so. :P

Anyway back on topic before I get in trouble.

You will definitely be able to run it; but decent settings? Well that depends on what you expect from decent settings and framerate to be. At 1080p you will probably need to drop some of the more demanding options like shadows and anti aliasing back quite a bit. What sort of framerate is a must for you? If you are okay with around 40-50 fps then you should be good. Drop the resolution a bit and you will be able to crank the settings up a bit.

Have a look at this video of Alien Isolation on a GTX 750 ti. You can't always trust YT vids like this but this one seems genuine. To get max settings he dropped the resolution to 1360x768.

(Skip to 3:42 to see settings)

Edit: Oh and be careful with that PSU. If it is very old just open it up and make sure it isn't full of dust. Be careful though and don't start poking a metal screwdriver into the any of the components. Capacitors can still hold their charge and give you a proper zap. If it is mad dusty, get a can of compressed air to clean dust off.

Thanks, I was also looking at the 750ti but the AMD price drops are so tempting. PS it was a kind of sarcastic humour.