psu life time

seve6979

What do you mean by "life time"? Do you mean how long the PSU will be useful when it comes to hardware upgrades? Or actual functionality?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Expect somewhere between 2 years to 8 years...

And no, wattage does not play a significant factor in this... (Unless you're overloading it)

What do you mean by "life time"? Do you mean how long the PSU will be useful when it comes to hardware upgrades? Or actual functionality?

how long it will last before it brokes/loses power

typically the humble PSU can last in theory 11 years

but a good psu can last for 2 to 3 system builds

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

how long it will last before it brokes/loses power

Power supplies don't lose power. They just lose efficiency over time(because of the aging capacitors). I would say a decent power supply will last you at least 3 years.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

For that kind of build a 550w PSU will be just fine, but make sure it is a minimum of 80% efficient aka 80 Plus Bronze. Also add an SSD 60GB for a boot drive minimum.

@seve6979

Power supplies don't lose power. They just lose efficiency over time(because of the aging capacitors). I would say a decent power supply will last you at least 3 years.

I'd say longer than that, considering that warranty is often 5 years or even longer with good quality PSUs (at least with normal use, not pushing the limits).

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

I've never had a PSU last more than 6 years. Those were all cheap PSU's though. You might get more out of a better PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It all depends on quality of the internal components. To stay safe, don't keep a PSU longer than the duration of the warranty.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers