USB 3 pin snapped off motherboard

old reece frost

I was helping my cousin build a PC and one of the USB 3 pins snapped off, what can I/he do to make it work? or is there nothing we can do?

EDIT: one of these pins cCc9Z.png

wat

Define USB pin, as in the header on the motherboard, or the actual thing that you plug a USB device into?

wat

Define USB pin, as in the header on the motherboard, or the actual thing that you plug a USB device into?

One of  these cCc9Z.png

I was helping my cousin build a PC and one of the USB 3 pins snapped off, what can I/he do to make it work? or is there nothing we can do?

Is this the internal USB 3.0 header or the ones positioned at the rear I/O of the motherboard?

Can you not occupy another USB 3.0 port assuming you have more then 1 bank of highspeed blue ports?

Not 100% sure it'd be worth it to RMA'it for such a small damaged component (but that's just my opinion, up to you ofc.)

Like @WinNut wrote please elaborate your situation more. Maybe you could provide a picture?

You could buy a USB internal header & resolder it yourself but I wouldn't guarantee it'd work         ^       maybe it would o_O

Edited by wng_kingsley7

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

snippy!

Ahh, those.

You could try sticking a metal pin in there (like chopping up an unpainted metal paper clip) but I doubt it'll work.

Is this the internal USB 3.0 header or the ones positioned at the rear I/O of the motherboard?

Can you not occupy another USB 3.0 port assuming you have more then 1 bank of highspeed blue ports?

Not 100% sure it'd be worth it to RMA'it for such a small damaged component (but that's just my opinion, up to you ofc.)

Like @WinNut wrote please elaborate your situation more. Maybe you could provide a picture?

You could buy a USB internal header & resolder it yourself but I wouldn't guarantee it'd work         ^       maybe it would o_O

I edited my original post with a picture of what I mean