Trouble Deciding On Which Case To Use For Animation Build

I am currently having trouble on which case I want to use for my animation build, I have a few different cases in mind and all of them can house the components I need and also host a radiator for my CPU, I really would like some help to narrow it down to one. I am looking for maximum airflow and it will be hosting a single Corsair Hydro Series H100i 240mm Radiator for my AMD FX-8350 4ghz Socket AM3+ 8mb Cache processor, an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, multiple 3.5" internal HDDsand two Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance, with more buying added later on. Also I am going to need to transfer files quickly so I was looking into Hotswap and that the idea of plugging in a SSD or HDD is something I could really use rather than just USB or external HDD, allowing me to take one drive out of one computer and putting it into another without bothering to open up the case.

My Choices are narrowed down to,

NZXT Phantom 530 White (No Hotswap)

CM Storm Cooler Master Stryker (Hotswap)

Aerocool X-Predator X3 (Hotswap)

NZXT Phantom 240 (No Hotswap)

IN WIN GRone Full Tower Case (Hotswap)

NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower (No Hotswap)

I appreciate any input or questions you may have about configuration or usage of the system

Thanks in advance

CM Storm Stryker, that case is beast.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I am currently having trouble on which case I want to use for my animation build, I have a few different cases in mind and all of them can house the components I need and also host a radiator for my CPU, I really would like some help to narrow it down to one. I am looking for maximum airflow and it will be hosting a single Corsair Hydro Series H100i 240mm Radiator for my AMD FX-8350 4ghz Socket AM3+ 8mb Cache processor, an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, multiple 3.5" internal HDDsand two Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Vengeance, with more buying added later on. Also I am going to need to transfer files quickly so I was looking into Hotswap and that the idea of plugging in a SSD or HDD is something I could really use rather than just USB or external HDD, allowing me to take one drive out of one computer and putting it into another without bothering to open up the case.

My Choices are narrowed down to,

NZXT Phantom 530 White (No Hotswap)

CM Storm Cooler Master Stryker (Hotswap)

Aerocool X-Predator X3 (Hotswap)

NZXT Phantom 240 (No Hotswap)

IN WIN GRone Full Tower Case (Hotswap)

NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower (No Hotswap)

I appreciate any input or questions you may have about configuration or usage of the system

Thanks in advance

Considered the Entho Luxe? 

Then again the Styker seems to eat SSD's for breakfast..

208887-388851-800.jpg

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Why so many large cases?

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

You could just get a 5.25" hotswap rack. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am building a full tower pc due to the need for space for the components needed for animation, ie. large graphics cards, water cooling etc.

My budget is not really an option as I am willing to spend a lot on this build.

I am going to be located at home due to being an animation student and a lot of my 3D animations are high quality, extremely detailed and quite advanced for someone at my level on the course, this is putting a strain on the CPU and i need a more powerful one for rendering, in turn meaning I will also need water cooling to keep my CPU cool during long rendering periods that could take over 24hrs.

I will be using dual monitors as well so there can be sculpting on one screen and real time rendering on another.

My previous build was one that only cost me around £150 which is why I am upgrading to an advanced system due to the work load it will be put under.

I am building a full tower pc due to the need for space for the components needed for animation, ie. large graphics cards, water cooling etc.

My budget is not really an option as I am willing to spend a lot on this build.

I am going to be located at home due to being an animation student and a lot of my 3D animations are high quality, extremely detailed and quite advanced for someone at my level on the course, this is putting a strain on the CPU and i need a more powerful one for rendering, in turn meaning I will also need water cooling to keep my CPU cool during long rendering periods that could take over 24hrs.

I will be using dual monitors as well so there can be sculpting on one screen and real time rendering on another.

My previous build was one that only cost me around £150 which is why I am upgrading to an advanced system due to the work load it will be put under.

I wouldn't recommend wc'ing and instead putting the extra money into a better cpu like a 5820k or 5960x. Wc'ing isn't necessary unless you're pushing for more extreme oc's.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I wouldn't recommend wc'ing and instead putting the extra money into a better cpu like a 5820k or 5960x. Wc'ing isn't necessary unless you're pushing for more extreme oc's.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them. 

What is wc'ing?

I am pushing for OC'ing due to the knowledge that if my CPU is put under a lot of strain due to the 3D rendering I want there to be an OC'ing option just to push the computer that bit further rather than crashing the program.

The computers at my university run a 5820k and the program I use (Blender) has caused the computer to freeze up on more than one occasion, I read the logs about each render and the processor had just under the required amount of power to process the rendering meaning that for short instances and maybe for a few hours I need that OC'ing to get me just that little bit further

I am pushing for OC'ing due to the knowledge that if my CPU is put under a lot of strain due to the 3D rendering I want there to be an OC'ing option just to push the computer that bit further rather than crashing the program.

The computers at my university run a 5820k and the program I use (Blender) has caused the computer to freeze up on more than one occasion, I read the logs about each render and the processor had just under the required amount of power to process the rendering meaning that for short instances and maybe for a few hours I need that OC'ing to get me just that little bit further

You can oc without wc'ing. What's cooling the 5820k?

You can oc without wc'ing. What's cooling the 5820k?

I do believe the university decided to upgrade everything in the computer labs except the cooling and are most likely using the standard cpu heat sink that came with the processor.

I do believe the university decided to upgrade everything in the computer labs except the cooling and are most likely using the standard cpu heat sink that came with the processor.

Are you sure?--the 5820k usually doesn't come with a cooler.

Are you sure?--the 5820k usually doesn't come with a cooler.

Well if that is the case then they must have decided to get a cheap one, or similar to the ones you get with AMD CPUs because I know it is very low profile, also the cases are not accessible to open up due to them being locked inside large metal containers to stop people moving them or opening them up. I have asked the tecnicians and they say that it is just a standard heat sink.

Well if that is the case then they must have decided to get a cheap one, or similar to the ones you get with AMD CPUs because I know it is very low profile, also the cases are not accessible to open up due to them being locked inside large metal containers to stop people moving them or opening them up. I have asked the tecnicians and they say that it is just a standard heat sink.

That's probably why it's throttling. A cpu like the 5820k deserves some better cooling. 

That's probably why it's throttling. A cpu like the 5820k deserves some better cooling. 

Well that is why I wanted to use WC'ing but a self contained dual radiator, so it takes up less space in the case, rather than a high profile heatsink. I want to make sure that my entire build can be kept relatively cool and have maximum airflow.

Well that is why I wanted to use WC'ing but a self contained dual radiator, so it takes up less space in the case, rather than a high profile heatsink. I want to make sure that my entire build can be kept relatively cool and have maximum airflow.

Oh, I thought you were referring to a custom loop. An aio doesn't take up that much space and would easily fit into a decent mid tower or matx case. 

There are air coolers that cool as well as dual rad aio's like the NH-D15. 

Oh, I thought you were referring to a custom loop. An aio doesn't take up that much space and would easily fit into a decent mid tower or matx case. 

There are air coolers that cool as well as dual rad aio's like the NH-D15. 

I am not sure what it is but having something that large putting pressure on the motherboard makes me slightly nervous. That is why I was aiming for an aio cooler, however i was also needing help in finding a case that would host a 240/280mm radiator that would be able to be housed in the top of the case due to the fact I will be using four 1TB HDDsone for work, one for the backup, one for gaming and also one for the backup of the gaming HDD.

I am not sure what it is but having something that large putting pressure on the motherboard makes me slightly nervous. That is why I was aiming for an aio cooler, however i was also needing help in finding a case that would host a 240/280mm radiator that would be able to be housed in the top of the case due to the fact I will be using four 1TB HDDsone for work, one for the backup, one for gaming and also one for the backup of the gaming HDD.

That's why there's excellent mounting hardware that properly disperses the pressure throughout the board with a backplate. 

I'd suggest taking a look at the Arc Midi R2 if you haven't already. 

That's why there's excellent mounting hardware that properly disperses the pressure throughout the board with a backplate. 

I'd suggest taking a look at the Arc Midi R2 if you haven't already. 

I have looked at the midi R2 the only issue I have is with the two optical drive bay slots. The top will obviously be an optical drive, the second could be turned into a hotswap, but I have also been looking at card readers as well for different types of Camera memory cards. I like the idea of one ready to be used rather than needing to use a USB adapter taking up a USB slot.

I have looked at the midi R2 the only issue I have is with the two optical drive bay slots. The top will obviously be an optical drive, the second could be turned into a hotswap, but I have also been looking at card readers as well for different types of Camera memory cards. I like the idea of one ready to be used rather than needing to use a USB adapter taking up a USB slot.

Is an optical drive really necessary?

Is an optical drive really necessary?

I still use CDs and DVDs, a little old, I know, but some games i have are old and only available on disk, and I have like 200 CDs so i can use those instead of taking up 100 GBs of storage, also i have a lecturer who likes our animations to be burned onto DVD's for some strange reason, so I have to accomodate for that and also if they are large file sizes I would like to be able to send DVDs to people rather than allowing to access my cloud storage or send them a USB.

I still use CDs and DVDs, a little old, I know, but some games i have are old and only available on disk, and I have like 200 CDs so i can use those instead of taking up 100 GBs of storage, also i have a lecturer who likes our animations to be burned onto DVD's for some strange reason, so I have to accomodate for that and also if they are large file sizes I would like to be able to send DVDs to people rather than allowing to access my cloud storage or send them a USB.

That's interesting. I thought Vimeo or Youtube would've worked just fine instead. 

In that case, look at the N600 from Cooler Master. Other than that, the Phantom 530 or cheaper Source 530 are also great.

That's interesting. I thought Vimeo or Youtube would've worked just fine instead. 

In that case, look at the N600 from Cooler Master. Other than that, the Phantom 530 or cheaper Source 530 are also great.

I am really torn between the Phantom 530 or the CM Stryker, The Stryker because of the hotswap for SSD, storage compartment and carry handle, and the NZXT for its spacious design for lots of cooling and directional airflow. Does it come with a second internal fan housing or do I have to get that seperate?

I am really torn between the Phantom 530 or the CM Stryker, The Stryker because of the hotswap for SSD, storage compartment and carry handle, and the NZXT for its spacious design for lots of cooling and directional airflow. Does it come with a second internal fan housing or do I have to get that seperate?

The Stryker is huge and not that space efficient. 

To get a better understanding of the cases:

Internal fan housing?

The Stryker is huge and not that space efficient. 

To get a better understanding of the cases:

Internal fan housing?

The NZXT has a place for a fan to be placed behind the HDD cages and can be angled to direct the airflow, I can only see one and thought that I could get a second one as well.