Need help on picking a psu

WhatComesAround
Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Seems like you have experience (and you have a strix of your own), which is why I would like to ask you something, on the 980 Strix webpage under specs, it states it needs up to 300w and 6+8 pin power is required, what does this mean. (I think 850 has 6+2 pin, but I can't find out since the site is down here [nvm its back up] ).

Yes I have the strix, 6+2 cable means it's an 8 pin 

But this psu has all the cables you will need.

So I read the forum on choosing a PSU, and that didn't really help me. I really lack info on PSU's and hope you guys can help me out. I would love a PSU from Corsair or Cooler Master, but I don't know which one can support the system I am planning on building.

My system (building)

CPU - Intel i5 4690K

M/B - MSI Z79 gaming 5
Ram - Corsair Dominator 8GB ram (4 X 2)

GPU(s) - Asus Direct CU II GTX 980 Strix (Will SLI in future)(6+8 pin PCIe power required - what do they mean?)

Casing - Corsair Case ( dono which one yet)

SSD - Samsung Evo 120 GB

HDD - WD 2 TB

and I think that is it

Please help

So I read the forum on choosing a PSU, and that didn't really help me. I really lack info on PSU's and hope you guys can help me out. I would love a PSU from Corsair or Cooler Master, but I don't know which one can support the system I am planning on building.

My system (building)

CPU - Intel i5 4690K

M/B - MSI Z79 gaming 5

Ram - Corsair Dominator 8GB ram (4 X 2)

GPU(s) - Asus Direct CU II GTX 980 Strix (Will SLI in future)(6+8 pin PCIe power required - what do they mean?)

Casing - Corsair Case ( dono which one yet)

SSD - Samsung Evo 120 GB

HDD - WD 2 TB

and I think that is it

Please help

What's your budget I would go for a Corsair rm750.

What's your budget I would go for a Corsair rm750.

My budget is around $2000 usd and I have a questions, would the rm750 be able to support two strix's, i was thinking of getting the 850

My budget is around $2000 usd and I have a questions, would the rm750 be able to support two strix's, i was thinking of getting the 850

The rm750 will do it but it would be close with some good overclocking so I would go for a 850 just to be safe and a little future proof.,

The rm750 will do it but it would be close with some good overclocking so I would go for a 850 just to be safe and a little future proof.,

Seems like you have experience (and you have a strix of your own), which is why I would like to ask you something, on the 980 Strix webpage under specs, it states it needs up to 300w and 6+8 pin power is required, what does this mean. (I think 850 has 6+2 pin, but I can't find out since the site is down here [nvm its back up] ).

Thanks mate :)

Yes +1 for the 850 for the extra headroom for future upgrades.. I got the RM 800 myself and it's awesome..

CPU Intel Core i7-4790KCPU Cooler Corsair H100iMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM & Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM 
GPU MSI GTX 670 2GBCase NZXT H440 (Black/Red)Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-ModularOperating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)Keyboard Logitech K270 WirelessMouse Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse 
 Headset SteelSeries Siberia Headset & USB Sound cardSpeakers Creative Labs Inspire T6160 50W 5.1ch SpeakersUPS APC BackUPS Pro 1000Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5

We are happy to help.. But clicking on "Mark Solved" makes us all happier :)